Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2016 to be Coach K's last year with Team USA?

To those of you who have yet to hear the news, 2016 will presumably be Coach K's final year as the head coach of the United States national team, according to USA Basketball executive director Jerry Colangelo.

Read more here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jerry-c...161049175.html

This is extremely saddening news, especially because it seems to have already started the discussion of whether Coach K will let go of the reigns at Duke anytime soon.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Also, who do you think might succeed Coach K as the next head coach of Team USA?

I firmly believe with a growing family,the rigorous demands on his time, K has to slow down a little. Duke will not suffer.

I don't think this is at all surprising. K tried to step down after the 2012 Olympics, but Jerry Colengelo took him out to dinner and sweet-talked K into another four-year hitch. At the time, K made it pretty clear that was the end for him.

I don't think this has much impact -- one way or the other -- with K's eventual decision to step down at Duke. He made it clear this summer that he's "not close to retiring" (his words) ... I think as long as he's healthy, he'll hang around. I don't think he has a planned retirement target. Instead, he'll wake up one day and not have the energy/interest to continue ... that's when he calls it quits. But again, don't see that day in the near future.

A more interesting question is who replaces K with the national team?

Colengelo said he knows who he wants. A year ago, I think Billy Donovan was in line to be the next national coach. He paid his dues on the under-19 team.

But now that he's a NBA coach, I think he's out of it. It will either be a retired coach or a college coach ... not an active NBA coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't think this is at all surprising. K tried to step down after the 2012 Olympics, but Jerry Colengelo took him out to dinner and sweet-talked K into another four-year hitch. At the time, K made it pretty clear that was the end for him.

I don't think this has much impact -- one way or the other -- with K's eventual decision to step down at Duke. He made it clear this summer that he's "not close to retiring" (his words) ... I think as long as he's healthy, he'll hang around. I don't think he has a planned retirement target. Instead, he'll wake up one day and not have the energy/interest to continue ... that's when he calls it quits. But again, don't see that day in the near future.

Colengelo said he knows who he wants. A year ago, I think Billy Donovan was in line to be the next national coach. He paid his dues on the under-19 team.

But now that he's a NBA coach, I think he's out of it. It will either be a retired coach or a college coach ... not an active NBA coach.
    Larry Brown might be available...

(kidding, kidding)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

... A more interesting question is who replaces K with the national team?

I would think it is Popovich's if he wants it. He has paid his dues and has the respect of the top players and coaches. At 66, he may not be interested in a commitment for age 71.

This. K didn't want to do this tour. No surprise.

K has said that he will coach until he figures he cannot bring the fire and energy to give the level of effort his kids deserve. Hope that is a long time, but when it comes it comes. It is amazing how much passion and energy he spends as it is. For those under thirty five or so, gonna tell 'ya -- enjoy boundless energy while you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

K has said that he will coach until he figures he cannot bring the fire and energy to give the level of effort his kids deserve. Hope that is a long time, but when it comes it comes. It is amazing how much passion and energy he spends as it is. For those under thirty five or so, gonna tell 'ya -- enjoy boundless energy while you still have it.
    Coach K will finish with 10 years of service as head coach of Team USA, a 71-1 record so far, 2 FIBA World Championships, 2 Olympic Gold Medals, and counting.
    In addition to his collegiate career, he ranks among the greatest International coaches of all-time. Yeah, I'd say he's done enough with his part-time job.

Exercise daily, eat a nutritious diet, avoid excessive recreational drug use, and get 7-8 hours of sleep/night, and it lasts way past 35. You just can't keep burning the candle at both ends and and not feel the impact once you leave your 20s.

The most obvious choice is Sean Miller. He just coached the U-19 team, which is the closest thing we have to the Senior National Team that K coaches. He is also based in Tuscon, which means he and Jerry Colangelo have probably run into each other once or twice or a thousand times. I'd make Miller the front-runner.

