Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Colangelo said he knows who he wants. A year ago, I think Billy Donovan was in line to be the next national coach. He paid his dues on the under-19 team.

But now that he's a NBA coach, I think he's out of it. It will either be a retired coach or a college coach ... not an active NBA coach.
    I think being an NBA coach may enhance, not lower Donovan's chances. K was a unique talent, who was hired as much to build the Team USA program as to coach the team. Now the program needs to be maintained. Now the Team USA coach needs to be able to relate to the star NBA players. If Donovan does well with the Thunder, he would strengthen his chances of being selected. Other NBA choices might be Steve Kerr or Spoelstra. Pop is the guy with the credentials, but we'll see... Brad Stephens would have to be considered.

Who would be the college coaches on the short list? Calapari, Pitino, and Izzo would probably leap at the chance. A younger candidates might be Sean Miller. Tony Bennett is a terrific coach but his style may not best utilize our NBA talent.

Anyway, we won't have to worry about this for another year, unless Colangelo and K want the new coach to be on next year's staff.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Are the 2020 games in a world-class wine region? That could lure Pop. Otherwise, I don't see it. I get the sense he would have already quit basketball several years ago if Timmy hadn't found that youth potion in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think K coaches the USA because it is a great honor, and it's a lot of fun for him to do, but let's not be naive and think that there is no ulterior motive. His relationship with the top NBA players as well as their endorsements of he and his coaching style have undoubtedly helped Duke basketball as well as our recruiting.
    Coaching team USA is a recruiting advantage, and one that K uses, but I actually believe that it was kind of an inadvertent result of coaching the national team, rather than the sole reason for it which I believe Cal would do and what I think A Woj believes (chotch).

Like, K isn't going to not recruit kids some kids who think its cool he coaches Team USA because it may be an unfair advantage. Team USA coaching also gives his assistants valuable experience and exposure.

I agree with you that coach K is with team USA because it is a great honour and is a lot of fun for him and a great way to keep him excited and challenged coaching. But I think you should have read Owen Meany's post first before stating that recruiting has anything to do with the reason he took the job. The only reason that it could have become an advantage, even though it has taken he and his staff off the recruiting trail at certain times, is because he and Colangelo and the commitment of the top players have completely changed the culture of the program and highlighted what an amazing coach, leader and mentor he is. Taking the job did not in any way give him a recruiting advantage. Completely overhauling the program over the last decade, succeeding where others failed and showing great leadership reinforced that he is the best college basketball coach and has built the best college basketball program. That resonates with a lot of recruits and their families.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Coach K has made the USA coaching gig a very much sought after position. It is seen now as a significant recruiting advantage. Its very easy to forget that, when Coach K accepted the position, the USA was coming off several losses in international play, that players weren't eager to be a part of the team, and that the USA team was not well respected either on or off the court. Jerry Colangelo and Coach K have done a masterful job of changing that.

When Coach K first accepted the job it was viewed as a distraction that would take time and energy away from his duties at Duke. An Olympic loss would certainly not have strengthened Coach K's legacy or his standing with high school recruits. There was significant risk involved, particularly given that it was uncertain what players would buy in (does anyone remember the grumbling that pro players would not buy into Coach K's style - he was too demanding, too authoritative?). Coach K, along with Colangelo, had to change the entire culture of USA basketball.

Its a coveted job now because he made it so. USA basketball is now cool, from the youngest teams to the pros. He benefited from his success and from what he created. And before accepting this reclamation project, Coach K had been heavily committed to USA basketball for many years. From the USA basketball site - Since 1979 he has been involved as a coach with 14 USA teams and has helped lead the U.S. to 10 gold medals, two silver medals and two bronze medals. To put this in perspective, the 1979 team included Isiah Thomas and Ralph Sampson, and I'm fairly certain that the Pan American games garnered very little media attention. I still remember Coach K bringing the Laettner and Mourning FIBA team into Cameron to publicly scrimmage against Banks and Dawkins. He coached Pan American Games, World Games, Fiba , Goodwill Games, and even National Sports Festival teams when there were no pros, tv coverage, media attention, etc. None of this touches on Coach K's West Point background or his continued involvement with the USA armed forces.

