Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Point #1. Talented athletes everywhere get special consideration from admissions offices. Yep, including the Ivy League -- or maybe, especially the Ivy League. I remember a NY Times article on the surprising rise of football at Division III University of Chicago, an outstanding academic institution at both the undergrad and graduate levels. Football players do have to meet the same standards as everyone else (which maybe I believe); the "special consideration" is that the football coach can walk an application into the admissions office and get an immediate decision. As they say in business, "Time is money" and that is worth a lot.

Point #2. In the K era, let's not forget academic stalwarts, such as:
    Jay Bilas
    Quin Snyder
    Crawford Palmer
    Clay Buckley (son of rocket scientist Jay '64)
    Trajan Langdon
    Taymon Domzalski, MD
    Shane Battier
    Nick Horvath
    Brian Zoubek
    Ryan Kelly
    And surely others
    Surely George Burgin belongs on this list. He was a Mechanical Engineering/Computer Sciences major who has since worked on some rocket science-type projects. And Ryan Caldbeck, Founder and CEO of CircleUp...

Can we keep this thread on topic?

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    Headline tells all:

Duke Basketball: Unnamed Assistant Tells Adam Zagoria That 5-Star PF Harry Giles Will Wind Up A Blue Devil
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    TV Alert!

On Sunday, ESPNU will be televising the Peach Jam semifinals live at 9am and 10:30am ET. Then, the championship game will be shown live at 3pm ET.
    Both Jayson Tatum's team and Harry Giles' team made stirring comebacks to win their quarterfinal games. It's like they're already Dukies!

Jayson and Harry will play each other in a semifinal game, at either 9am ET or 10:30am ET. It's unclear as of right now on the Nike site which timeslot they will slide into. One page I found suggests 9am and another suggests 10:30am.

I'm sure it will be clarified in time.

This Tatum vs Giles game could potentially be very interesting to Duke fans. I might watch a little bit more than anticipated, even going head-to-head with Federer vs Djokovic.

Okay, Nike has resolved the conflicting information. Tatum and Giles will play at 10:30am ET.

The 9:00am game will feature Duke-offered Wendell Carter vs wing DJ Harvey, who believes he will receive a Duke offer soon. Carter's team has been dominant in the Peach Jam and should win two more games tomorrow to take the Peach Jam championship.

Check out this tweet from Adam Rowe:

Adam Rowe@BlueDevilLair 24m24 minutes ago
    #Duke fans in for some good news on the basketball recruiting trail tomorrow? News from the #PeachJam - http://duke.247sports.com/Board/59461/Contents/GauntletPeach-Jam-38123418?Page=3#M38165294 … (VIP)

To me, this means Tatum will announce for Duke tomorrow. More reason to watch, I suppose.

I hope you won't be cursing me tomorrow, though! After posting that heads-up, I thought about previous times I've watched high school basketball, and I'd say 95% of the time it's pretty ugly and unentertaining. Exceptions would be something like the Hoop Summit. Tomorrow, I'll be happy to see the Duke coaching staff on TV and to see one or more of our recruits play for a few minutes, but I'll probably stick to Wimbledon after that.

I’m always thankful to watch top rank players in these games. I try to look for any morsel of clues that might indicate what could be their max ceiling. Please keep the TV alerts coming.

I have a nice feeling that if Tatum is NOT going to declare for St Louis the Peach Jam final day is a great spot to announce and take the edge off the disappointment of his home town fan. And maybe all we Duke Fans will be jumping up and down in front of our TV’s.

Check out this tweet from Adam Rowe:

Adam Rowe@BlueDevilLair 24m24 minutes ago
    #Duke fans in for some good news on the basketball recruiting trail tomorrow? News from the #PeachJam - http://duke.247sports.com/Board/59461/Contents/GauntletPeach-Jam-38123418?Page=3#M38165294 … (VIP)

To me, this means Tatum will announce for Duke tomorrow. More reason to watch, I suppose.
    Post was behind a wall and could not read it. I can confirm though that Arowe is at the Peach Jam as a credentalled press member.

Tatum is announcing at 9 AM today on ESPNU.

Not at 9. Maybe at halftime of the first game?

Tatum's announcement will come after his game, which tips at 10:30. So noonish.

There is your Wimbolden respect.

Dang. Spent $5 for 30 minutes of gogo inflight Internet hoping to catch the announcement. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait until we land in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Surely George Burgin belongs on this list. He was a Mechanical Engineering/Computer Sciences major who has since worked on some rocket science-type projects. And Ryan Caldbeck, Founder and CEO of CircleUp...
    Throw Matt Christensen on the list as well. He was my professor for the Duke in Silicon Valley program. Guy is crazy, crazy smart — just brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_92 View Post
    Dang. Spent $5 for 30 minutes of gogo inflight Internet hoping to catch the announcement. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait until we land in a few hours.
    i was on my way to maui trying to track the thornton announcement, when gogo decided to merge with the Hoover corporation....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

June 12

Best game performance by a Duke recruit: Wendell Carter went for 25 points, 13 rebounds, and 8 blocks in the Peach Jam championship game, as his Georgia team blew out Jayson's St. Louis team. The big man shot 9-10 from the FT line: http://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/1...bseason=235270

Nevertheless, it can be argued that Jayson had the best day of all, committing to the best program in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Throw Matt Christensen on the list as well. He was my professor for the Duke in Silicon Valley program. Guy is crazy, crazy smart — just brilliant.
    It runs ion the family. His Dad Clayton was and continues to be a legendary Harvard Business School prof.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It runs ion the family. His Dad Clayton was and continues to be a legendary Harvard Business School prof.
    Yes, we were taught by Clayton as well for a few sessions. What a family.

Tyus Battle just committed to Syracuse, as expected via twitter.