Here is a thought -- Pop retires from the daily grind of the NBA in 2017 (along with Tim Duncan) and takes over as National Team Coach. It is not a job that requires him to travel a lot all the time. He would have long periods of down time and would really only have to work during the summers. Might be a nice way to transition away from being a full time coach and into retirement. If Pop is willing to do that, he'd be a great choice, though he would probably only take the job for one Olympic cycle due to his age. I'm not so sure he would want to do that though.

I could also see them considering Mark Few at Gonzaga. He is very active in international recruiting so he knows the international game. But, I'm not sure he would have the instant respect of the NBA guys that is so crucial to making this work.

I could see USA Basketball making a statement and hiring an African American coach. Shaka Smart was an assistant coach on the U-19 team a couple years ago. Not sure if that qualifies him but it would sure seem to help his case. If Texas rises up under his leadership the next couple seasons, he could be a real trendy pick.

Of course, the only guy who can come close to matching K's international coaching experience... a guy who is quite well-connected to the NBA and knows a lot of the players who would be strong candidates for the team... is John Calipari. I would not be at all surprised if he got the nod when K steps aside. It would be hard to argue with that selection.

-Jason "I'd put the odds like this -- Calipari - 20%, Miller- 20%, Pops - 15%, field - 45%" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Brad Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The most obvious choice is Sean Miller. He just coached the U-19 team, which is the closest thing we have to the Senior National Team that K coaches. He is also based in Tuscon, which means he and Jerry Colangelo have probably run into each other once or twice or a thousand times. I'd make Miller the front-runner.

Here is a thought -- Pop retires from the daily grind of the NBA in 2017 (along with Tim Duncan) and takes over as National Team Coach. It is not a job that requires him to travel a lot all the time. He would have long periods of down time and would really only have to work during the summers. Might be a nice way to transition away from being a full time coach and into retirement. If Pop is willing to do that, he'd be a great choice, though he would probably only take the job for one Olympic cycle due to his age. I'm not so sure he would want to do that though.

I could also see them considering Mark Few at Gonzaga. He is very active in international recruiting so he knows the international game. But, I'm not sure he would have the instant respect of the NBA guys that is so crucial to making this work.

I could see USA Basketball making a statement and hiring an African American coach. Shaka Smart was an assistant coach on the U-19 team a couple years ago. Not sure if that qualifies him but it would sure seem to help his case. If Texas rises up under his leadership the next couple seasons, he could be a real trendy pick.

Of course, the only guy who can come close to matching K's international coaching experience... a guy who is quite well-connected to the NBA and knows a lot of the players who would be strong candidates for the team... is John Calipari. I would not be at all surprised if he got the nod when K steps aside. It would be hard to argue with that selection.

-Jason "I'd put the odds like this -- Calipari - 20%, Miller- 20%, Pops - 15%, field - 45%" Evans
    Jason, excellent speculation ... but you may have missed one point in regard to Calipari and his chances.

Do you remember the Adrian Wojnarowski story last September that absolutely trashed USA Basketball and Coach K?

Much of the venom came from Mark Cuban, an outspoken opponent of using NBA players in USA Basketball (at least when he and the other NBA owners don't make any direct money by allowing "their" players to play internationally). But a substantial part of the story was basically Calipari's jealous attack of K or using his position with USA Basketball to help his recruiting.

That can't have helped him with Colangelo -- who is, after all, K's buddy. Plus, in all his years as a coach, Calipari has NEVER participated in USA Basketball. His only international experience that I know of was a brief stint as head coach of the Dominican Republic National team (which was basically a recruiting venture to get young big man Karl Anthony-Towns).

I have a hard time believing that Colangelo would reward Calipari for his venomous attack on K by giving him K's job. Cal's lack of support for USA Basketball over the years would also work against him. And I don't think 18 months as coach of the Dominican team would qualify as "coming close to K's international experience."