So, finally getting to my point, Coach K earned the opportunity to coach USA basketball. I doubt there will ever be another coach who has shown to be as devoted to USA basketball, so it would be unfair to compare the next coach to Coach K. I hope that whoever steps into the position and benefits from what Coach K has built is someone who has shown a longstanding commitment to USA basketball. Someone who has paid dues at the lower levels of USA basketball, as an assistant, etc. when the only benefit to be gained was the pride of coaching your country and helping young players develop. The last thing I want to see is someone like Calipari, who, from my reading of the nasty Wojo article, seems to see the USA coaching gig as a recruiting tool to help himself. It is my belief, and hope, that Colangelo values USA basketball such that he will look for someone who has shown a commitment to USA basketball in the past. He requires it of the players, so I can't imagine it not applying to the coach as well. Colangelo's first choice as coach was masterful - he absolutely chose the right man for the job. I trust he will be very careful and thoughtful that the next coach is able to continue to maintain what took a long time and a lot of hard work to create.
    THIS.

I have a hard time believing Calipari will receive serious consideration for the Team USA job, for three reasons:

1) He's already coached for another country
    2) His stint with the Nets was a calamity
    3) Is this really the guy people would want representing the USA within the international community?

I personally would be excited to see Jason's speculation play out that Pop could retire from the NBA (thus eliminating the conflict associated with coaching players from rival teams) and take over Team USA. He's by far the best man for the job. He might need to work on his interview skills a bit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    ... I personally would be excited to see Jason's speculation play out that Pop could retire from the NBA (thus eliminating the conflict associated with coaching players from rival teams) and take over Team USA. He's by far the best man for the job. He might need to work on his interview skills a bit, though.
    That's one reason Jeff Capel would be a lead assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That's one reason Jeff Capel would be a lead assistant coach.
    And brad Stevens as assistant coach too...

So - the question that this rises, but has not been addressed (not that I really want to address it) is: What does this imply for K's tenure at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    So - the question that this rises, but has not been addressed (not that I really want to address it) is: What does this imply for K's tenure at Duke?
    Nothing, IMO. K will retire at some point. It is wholly unrelated to USA Basketball, which is due to move to other hands regardless.

Again, JMhO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    It might even add some years to his Duke career. On the other hand, I think he has already made plans for his departure, and he won't just call in sick. When did he announce his departure from the USA Basketball coaching gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Everything I've read or heard suggests that Colangelo will NOT pick an active NBA coach. There was a lot of talk when K first got the job about how every NBA coach brings baggage and jealousies.

If he's going to take an active NBA coach, I'd definitely take Popovich.
    Agree on Pop and what you're saying makes sense re: NBA coaches vs non-NBA coaches. I'm guessing it was that thinking that got him to K in the first place. I just struggle to see where he's gonna get a guy in the college ranks that can be nearly as effective as K was. Izzo is the only guy that I think could do it as or nearly as well. It may be that the talent gap is so wide that it doesn't matter, but it was thinking like that that got us into a rut in the first place.

No shock about it being K's last run with team USA.

I think it's pretty clear it's a better plan for the team to NOT use an NBA coach. There is a lot of conflicting issues going on when you do that, especially in this age of free agency. Maybe if Pop retires from the Spurs between now and then he would be a good choice. If not, I really like the idea of Shaka Smart. The US, with their depth and talent and bench should embrace a lot of his havoc concepts for international play.

Coach K has earned the right to have a lot of influence with Colangelo on who will replace him as the next USA head coach and who will not replace him. There is a ton of respect both ways. Both K and Colangelo read the idiotic quotes from Cal. There is no way Cal gets the job based on many of the things he has said over the years about K, Duke and USA. The next coach is either already selected or I can see Coach K being part of the interview process.
    The Terrapin Assassin

I'm surpised Izzo's name hasn't been mentioned yet. I can't see an active NBA coach getting the gig. Just feels like a conflict of interest.

Wouldn't MJ get a say in who the next USA Coach would be? He's really shown he knows how to build a winning team

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I'm surpised Izzo's name hasn't been mentioned yet. I can't see an active NBA coach getting the gig. Just feels like a conflict of interest.
    A number of people, including OF, have either said or implied this. This is TEAM USA! It's bigger than NBA free agency. I tend to think the next coach will be from the NBA. Krzyzewski, while not sui generis, is pretty darned close. Not to toot the Duke horn too loudly -- leadership, organization skills, and coaching don't always come in the same package. The need now is for leadership and coaching, since the organization of Team USA seems to be in good shape.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I mentioned him only 3 posts earlier

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    ...I just struggle to see where he's gonna get a guy in the college ranks that can be nearly as effective as K was. Izzo is the only guy that I think could do it as or nearly as well. It may be that the talent gap is so wide that it doesn't matter, but it was thinking like that that got us into a rut in the first place.

