Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If he likes to block shots he shouldn't come to Duke. Coach K doesn't like the blocked shot as a play as it increases chances of fouling, pulls the defender out of position, sometimes doesn't work, and if you do block the shot you create a loose ball situation under the opponent's basket that you can't always control. Duke doesn't emphasize or teach blocking shots, which may be one of the reasons ignorant people think that Duke players can't block shots.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    If he likes to block shots he shouldn't come to Duke. Coach K doesn't like the blocked shot as a play as it increases chances of fouling, pulls the defender out of position, sometimes doesn't work, and if you do block the shot you create a loose ball situation under the opponent's basket that you can't always control. Duke doesn't emphasize or teach blocking shots, which may be one of the reasons ignorant people think that Duke players can't block shots.
    Where are you getting this from? Do you have any supporting evidence or a quote from Coach K? Rim protection is one of the fundamental keys to winning basketball at any level. 7 footers make tens of millions in the NBA based on this one skill alone. I've never heard anyone say Duke players can't block shots . . . Duke players block plenty of shots. We have 2 of the top 10 shot blockers in ACC history: Shelden Williams is #2 with 422 career blocks and Shane Battier is #7 with 254. Duke basketball emphasizes creating offense with defense. Blocked shots often lead to run outs going the other way, and easy transition buckets.

Exhibit A: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...inn-cook-for-3

Pretty sure Justise didn't get chewed out for making that play. I think Coach K is just fine with going for blocks.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-14-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-attend-school

On the CBS podcast, Parrish mentioned that Nichols' relatives are the ones who donated the $ to build John Paul Jones arena and they say that's where he'd be if Memphis didn't suspect tampering. It sounds like a big mess, but it would be a nice get for TB and you fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    You have to think Nichols ends up at UVa - his preference seems clear, and it's hard to see Memphis fighting too hard to keep a player from transferring to a school outside their league and state. Still, schools sometimes do dumb things.
    Memphis is saying UVa is on the restricted list because they are on their schedule in 2016-17...Same with Iowa, Providence and Tennessee. I've seen it quite often that a school restricts teams that are on their schedule. Coach K actually seems to be the most lax with transfers of any coach in the nation (which I personally like...you think many coaches would have let Gbinije go effectively to an ACC school? Not a chance. Most coaches were saying restrictions were in conference and any schools already announced to be in conference in the future.)

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Personally, I hate when a program prevents the transfer of a kid to any school. I wouldn't like it, but I would advocate for Duke letting Grayson Allen transfer to UNC if he really, really wanted to do such a thing (not too concerned about this, obviously).
    If UVA tampered with Nichols, then it seems like there should be some recourse Memphis can pursue with UVA rather than punishing Nichols for wanting to transfer. If Nichols' father or perhaps even Austin himself did something that violated NCAA rules by talking to UVA or accepting gifts, then the NCAA should suspend him or mete out whatever the appropriate punishment should be. However, to just flat out deny a transfer seems vindictive for the sake of being vindictive.
    I agree about allowing players to transfer openly. I can understand reasoning for blocking in-conference transfers, but barring the tampering allegations it sure feels petty for a school to specify where a student athlete can and can't follow their career.

Recruiting MOJO is in K's favor. I just can't see Nichols in a Duke uniform. Outside of the fact 2yrs ago Nichols said no to Duke, can he and his family accept the fact that there are others waiting to enroll at Duke that don't have attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    and that's assuming Duke doesn't sign Bolden, and Duke is making a huge effort on Bolden.
    Good to hear. We need a tier 1 widebody in the 2016 class.

