Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    How about renaming it Kunshan University?

"K" University!

Bwaaaahaaahaaaa
    "[A]lthough Duke University agrees to accept certain course work from Duke Kunshan University to be applied toward an award from Duke University, that course work may not be accepted by other colleges or universities in transfer, even if it appears on a transcript from Duke University."

Ouch!

Is this thing viable?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    "[A]lthough Duke University agrees to accept certain course work from Duke Kunshan University to be applied toward an award from Duke University, that course work may not be accepted by other colleges or universities in transfer, even if it appears on a transcript from Duke University."

Ouch!

Is this thing viable?

-jk
    It hasn't been for years. did you read the leaked consultant's report?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    I must have missed this. Has it been announced?
    Not officially, but all the Iron Dukes' documents show that the "naming rights have been reserved."

In fact, lots of parts of the athletic campus have been named and not announced yet.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

I've got a whole clothing store chain named after me and it didn't cost me a dime!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I've got a whole clothing store chain named after me and it didn't cost me a dime!!
    How are those profits coming along?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    How are those profits coming along?
    Oh, there's no money involved, but I was told that I would achieve total consciousness on my death bed!

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    I suppose that's true. Wallace Wade got the stadium name after winning 6 conference titles. The modern era is more competitive though in the 14-team ACC.
    Not sure if you meant to imply the modern era is more competitive b/c of an ACC with 14 teams, but the Southern Conference had 15 teams for most of Wade's tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Oh, there's no money involved, but I was told that I would achieve total consciousness on my death bed!
    So you've got that going for you. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    Not sure if you meant to imply the modern era is more competitive b/c of an ACC with 14 teams, but the Southern Conference had 15 teams for most of Wade's tenure.
    When Wade took the Duke job in 1931, the Southern Conference included 23 members, including the majority of the modern ACC and SEC -- plus a few others, such as Washington & Lee and the University of the South. Wade went 3-3-1 in conference in his first season and finished 8th ... a year later, his second Duke team went 5-3 in conference and finished 9th!

After the 1932 season, the Southern Conference split with the 10 schools in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina remaining in the Southern Conference, while the other 13 teams broke off to form the SEC.

But it didn't remain a 10-team league long. In 1936, six new teams joined the league and Virginia left -- bringing the Southern Conference to 15 school. It stayed hat way until Wade left for WWII. When he returned in time for the 1946 season, George Washington was added as a 16th member. In 1950, in his last year, West Virginia was added as a 17th member.

So crimsondevil is basically right -- the Southern Conference was at 15 members for the heart of Wake's tenure -- but it also fluctuated between 10 and 23 members while he was at Duke.

(Forgive the history lesson .. I'm just killing time while waiting or the Frank Jackson announcement).

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Not officially, but all the Iron Dukes' documents show that the "naming rights have been reserved."

In fact, lots of parts of the athletic campus have been named and not announced yet.
    Yeah, I'm sure most of you have gotten the mailing from the Iron Dukes in the past week or two. Finally got around to looking at it, looks like about a third of everything is reserved. I'll bet a lot more has been snatched up since then (looks like the best bargain is the concession stand for $250K ). Although the field was supposed to go for $20M (maybe the rest is pledged).

Sorry Iron Dukes, all my millions (when they get here) will be going to animal rescue. I like my sports, but it's not my priority. To each his own. I was a Steelers fan 10 years before I became a Blue Devils fan, and I tossed all my Steelers gear last week.

One more interesting tidbit from the mailing, it appears the cost to attend Duke is now about $70K/year. Wow. I think my last year (31 years ago) it had just passed 10K. Would not want to be in high school now. Regardless of the aid package, not sure my parents would go into debt with me for that much.