I also have problems with Sean Miller. You dismiss Mark Few by suggesting that he doesn't have the instant respect of the NBA guys. Does Miller -- a guy who's never even been to a Final Four? He's awfully young and he only took over the under 19 team this summer after Donovan went pro.

I like your Popovich idea best. It makes a lot of sense that he retires after next season and eases into retirement as the USA National Team coach. I also think you're right that he does it just one cycle -- through the 2018 World Championship and the 2020 Olympics. But that would provide a four-year cushion for Miller to gain experience with the under 19 team and to build his resume at Arizona.

... I also have problems with Sean Miller. You dismiss Mark Few by suggesting that he doesn't have the instant respect of the NBA guys. Does Miller -- a guy who's never even been to a Final Four? He's awfully young and he only took over the under 19 team this summer after Donovan went pro...
    I agree about Sean Miller and Mark Few. Both are good coaches, and may have international experience. But, will they command the respect of the NBA players? I think that's where Coach K excelled... and was the KEY to the success of Team USA. Unfortunately, like at Duke, Coach K has set a pretty high bar with Team USA...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I agree about Sean Miller and Mark Few. Both are good coaches, and may have international experience. But, will they command the respect of the NBA players? I think that's where Coach K excelled... and was the KEY to the success of Team USA. Fortunately, like at Duke, Coach K has set a pretty high bar with Team USA...
    Fixed

Coach K has made the USA coaching gig a very much sought after position. It is seen now as a significant recruiting advantage. Its very easy to forget that, when Coach K accepted the position, the USA was coming off several losses in international play, that players weren't eager to be a part of the team, and that the USA team was not well respected either on or off the court. Jerry Colangelo and Coach K have done a masterful job of changing that.

When Coach K first accepted the job it was viewed as a distraction that would take time and energy away from his duties at Duke. An Olympic loss would certainly not have strengthened Coach K's legacy or his standing with high school recruits. There was significant risk involved, particularly given that it was uncertain what players would buy in (does anyone remember the grumbling that pro players would not buy into Coach K's style - he was too demanding, too authoritative?). Coach K, along with Colangelo, had to change the entire culture of USA basketball.

Its a coveted job now because he made it so. USA basketball is now cool, from the youngest teams to the pros. He benefited from his success and from what he created. And before accepting this reclamation project, Coach K had been heavily committed to USA basketball for many years. From the USA basketball site - Since 1979 he has been involved as a coach with 14 USA teams and has helped lead the U.S. to 10 gold medals, two silver medals and two bronze medals. To put this in perspective, the 1979 team included Isiah Thomas and Ralph Sampson, and I'm fairly certain that the Pan American games garnered very little media attention. I still remember Coach K bringing the Laettner and Mourning FIBA team into Cameron to publicly scrimmage against Banks and Dawkins. He coached Pan American Games, World Games, Fiba , Goodwill Games, and even National Sports Festival teams when there were no pros, tv coverage, media attention, etc. None of this touches on Coach K's West Point background or his continued involvement with the USA armed forces.

