Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

For what it's worth

I have a friend who lives in Memphis, and he texted me a week ago that Duke was the front runner for Nichols. I asked where he heard that, and he said it was being reported pretty heavily by a lot of the local sports media. Of course, that was before the transfer restrictions were lifted. And it was a week ago. And I know nothing about the quality of the Memphis sports media. I thought it might be worth sharing regardless.

I take Adam's word as gold. I believe someone may have a case of self-hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I notice in Airowe's blurb that Antonio Vrankovic is described as a "redshirt freshman" in 2016-17. I didn't know that was definitely going to happen, but I think it's probably best for everyone.
    With Obi, Jefferson, Jeter, and MP3 all getting their minutes at the 4 and 5 (IKTDDNHPBIAUTNTIWPPOTC*) and possibly Ingram playing a little bit of 4 as well, there is no reason for a kid like Vrank the Tank to do anything but redshirt. Justin Robinson too.

-Jason "I absolutely think we will see some of Ingram at the 4 and perhaps even the 5... Is it really impossible to imagine us pressing and playing fast paced with Jones, Kennard, Thornton, Allen, and Ingram at the same time?" Evans

*- I Know That Duke Does Not Have Positions But I Am Using These Numbers To Indicate Where Players Play On The Court
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I have a friend who lives in Memphis, and he texted me a week ago that Duke was the front runner for Nichols. I asked where he heard that, and he said it was being reported pretty heavily by a lot of the local sports media. Of course, that was before the transfer restrictions were lifted. And it was a week ago. And I know nothing about the quality of the Memphis sports media. I thought it might be worth sharing regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I take Adam's word as gold. I believe someone may have a case of self-hype.
    These don't have to be contradictory reports. The Memphis connection may be hearing that Nichols' top preference is Duke, and airowe is hearing from Duke that they just aren't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    (IKTDDNHPBIAUTNTIWPPOTC*) and possibly Ingram playing a little bit of 4 as well, there is no reason for a kid like Vrank the Tank to do anything but redshirt. Justin Robinson too.

*- I Know That Duke Does Not Have Positions But I Am Using These Numbers To Indicate Where Players Play On The Court
    Great acronym. I think we should start using this - at least the first part IKTDDNHP

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Great acronym. I think we should start using this - at least the first part IKTDDNHP
    That was all I initially had written, IKTDDNHP, but then I added the rest on a lark. I am going to start using IKTDDNHP all the time from now on!

-Jason "nuf said" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That was all I initially had written, IKTDDNHP, but then I added the rest on a lark. I am going to start using IKTDDNHP all the time from now on!

-Jason "nuf said" Evans
    Maybe it should be added to Throaty's HPR? 1V (or whatever letter is next, I don't know where the last one left off) is easier to type.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I notice in Airowe's blurb that Antonio Vrankovic is described as a "redshirt freshman" in 2016-17. I didn't know that was definitely going to happen, but I think it's probably best for everyone.
    Generally, "Redshirt" status in Duke hoops only occurs when, by the end of a season, a player on the team hasn't been in a game. It's never pre-announced because K wants everyone to be ready to play if needed. Of course, there is probably a plan at the beginning of the season, but it could be affected by injuries and other circumstances.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Generally, "Redshirt" status in Duke hoops only occurs when, by the end of a season, a player on the team hasn't been in a game. It's never pre-announced because K wants everyone to be ready to play if needed. Of course, there is probably a plan at the beginning of the season, but it could be affected by injuries and other circumstances.
    Yes, this is true for most schools. With the caveat being that, because the rules say you can't play in ANY games, the plan to redshirt has to be agreed upon ahead of time. Otherwise, these guys would almost certainly see time in the numerous blowouts early in the season (rather than finishing with our walk-ons). You talk with the player beforehand and decide that redshirting makes the most sense. Then, you hold them out of play throughout the season unless absolutely needed. And after the season, it's announced that the player has redshirted.

So while technically a redshirt decision isn't necessarily stated publicly ahead of time, it's pretty clearly decided upon ahead of time. And we should be able to tell pretty quickly (i.e., within a few games) whether or not the plan to redshirt a particular player. Some schools are up front about it, but it's pretty clear when it is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, this is true for most schools. With the caveat being that, because the rules say you can't play in ANY games, the plan to redshirt has to be agreed upon ahead of time. Otherwise, these guys would almost certainly see time in the numerous blowouts early in the season (rather than finishing with our walk-ons). You talk with the player beforehand and decide that redshirting makes the most sense. Then, you hold them out of play throughout the season unless absolutely needed. And after the season, it's announced that the player has redshirted.

