Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

The field is named....

Brooks field.
    That's what 13 million dollars buys. Not a fan.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=210221597

The commitment of the money is awesome and appreciated, but I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"Welcome to the David Cutcliffe End Zone at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium"

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ...but I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)
    I agree 100 percent.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree 100 percent.
    Money talks; nobody walks. In principle I agree as well, but principle has precious little to do with the financing of college sports facilities (or any college facilities for that matter).

The good news is, in 50 years it will be "historic Brooks field."

I would prefer that a building be named after a donor than our football field, but then again I did not give millions to the University to build it.

Still, Brooks-Cutcliffe field would work.

Edit to add: We should all be thankful that the Brooks family helped to bring about these renovations; I would not want the Brooks family to think that we are slighting them by our reaction to the name.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-17-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Brooks field...I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)
    I 110% agree with you. Coach Cut field has a nice ring to it and he would be worthy of such an honor given his contributions to the program that will forever live in the record books. Like other posters on here, I would rather see a significant donor, have a building of some nature named after them. Good for the Brooks family that they had a liquid $13 million laying around that they could donate however, that's impressive.

Brooks field.

The commitment of the money is awesome and appreciated, but I'd rather the field be named after someone who has contributed to the program on the field itself. (Say...oh, I dunno...someone like that Cutcliffe guy.)
    Wade-Cutcliffe Stadium is not a pipe-dream, I hope. I've heard we're hunting championships.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I would have expected naming the field to cost a lot more. $13M seems cheap for that. Maybe it's in light of their many contributions over the long term.

I have no problem with $$$ and naming rights

Duke's endowment is a solid $7.0B (when I was a freshman in 2007, it was around $2.3B IIRC. Broadhead can raise funds). However, that is only good for 15th in the country. Any funds that can go into academics and the students is a huge plus. So, if someone wants to spend $13M for naming rights to a school, I say, "Awesome. That will mean more money for the school and, through a trickle down effect, academics".
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Well, and this would never happen with these fine people, but I worry about naming stadiums and things for $$$$. Coach K earned his namesake. So did Dean. With only money as the measure for naming something, what seems a good idea one decade could be a disaster in another. I mean, imagine Bill Cosby Field?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Duke's endowment is a solid $7.0B (when I was a freshman in 2007, it was around $2.3B IIRC. Broadhead can raise funds). However, that is only good for 15th in the country. Any funds that can go into academics and the students is a huge plus. So, if someone wants to spend $13M for naming rights to a school, I say, "Awesome. That will mean more money for the school and, through a trickle down effect, academics".
    To which one can add approximately one-half of The Duke Endowment, the separated entity left by Mr. Duke. It's value today is $3.4 billion. The Duke U. endowment and The Duke Endowment funds are managed together by a professional management team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The most recent brochure for the Iron Dukes provides information about naming rights for a variety of athletic facilities or parts of facilities. The chart in the brochure indicates that for the football field the gift required is $20 million. The Brooks family has already given funds which provided the practice facility. Other donors have already agreed to donate for naming rights the North Gate and the East Gate. The naming rights for the remaining West Gate is $4 million. The press level lobby of Blue Devil Tower is available for $1 million. Many naming possibilities remain at the Yoh.

All areas available for naming in Cameron are reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyCarol View Post
    Well, and this would never happen with these fine people, but I worry about naming stadiums and things for $$$$. Coach K earned his namesake. So did Dean. With only money as the measure for naming something, what seems a good idea one decade could be a disaster in another. I mean, imagine Bill Cosby Field?
    One could argue K & Dean "won" their names with the money they brought. But I understand your point.

Remind me the academic disciplines and administrative initiatives attributed to Messrs Duke, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.

I work at a place where David Koch is being celebrated for his donation of a $100m medical building, and he's David Koch. The Brooks family is fine. Reminds me of a Chronicle editorial after the Woodruffs (Coke) gave 100m to Emory; the editorial indicated that for an equivalent amount, we at Duke would become the Pepsi generation. No dice.

Looking forward to seeing the stadium!

I would rather it be Brooks Field than being named after a corporate donor. So there's that silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

All areas available for naming in Cameron are reserved.
    That is probably true, but I'd bet an enterprising marketing person could find a closet or roof or laundry cart that could use a plaque.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    To which one can add approximately one-half of The Duke Endowment, the separated entity left by Mr. Duke. It's value today is $3.4 billion. The Duke U. endowment and The Duke Endowment funds are managed together by a professional management team.
    Trinity College had a nice ring to it and JB basically bought the naming rights. There is an established pattern of this kind of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I basically feel the same way. It's better then "Lil Dinos" Field.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyCarol View Post
    I mean, imagine Bill Cosby Field?
    I am trying to but I can't quite focus, ever since I drank that cappuccino...he's gonna get his soon enough.

For those mentioning that you prefer naming buildings after donors, from the ESPN online article (http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ion-donation):

"Steve Brooks is the president and CEO of the Phoenix American Insurance Group Inc. One of his sons, Matt, is a former Blue Devils football player. The family has two other campus facilities named for them: the Brooks Practice Facility and the Brooks Football Building."

I'm not a big fan of the field name, either. However, I am very appreciative of the support the Brooks family has had in upgrading the Duke football facilities. The upgraded facilities not only help the players and fans, but are a big part of recruiting better players. So to that, I do thank the Brooks family and appreciate the support.

Brooks field.

That has been my hope all along. David Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Trinity College had a nice ring to it and JB basically bought the naming rights.
    Touche. And quite right.