So, finally getting to my point, Coach K earned the opportunity to coach USA basketball. I doubt there will ever be another coach who has shown to be as devoted to USA basketball, so it would be unfair to compare the next coach to Coach K. I hope that whoever steps into the position and benefits from what Coach K has built is someone who has shown a longstanding commitment to USA basketball. Someone who has paid dues at the lower levels of USA basketball, as an assistant, etc. when the only benefit to be gained was the pride of coaching your country and helping young players develop. The last thing I want to see is someone like Calipari, who, from my reading of the nasty Wojo article, seems to see the USA coaching gig as a recruiting tool to help himself. It is my belief, and hope, that Colangelo values USA basketball such that he will look for someone who has shown a commitment to USA basketball in the past. He requires it of the players, so I can't imagine it not applying to the coach as well. Colangelo's first choice as coach was masterful - he absolutely chose the right man for the job. I trust he will be very careful and thoughtful that the next coach is able to continue to maintain what took a long time and a lot of hard work to create.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    So, finally getting to my point, Coach K earned the opportunity to coach USA basketball. I doubt there will ever be another coach who has shown to be as devoted to USA basketball, so it would be unfair to compare the next coach to Coach K. I hope that whoever steps into the position and benefits from what Coach K has built is someone who has shown a longstanding commitment to USA basketball. Someone who has paid dues at the lower levels of USA basketball, as an assistant, etc. when the only benefit to be gained was the pride of coaching your country and helping young players develop. The last thing I want to see is someone like Calipari, who, from my reading of the nasty Wojo article, seems to see the USA coaching gig as a recruiting tool to help himself. It is my belief, and hope, that Colangelo values USA basketball such that he will look for someone who has shown a commitment to USA basketball in the past. He requires it of the players, so I can't imagine it not applying to the coach as well. Colangelo's first choice as coach was masterful - he absolutely chose the right man for the job. I trust he will be very careful and thoughtful that the next coach is able to continue to maintain what took a long time and a lot of hard work to create.
    No way... around these parts, Adrien Wojnarowski can not be referred to as Wojo. There is only one Wojo on DBR.

Billy the kid makes sense given his prior activity with USAB (coach of the U18 or U19 team in 2012-2014) and long track record of success in college. 19 years at Florida, 467 wins (71.5%), 2 titles, and 4 final fours.

But you now believe the fact that he's an NBA coach puts him out of it. I'm curious as to why. Is it b/c being head coach of USAB is now more of a time commitment than an NBA coach would want to sacrifice? I just remember 10-12 years ago when Colangelo asked a room full of people which college coaches could coach the USA in the 2008 Olympics, Dean Smith said "there's only one coach up there who can get the job done, and its coach K" (or something to that effect). I'm not sure who you're thinking of when you say "retired" coach (knowing you, you've got someone in mind ), but the only NCAA coaches with anywhere near as much success as Coach K are Izzo, Boeheim, and Ol' Roy, and none of them can possibly be the ones to take over next. Who else has enough cache to coach a bunch of NBA-ers? Calipari is the only other one I can think of, but your comments re: his lashing out at K/USAB are spot on.

Billy makes a lot of sense to me, a lot more sense than picking some other college coach who the NBA superstars might struggle to respect.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The most obvious choice is Sean Miller. He just coached the U-19 team, which is the closest thing we have to the Senior National Team that K coaches...

I don't see how Sean Miller is the obvious choice just b/c he coached the U-19 team once. He's coached all of 6 years at a major conference school, and never made a final four (he has been to the elite eight 4 times, including once with Xavier). Why would NBA guys respect such a young, unaccomplished coach. Don't get me wrong, he's clearly doing a fantastic job out in AZ, but I'd revert back to the Dean Smith quote above. Coach K was a legend when he took over and Dean Smith's message at that time was that if you're going to take a college coach, it has to be someone at that level.

Neither Billy nor Sean have coached a day in the pros, but at least Billy has 20 years as a college coach, significant success at that level, and clearly has respect across the coaching profession (the NBA has been calling him for the better part of a decade). Calipari & Pops would seem just as likely to me as someone like Billy, and I'd see Sean as a backup, backup plan at best.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Brad Stevens.
    This is the first name that came to my mind, probably b/c he's the guy I've had my eye on to replace K. The moment he left for Boston I think our chances became very small (b/c of the money, mainly), but here's a young stud who's had major success in college and seems to be doing a solid job so far in Boston.

If I had to guess Pop is probably the guy Colangelo has his eye on, but I would have no problem with Stevens at the helm.

He may very well coach longer than anyone thinks.my old highschool coach just retired after 63 years at the helm.
    Every year is a treasured year that we have coach K coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Billy the kid makes sense given his prior activity with USAB (coach of the U18 or U19 team in 2012-2014) and long track record of success in college. 19 years at Florida, 467 wins (71.5%), 2 titles, and 4 final fours.

