Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Just in case anyone didn't see this on the home page.

https://instagram.com/p/7eApH2SwnV/?...=derryckjunior

Pretty,pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Just in case anyone didn't see this on the home page.

https://instagram.com/p/7eApH2SwnV/?...=derryckjunior

Pretty,pretty cool...
    Geez, kids, somebody could get hurt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Amile started 26 games and played 21+ mpg in each of the past two seasons, and this year he'll be a senior-captain. Are you asking whether those numbers will go down in 2015-16? Or are you asking if he'll get 25+ mpg? 30+ mpg? Or what?
    Do I really have to answer that?
    Methinks we need a sarcasm font.

Learning from the best?

Am I the only who thinks that Grayson and Luke are thoroughly unimpressed by JJ's jumpshot?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Am I the only who thinks that Grayson and Luke are thoroughly unimpressed by JJ's jumpshot?
    Probably. They look relaxed to me, but what do I know?

I love that JJ is back at Duke working out. As I have followed his pro career, and read/listened to his interviews, I always get the sense that he attempts to distance himself from his Duke experience in a specific way. From afar, it seems like he and K are close, and he is proud to be one of the most decorated players ever at the school, but I always get the sense that (A) he didn't like the cocky persona he projected on the court and (B) he is disappointed at his relative lack of NCAA tournament success. I think coming into the pros as a "Player of the Year" who used to shuck and jive around the court was a reputation he had a hard time overcoming and he is happy now to be a highly respected and humble NBA professional viewed by most in the league as an excellent teammate. As he nears the end of his pro career (next few seasons I assume) I hope he'll show up on campus more often.

My read of Luke, Grayson and Matt Jones' expressions are focused concentration. Grayson does seem to be slouching, I am pretty sure he's trying to get a better angle on JJ's footwork, or maybe the cushion has a tear, or maybe he's trying to take weight off a floor burn, or maybe...

My first thought was this picture reminded me of kids (Jones, Kennard, Allen) waiting forever for their turn on Pacman, stuck behind a kid (Redick) that is just killing it and doesn't lose his turn.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I'm wondering why multimillionaire JJ Redick works out in those ridiculous 3/4 length sweats.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    My first thought was this picture reminded me of kids (Jones, Kennard, Allen) waiting forever for their turn on Pacman, stuck behind a kid (Redick) that is just killing it and doesn't lose his turn.
    Yes! Even better, the kid who goes over to his friends' house and his friend has some cool new toy - like maybe a little battery operated car that he can drive - and the friend just drives around on it and never shares. Maybe I am remembering something from my own youth and maybe I had a friend named Dave who had such a car and no Mom around where we were playing to tell him to share and I couldn't just leave and walk home...

Hahaha. Solid analogy. I was one of those kids waiting for Goldeneye (Pacman was a little before my time ).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

My thought was that the young guys are learning the precise moment to kick their legs out and draw 3 FT or the "and 1."

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My thought was that the young guys are learning the precise moment to kick their legs out and draw 3 FT or the "and 1."

If that's the case, where are the members of the coaching staff? You know, for instruction purposes.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Is Tyus teaching that right after JJ's tutorial on the most beautiful jump shot ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    If that's the case, where are the members of the coaching staff? You know, for instruction purposes.
    Is Tyus teaching that right after JJ's tutorial on the most beautiful jump shot ever?
    You guys (and I use that term loosely with Bieber), knew I was just "fishing" for comments with my post.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

You guys (and I use that term loosely with Bieber), knew I was just "fishing" for comments with my post.
    For "weizen" comments, if I'm not mistaken. Whether that means "hefeweizen" or "kristallweizen" is up to you.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Check out the 2015 Nike Hoop Summit which is an All Star game that is actually played like a real game with intensity and defense/team concept. This game is full of future pros, and a bunch of our freshmen, so it's fun to watch anyway:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5gl1mXKgi4

I think the idea is that Kennard is an offensive guru - a guy who can not only score but had tremendous feel for where to be, and where the ball needs to go. He kind of reminds me of Scheyer in that respect. What we don't know is whether or not his D is good enough to earn him PT over guys like Matt Jones.
    Awesome! Thanks for the link. I watched the whole 2015 Hoop Summit (doesn't actually take all that long if you skip commercials) and these are my untrained take-aways.

Luke is a great scorer, very opportunistic and knows how to move to the space to get high % shots. Knocks them down too. He'll score decently in his game minutes next year, but I do have concerns with how he'll adjust to shot-creation at the college level. Dude got his shot sent back a couple times this game, and I think he'll struggle at first with the higher level of athleticism in the ACC.

Luke's defense was OK. I mean, he wasn't a lockdown defender but wasn't a sieve either. The little Italian guard Mussini seemed to make shots over Luke easily, but they were well-guarded, so maybe Mussini was just feeling it. Hard to say from one game. He wasn't given the assignment of guarding Jamal Murray, so I don't know how he'll fare against college-level athletes. Big question mark.

Chase - solid player. I doubt he's OAD material, 2AD at best. Got his shot swatted repeatedly, so I think his HS offensive repertoire may translate incompletely to college. I liked that he didn't give up trying to score even after a series of early blocks. He did play solid defense.

Ingram - what a smooth scorer. In contrast to Luke/Chase, it looked like he could get his shot off anytime, and he sunk them. Seemed to move pretty well on defense. Hopefully he can gain enough strength to guard other 4s. Ingram would be a HUGE mismatch against most other PFs.

Jamal Murray - kid is going to be real good next year. His UK commitment really took their ceiling for 2016 to the next level.

Really wish Derryck Thornton played. Would've been great to see him against other top-level players in a real game.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Solid article about Duke on ESPN

It's starting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nse-and-repeat

Bottomline: a lot of questions about this year's team, but a ton of upside.