I love the "Who Succeeds K with Team USA Debate" and have weighed in many times, but the leaders change all the time.

Gregg Popovich:
    There has been a lot of debate as to whether or not it can be an NBA coach due to time commitment and conflict of interest. I side with those who say if an NBA coach is the right guy for the job, then give him the job. In truth, since 1992, K is the only non-NBA coach to hold the post following Chuck Daly, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Rudy T., George Karl and Larry Brown. To me, Pop is the runaway best candidate as the players all respect him and he'd certainly respect the challenge as he holds non-US basketball in high esteem. But, and it's a huge but, he and Colangelo aren't exactly friends, and Pop feels he was snubbed when K got the job. This article spells it all out:
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/03...-make-it-work/
    So, there's friction there.

Billy Donovan:
    Before he took the OKC job, I thought the USA job was his for the taking based on his steady dues paying in the USA Basketball world. He's coached teams nearly every summer for years, enjoyed great success, gotten old enough to have a more tenured feel to him, etc. If he does well with Westbrook and Durant, especially if both guys decide to stay in OKC and he's one of the reasons why, I would not count him out.

Cal:
    I also think Cal is a serious candidate, and while he whines about K's advantages, he has not so subtly been sucking up to Colangelo in a number of ways. He participated as a coach at last year's USA Basketball Fantasy camp, he spoke to their conference on youth coaching, and he has had many glowing things to say about how the USA Basketball experience helped his former Kentucky players like AD and Boogie. Aside from recruiting Karl Towns, I think the entire reason he coached the DR team was to build his FIBA resume so that he'd be considered for the job. I think he's the #1 college coaching candidate.

Brad Stevens:
    He has already garnered HUGE respect from the players in the league that have been on his teams, and that word is starting to spread through the league, because they think he's smart, prepared and, most importantly, a guy who knows when to push and when to lay off. If you check the history books, he's also logged quite a few Team USA coaching stints so he has equity.

Other pro coaches:
    Considering the guys currently on the staff or recently on the staff, I think Thibs is probably the most likely, but I think his intensity scares players. Unlike Stevens, he doesn't know how to lay off. Doc Rivers has been considered a potential candidate because he's such a "players coach". If we consider the other guys considered the best in the biz, Rick Carlisle may just be too outside the Colangelo/USA Basketball world to warrant consideration. Spoelstra is a young, well respected coach who played internationally so I think he'd at least be thought of, but would also be a long shot. Kerr is likely just too short into his NBA tenure, but he and Colangelo likely have a Suns-related relationship.

Other college coaches:
    Like others, I don't share Jason's enthusiasm for Miller's chances. I think he's a great coach, but I don't think he's accomplished enough to warrant a serious look...ditto for USA Basketball vet Tony Bennett. Mark Few and Shaka are further up the food chain, but not quite high enough. Izzo is intriguing, he also has Team USA coaching experience but it is already 10 years old and he hasn't done anything related lately. Bill Self has never coached with USA Basketball. Rick Pitino has the experience coaching the Puerto Rican national team, but I think he's rep with the pros may be too polarizing.

I think Pop, Donovan and Cal are the 3 lead dogs with Stevens as the dark horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I love the "Who Succeeds K with Team USA Debate" and have weighed in many times, but the leaders change all the time.

Gregg Popovich:
    There has been a lot of debate as to whether or not it can be an NBA coach due to time commitment and conflict of interest. I side with those who say if an NBA coach is the right guy for the job, then give him the job. In truth, since 1992, K is the only non-NBA coach to hold the post following Chuck Daly, Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Rudy T., George Karl and Larry Brown. To me, Pop is the runaway best candidate as the players all respect him and he'd certainly respect the challenge as he holds non-US basketball in high esteem. But, and it's a huge but, he and Colangelo aren't exactly friends, and Pop feels he was snubbed when K got the job. This article spells it all out:
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/03...-make-it-work/
    So, there's friction there.

Billy Donovan:
    Before he took the OKC job, I thought the USA job was his for the taking based on his steady dues paying in the USA Basketball world. He's coached teams nearly every summer for years, enjoyed great success, gotten old enough to have a more tenured feel to him, etc. If he does well with Westbrook and Durant, especially if both guys decide to stay in OKC and he's one of the reasons why, I would not count him out.