But you now believe the fact that he's an NBA coach puts him out of it. I'm curious as to why. Is it b/c being head coach of USAB is now more of a time commitment than an NBA coach would want to sacrifice? I just remember 10-12 years ago when Colangelo asked a room full of people which college coaches could coach the USA in the 2008 Olympics, Dean Smith said "there's only one coach up there who can get the job done, and its coach K" (or something to that effect). I'm not sure who you're thinking of when you say "retired" coach (knowing you, you've got someone in mind ), but the only NCAA coaches with anywhere near as much success as Coach K are Izzo, Boeheim, and Ol' Roy, and none of them can possibly be the ones to take over next. Who else has enough cache to coach a bunch of NBA-ers? Calipari is the only other one I can think of, but your comments re: his lashing out at K/USAB are spot on.

Billy makes a lot of sense to me, a lot more sense than picking some other college coach who the NBA superstars might struggle to respect.
    Everything I've read or heard suggests that Colangelo will NOT pick an active NBA coach. There was a lot of talk when K first got the job about how every NBA coach brings baggage and jealousies.

If he's going to take an active NBA coach, I'd definitely take Popovich.

He said he wasn't going to coach after the 2012 games, and the 2008 games. He can say that Colangelo had to beg him to come back after every Olympics, which he should, but I don't think he had to be particularly convincing in any of those meetings...

I think K coaches the USA because it is a great honor, and it's a lot of fun for him to do, but let's not be naive and think that there is no ulterior motive. His relationship with the top NBA players as well as their endorsements of he and his coaching style have undoubtedly helped Duke basketball as well as our recruiting.

It wouldn't shock me to see him coach until the Olympics directly before he plans on retiring. Is that 2016? Is that 2020? I don't think we see K coaching in 2021 without having coached Team USA in the 2020 Olympics.

Coaching team USA is a recruiting advantage, and one that K uses, but I actually believe that it was kind of an inadvertent result of coaching the national team, rather than the sole reason for it which I believe Cal would do and what I think A Woj believes (chotch).

Like, K isn't going to not recruit kids some kids who think its cool he coaches Team USA because it may be an unfair advantage. Team USA coaching also gives his assistants valuable experience and exposure.

If K plans on coaching after 2020, I think he will coach the 2020 Olympics.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Coaching team USA is a recruiting advantage, and one that K uses, but I actually believe that it was kind of an inadvertent result of coaching the national coach, rather than the sole reason for it which I believe Cal would do and what I think A Woj believes (chotch).
    I think the story line that K gets a recruiting advantage from being the USA National Team coach is w-a-ay overblown.

My point is that K brought in the number one rated class in the nation in 1997 (the Brand, Battier class), in 1999 (the Jason Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy class), 2002 (the Redick, Shelden Williams class) and in 2005 (the McRoberts, Paulus class).

That's four times in the nine seasons BEFORE K was named as the national coach.

Since he was named the national coach, he's recruited well -- but in the first eight years after being named the national coach (and after winning two gold medals), he had the top ranked class zero times.

Then he gets the top class again in 2014 (Jahlil, Tyus and Justise) -- for the first time in nine years as the national coach and suddenly, he's cashing in on his status as the national coach.

It's not as the Adrian Wok trash job suggested that K actually got to meet with the under 19 team once --horrors (and why didn't the fact that Billy Donovan and Shaka Smart were the permanent coaches of that team give THEM an advantage?) I'm sure being seen leading LeBron and Kobe and company to all that success enhanced K's reputation -- especially when he succeeded where Larry Brown and George Karl failed -- but winning five national titles amd over 1,000 college games might have helped too.

The fact is that K was a Hall of Fame coach before he was named to head the national team. He already had three national titles in his pocket.

His recruiting has not been better since he was named to coach the National team ... until the last two years, it was actually slightly worse than in the decade before he was named.