So while technically a redshirt decision isn't necessarily stated publicly ahead of time, it's pretty clearly decided upon ahead of time. And we should be able to tell pretty quickly (i.e., within a few games) whether or not the plan to redshirt a particular player. Some schools are up front about it, but it's pretty clear when it is happening.
    Generally, the player who is planning to redshirt will not even dress out for games. My bet is that we will see Vrank and Robinson in suits on the bench this season, not in uniform.

-Jason "they will be great practice bodies though, that's for sure!" Evans

Generally, the player who is planning to redshirt will not even dress out for games. My bet is that we will see Vrank and Robinson in suits on the bench this season, not in uniform.

This is sometimes true, sometimes not. For example, Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee were both pretty clearly planning to redshirt as of November as freshman, but they dressed for every game that they were healthy for.

??

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This is sometimes true, sometimes not. For example, Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee were both pretty clearly planning to redshirt as of November as freshman, but they dressed for every game that they were healthy for.
    Which presumably is why Jason prefaced his statement with "generally".

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    But to CDu's point, is generally even correct? Other than redshirt players that are mandated to sit out due to transfer (Obi, Seth, etc) or due to injury, how many of our redshirts actually did not dress for games?

As CDu pointed out, Murphy and Plumlee dressed.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    But to CDu's point, is generally even correct? Other than redshirt players that are mandated to sit out due to transfer (Obi, Seth, etc) or due to injury, how many of our redshirts actually did not dress for games?

- Chillin
    Exactly. True redshirts (i.e., those not related to injury or transfer) are somewhat rare in college basketball. I'm not sure if it is actually true that these types of redshirts generally don't dress. It's certainly not true in football (where true redshirts are very common, yet those players do dress). The idea is that you dress them just in case injuries (or, in the case of basketball, excessive foul trouble) forces your hand in a key game.

In basketball, though, not too many major programs (UVa and Kansas come to mind) employ redshirts for healthy and otherwise eligible players. Because of that rarity, I was citing the only examples I know of recently at Duke in which healthy non-transfers redshirted, and noted that they did dress in uniform for the games. I don't know that we have had any non-injury/transfer-related redshirts other than these two guys in the Coach K era, so I am not sure that we can make more of a generalized point about whether or not such players typically dress in uniform for games.

EDIT: Obviously I'm excluding Andre Dawkins, who technically redshirted. But as his redshirt was really a year away from the program entirely (and as such he wasn't on the bench at all), I don't really consider him as a meaningful example in this context.
    Last edited by CDu; 07-17-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    I'm trying to think ... how many voluntary redshirts have we had under K?

Marshall and Alex Murphy (whose redshirt was mandated by an early season injury) DID dress. Trajan Langdon, who redshirted his second season due to a serious injury, did NOT dress -- he was unable to play.

Not fair to include transfers who had to sit out -- Obi, Seth, Rodney, etc. -- since they were ineligible to play, no matter how great the need.

The first sign will be the first exhibition game. Kids planning to redshirt CAN play in the Blue-White game, but even one appearance in an exhibition will blow a redshirt year.

Now, there are provisions for a medical hardship that allow a kid to play in essentially one-fourth of the season and get that year back with an injury. I believe Murphy actually played in one or two exhibitions before his concussion in 2011-12. Nate James played in six games before he was shut down in 1998 -- a year he got back. Don't remember if he dressed any games late in the season. I don't think so.

BTW: The football practice of dressing redshirts can lead to problems. Back in 1980 Duke was finishing up a lopsided game at home. Coach Red Wilson turned to his assistants and said, "clear the bench". Somebody -- I never knew who -- sent freshman wide receiver Mark Militello into the game. He played two snaps I think. He was supposed to be redshirting. That cost him a year of eligibility. In 1983, he was a senior who caught 63 passes and made first-team All-ACC. He should have had another year, but because of that mistake in 1980, he lost his fifth year.

That never would have happened had he not dressed out ... I know that Duke is not the only school that's happened to.

You know its the middle of the off-season when we are discussing what red shirt freshman will be wearing on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'm trying to think ... how many voluntary redshirts have we had under K?
    Two I can think of are George Burgin in '85-'86 and Kenny Blakeney in '90-'91. Both were understood to be redshirting from the outset of each year. Burgin was rail thin and supposedly his assignment that year was to put on weight, being told that he should be spending every free moment eating. I cannot recall whether Burgin dressed, but Blakeney was always in uniform on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    You know its the middle of the off-season when we are discussing what red shirt freshman will be wearing on the bench
    Since this is the summer, I will add that Kenny Blakeney looked really good because he was wearing the old style uniform.

I thought Marshall was in uniform his redshirt year. Same for Alex Murphy. Obu dressed in ultra-smart civvies for the games because he was not eligible to play.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Well played... It's amazing to watch the wandering paths of summer discussions.

A: No.

Nichols to Virginia, per Goodman. Glad to see Paul Tudor Jones didn't strongarm Memphis for nothing.