Page 25 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Based on this interview with Smith from this week (http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...s-smith-update), I'm not convinced that the "backing off" by one side or the other is accurate. Duke is the first school he mentions when asked who is prioritizing him and which coaches he has the closest relationship with. He also says he plans to visit Duke again. He may end up going somewhere else, obviously, but the "backing off" idea seems overblown.
    The "backing off" has been accurate for quite some time now.

U-19 Gold Medal

It appears that Giles and Tatum played incredibly well and lead the U19 Team USA to a Gold Medal in an OT thriller.

Giles represented himself well throughout the tournament, and was named to the All-Tournament Team:
    Giles, the No. 1 rated player according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings, finished the game posting his fifth-straight double-double with 13 points and a game-high 16 rebounds. The 6-10 power forward out of Wesleyan Christian (NC) averaged 14 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game while being named one of the five members of the All-Tournament Team.
    Not to be outdone, Tatum came up with the highlight of the tournament (click on the link) while scoring in double figures in all seven games: http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Harry...Medal-38070144

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Does Thorton-Smith = Duhon -Williams?

From those videos, Smith seems more like Jay Williams than a traditional PG.
    I suspect Thornton-Jackson is a more likely comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I suspect Thornton-Jackson is a more likely comparison.
    From everything I've seen and read so far, this seems like the more likely combo. Assuming Jackson does not take his mission right out of HS that is.

Dennis Smith is NOT coming to Duke. Jackson is.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    It appears that Giles and Tatum played incredibly well and lead the U19 Team USA to a Gold Medal in an OT thriller.

Giles represented himself well throughout the tournament, and was named to the All-Tournament Team:

Not to be outdone, Tatum came up with the highlight of the tournament (click on the link) while scoring in double figures in all seven games: http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Harry...Medal-38070144
    Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair 5h5 hours ago
    #Duke is the favorite to land what @lukewinn says "might become the greatest package deal of all-time."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    "might become the greatest package deal of all-time."
    Or at least since last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Spoilsport.

Or might become the greatest package deal of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair 5h5 hours ago
    #Duke is the favorite to land what @lukewinn says "might become the greatest package deal of all-time."
    Details please. Tease?

Exactly - wouldn't it be nice to become branded as the school where packages are encouraged and supported, and let the Team-USA-confers-unfair-K-advantages articles follow.

From down the road, a faint drumbeat - "Hey y'all, we do packages too, remember when them New York city boys all came down together and won a title in '57"

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    Details please. Tease?
    He is referring to Tatum and Giles.

Tatum you can pretty much mark down as a win, imo.

Giles' camp is very quiet, but the things I have heard have all been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Or might become the greatest package deal of all time.
    They would have to lead us to multiple national titles to be better than Tyus and Jah, right? I mean, it is hard to imagine a combo being better than Ty and Jah were last year.

I also think we should clarify what a package deal really is. Some folks might consider Justise to be sorta, kinda part of the Ty/Jah package because they recruited him to come to Duke and he talked about wanting to play with the two of them even before they committed to Duke. But, still, I think of Ty and Jah as the real package because they always said they were going to go to the same school and they announced at the same time. Even though Justise came along later, I don't think he was a true package deal.

In some ways, Ty and Jah are the very first elite package because of their simultaneous announcements and constant insistence they would play together. My memory may be failing me, but I can't recall two other top 10 recruits announcing at the same time for the same school after insisting forever that they would play together... except for brothers committing to the same place.

-Jason "Ty and Jah insisted they would play together since they were sophs or juniors in HS -- that is really rare" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I will be at the Peach Jam Saturday, if anyone is going to be in town shoot me a pm. Otherwise, will let you know what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    Duke95 is that you?

I kid I kid...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I will be at the Peach Jam Saturday, if anyone is going to be in town shoot me a pm. Otherwise, will let you know what I see.
    I don't understand. Does this mean that if you see someone you won't let us know what you see?

My source was Dennis Smith. Do you have a better source? Perhaps I have a different understanding than others as to what "backing off" means. As far as I can tell, Duke remains in regular contact with Smith; Smith plans to visit Duke again; and Smith still has an actionable offer. Doesn't sound like anyone is backing off to me. (I don't consider the staff's recruitment of Frank Jackson to constitute backing off of Smith either.)

Tell me this: if Smith (a) waits until spring to decide (which is possible); and (b) Allen and Thornton go pro before he decides (not inconceivable), would you be so sure that he's not coming to Duke? In that scenario, I, for one, would love our chances.

I am not saying things can't change, but at the moment, Dennis Smith is not headed to Duke.
    But that's exactly what you *were* saying. And don't post premium info from other sites on message boards, that's someone's business product.

Tatum supposedly announcing within two weeks:

https://twitter.com/charliemarlow_/s...28443202961408

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    Tatum supposedly announcing within two weeks:

https://twitter.com/charliemarlow_/s...28443202961408
    Seeing as he never bothered to take a visit to Carolina, I'd say they are out of the running.

Also, seeing as Giles is not announcing at the same time, I would say any "package deal" talk is somewhat wrong. Sure, Giles may pick the same place and I am sure that Tatum will lobby hard for whatever school he picks, it isn't truly a package in my book unless they declare at the same time.

As you all know, most folks seem to think Duke is the strong leader, though there has been a bit of St Louis talk lately. But, there ain't no way Giles is going to St. Louis so if Tatum says they are a package (and he does) that would seem to bode really well for Duke.

-Jason "K is on a recruiting roll like he was in the late 90s & early 2000s... and it is fun to watch!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?