Cal:
    I also think Cal is a serious candidate, and while he whines about K's advantages, he has not so subtly been sucking up to Colangelo in a number of ways. He participated as a coach at last year's USA Basketball Fantasy camp, he spoke to their conference on youth coaching, and he has had many glowing things to say about how the USA Basketball experience helped his former Kentucky players like AD and Boogie. Aside from recruiting Karl Towns, I think the entire reason he coached the DR team was to build his FIBA resume so that he'd be considered for the job. I think he's the #1 college coaching candidate.

Brad Stevens:
    He has already garnered HUGE respect from the players in the league that have been on his teams, and that word is starting to spread through the league, because they think he's smart, prepared and, most importantly, a guy who knows when to push and when to lay off. If you check the history books, he's also logged quite a few Team USA coaching stints so he has equity.

Other pro coaches:
    Considering the guys currently on the staff or recently on the staff, I think Thibs is probably the most likely, but I think his intensity scares players. Unlike Stevens, he doesn't know how to lay off. Doc Rivers has been considered a potential candidate because he's such a "players coach". If we consider the other guys considered the best in the biz, Rick Carlisle may just be too outside the Colangelo/USA Basketball world to warrant consideration. Spoelstra is a young, well respected coach who played internationally so I think he'd at least be thought of, but would also be a long shot. Kerr is likely just too short into his NBA tenure, but he and Colangelo likely have a Suns-related relationship.

Other college coaches:
    Like others, I don't share Jason's enthusiasm for Miller's chances. I think he's a great coach, but I don't think he's accomplished enough to warrant a serious look...ditto for USA Basketball vet Tony Bennett. Mark Few and Shaka are further up the food chain, but not quite high enough. Izzo is intriguing, he also has Team USA coaching experience but it is already 10 years old and he hasn't done anything related lately. Bill Self has never coached with USA Basketball. Rick Pitino has the experience coaching the Puerto Rican national team, but I think he's rep with the pros may be too polarizing.

I think Pop, Donovan and Cal are the 3 lead dogs with Stevens as the dark horse.
    This is a great analysis. Thanks Billy.

I think it's gonna come down to two factors and two factors alone. One, will [xxx] candidate want the position? Pop clearly is the most qualified candidate, but does he really want it? I'm not sure he does. Pop loves his personal time and I'm not sure he would coach this team if it's too much of a commitment. Donovan may not want it either given that he has zero NBA credibility. Cal clearly wants it for the recruits, and Stevens - like you said - already has credibility and may want to use it to draw free agents to Boston.

The second factor is motivation. Coach K's great asset to the team is motivating these megastars to play for their countries without the pay. It's a tall order to ask, but Coach K is arguably the best motivator in all of basketball (and possibly US team sports). I don't think a coach needs to have the top x's and o's or be a "Player's Coach"; I think he (or she) needs to get the best out of the Lebrons, the Currys, and the Hardens of the the US. A motivated US team cannot lose, even if the coach's x's and o's are that of Ole Roy's without a speedy PG.

Bottomline, if a coach wants the job and is excellent at motivating his players, he's the best candidate. That's why I think that Calipari or Stevens gets the job. They both fit the criteria.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This is a great analysis. Thanks Billy.

I think it's gonna come down to two factors and two factors alone. One, will [xxx] candidate want the position? Pop clearly is the most qualified candidate, but does he really want it? I'm not sure he does. Pop loves his personal time and I'm not sure he would coach this team if it's too much of a commitment. Donovan may not want it either given that he has zero NBA credibility. Cal clearly wants it for the recruits, and Stevens - like you said - already has credibility and may want to use it to draw free agents to Boston.

The second factor is motivation. Coach K's great asset to the team is motivating these megastars to play for their countries without the pay. It's a tall order to ask, but Coach K is arguably the best motivator in all of basketball (and possibly US team sports). I don't think a coach needs to have the top x's and o's or be a "Player's Coach"; I think he (or she) needs to get the best out of the Lebrons, the Currys, and the Hardens of the the US. A motivated US team cannot lose, even if the coach's x's and o's are that of Ole Roy's without a speedy PG.

Bottomline, if a coach wants the job and is excellent at motivating his players, he's the best candidate. That's why I think that Calipari or Stevens gets the job. They both fit the criteria.
    Maybe this is why Cal has not taken any of the NBA openings the last couple years. If he thinks he has a shot at coaching the national team then that would quench his thirst to coach pros (UK jokes aside) and he could reap the recruiting benefits he sees K getting. I agree with some of the posters that mentioned it took close to 10 years for K to reap some of the recruiting rewards of coaching the national team. If Cal coaches the pros and they lose then it won't be quite the windfall he thought.