I saw that 247 lists us as "cooler," so I wasn't sure if he was truly still in the mix...though we did just offer a few weeks ago so maybe I'm just impatient. Seems like its early days in his recruitment and he's not leaning anywhere just yet. (there are only 13 predictions on 247 and most were made 9-12 months ago). He did mention that he wants to visit (scout interview from a few weeks ago) so I'll continue to believe that's happening until otherwise stated

BTW: Scout, ESPN and 247 all list him as the #1 C in the class, but Scout has him #6 overall and ESPN/247 have him at 15/16. That's a decent size discrepancy. We'll see where the rankings settle after the summer is over.
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 07-14-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Memphis is saying UVa is on the restricted list because they are on their schedule in 2016-17...Same with Iowa, Providence and Tennessee. I've seen it quite often that a school restricts teams that are on their schedule. Coach K actually seems to be the most lax with transfers of any coach in the nation (which I personally like...you think many coaches would have let Gbinije go effectively to an ACC school? Not a chance. Most coaches were saying restrictions were in conference and any schools already announced to be in conference in the future.)
    And now Gary Parrish stating memphis has removed ALL restrictions on transfer. That was quick.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/s...86800069697536

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Also, I think Kentucky showed this past year that there is such thing as 'too much talent'. It won't affect your performance that year, but it hurts in recruiting when 5-star players don't want to play 15 minutes a game or sit on the bench during crunch time.
    I'm not sure I see the downside. Kentucky was undefeated until the Final Four. And Cal did get three five-star prospects to enroll for this coming season.

If he likes to block shots he shouldn't come to Duke. Coach K doesn't like the blocked shot...
    Tell that to the Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure I see the downside. Kentucky was undefeated until the Final Four. And Cal did get three five-star prospects to enroll for this coming season.
    If you read my post closely, you'll see that I said there is no downside during that year. But having too much talent on the bench can clearly hurt you with recruiting. Calipari said that himself about his platoon system. It leads to players questioning playing time.

Also, 3 5 star recruits is great, but Murray was an eleventh hour pick-up and this class is nowhere near a "Kentucky" class.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Where are you getting this from? Do you have any supporting evidence or a quote from Coach K? Rim protection is one of the fundamental keys to winning basketball at any level. 7 footers make tens of millions in the NBA based on this one skill alone. I've never heard anyone say Duke players can't block shots . . . Duke players block plenty of shots. We have 2 of the top 10 shot blockers in ACC history: Shelden Williams is #2 with 422 career blocks and Shane Battier is #7 with 254. Duke basketball emphasizes creating offense with defense. Blocked shots often lead to run outs going the other way, and easy transition buckets.

Exhibit A: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...inn-cook-for-3

Pretty sure Justise didn't get chewed out for making that play. I think Coach K is just fine with going for blocks.
    Coach K told me personally, when he was at my house the other day for our weekly My Little Pony marathon. Few people know this, but Coach K is really into the bronie lifestyle. He is truly a renaissance man.

Seriously, my opinion is based on 40+ years of coaching, watching, playing and referreeing basketball and 30+ years of watching K coached teams. We all see what we think we should see of course.

too bad the announcer soiled himself at the end saying "with all due respect to shane battier"....and then disrespecting shane.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    too bad the announcer soiled himself at the end saying "with all due respect to shane battier"....and then disrespecting shane.
    Grant was trying to hard

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is another example of Duke's prestige, mentioned in the mix with every big recruit. I like it

I also like that our coaches can easily explain the whole thing to Bolden and Carter. Illustrating that EVERYBODY wants what they currently have, an offer to play for Coach K at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I notice in Airowe's blurb that Antonio Vrankovic is described as a "redshirt freshman" in 2016-17. I didn't know that was definitely going to happen, but I think it's probably best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This is another example of Duke's prestige, mentioned in the mix with every big recruit. I like it

I also like that our coaches can easily explain the whole thing to Bolden and Carter. Illustrating that EVERYBODY wants what they currently have, an offer to play for Coach K at Duke.
    You know you're hot $%&@ when we have to say 'no' to recruits rather than the other way around.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I notice in Airowe's blurb that Antonio Vrankovic is described as a "redshirt freshman" in 2016-17. I didn't know that was definitely going to happen, but I think it's probably best for everyone.
    Good catch. Agree that it seemed likely, but hadn't actually seen it in print anywhere yet.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I was so looking forward to Vrank getting Duke 20 and 10 a game. Oh well, one more year to work on the hype. I am ready to post, however, that Vrank is the best player in practice and it is not even close.

If K liked block shots, maybe Shelden could have had a shot at getting his jersey in the rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    If K liked block shots, maybe Shelden could have had a shot at getting his jersey in the rafters.
    He only got it there for rebounding.