Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency

So once LaMarcus Aldridge signs with San Antonio, we can all look forward to eight exciting months of NBA basketball before we get LeBron vs. the Spurs. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Thompson has agreed to a 5 year, $80 million deal it appears.
    Clearly, the Cavs are not even remotely worried about the luxury tax. They are going to have a massive payroll next season.

Lebron - TBA (likely $23 mil or so)
    Love - $22.5 mil (approx)
    Thompson - $16 mil (approx.)
    Irving - $14.7 mil
    Haywood - $10.5 mil
    Varejao - $9.6 mil
    Mozgov - $4.9 mil
    Miller - $2.8 mil
    Joe Harris - $845k

They will probably want to bring back Shumpert, JR, and Delavadova. James Jones too. I expect the Cavs to be north of $110 mil in salary next season. This past year, I believe the Nets were #1 with a team payroll of $91 million. Cleveland is going to top that by a cool $20 million. WOW!

-Jason "of course, in a couple years, that isn't even going to look like a big payroll - #CapExplosion" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Danny Green on leaving $10M+ on the table (relative to the deals being tossed at Thompson, Middleton, Carroll, etc):
    Who would've thought this guy would ever make it? Not only do I get my old job back, but they gave me a raise! to play for/with the greatest teammates and coaches, you'll ever see around the game, in the greatest organization in the world! Thank you for this great opportunity and thanks to the fans for always supporting #Spurs
    Or as one commenter on PTR put it:
    Pop: I know Middleton just got 5 years/70 million and Matthews wants 15 a year. We’ll give you 11 a year, deal?
    Green: If I agree will you stop using me as the whipping boy?
    Pop: Nope
    Green: Ok, where do I sign?

Kyle Singler reportedly going to get 5 years, $25 million from OKC

Crazy money getting tossed around this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Clearly, the Cavs are not even remotely worried about the luxury tax. They are going to have a massive payroll next season.

Irving - $14.7 mil

Haywood - $10.5 mil
    Varejao - $9.6 mil
    Mozgov - $4.9 mil
    Miller - $2.8 mil
    Joe Harris - $845k
    Man, I do not understand capology.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Man, I do not understand capology.
    Irving signed his deal at the wrong time. Revenues have shot upwards since then such that the cap has increase and (as such) the percentage a player can make has increased. Tough break for Irving being born one or two years too early to really break the bank (even more than he already has).

Irving signed his deal at the wrong time. Revenues have shot upwards since then such that the cap has increase and (as such) the percentage a player can make has increased. Tough break for Irving being born one or two years too early to really break the bank (even more than he already has).
    True, but the difference between $90 million max deals and $145 million max deals is...bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    True, but the difference between $90 million max deals and $145 million max deals is...bracing.
    Oh, it's crazy all right. The cap is supposed to skyrocket next summer (it jumped a good bit this summer). So guys who sign extensions like Davis (who have been multiple-time All-Stars) can get crazy money.

I think Uncle Drew is doing just fine.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think Uncle Drew is doing just fine.
    Yeah, hard to feel too too bad for a guy making ~$15 million this year from the Cavs (not to mention endorsement deals). Just noting how crazy the money has gotten just a year or so after he signed his deal.

The Spurs have made some noise today. They have re-signed Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard, and they traded Tiago Splitter. That second part is relevant in that it gives them a chance to sign LaMarcus Aldridge as a free agent. If that happens, the Spurs jump right back to/near the front of the line of title contenders.

The Spurs have made some noise today. They have re-signed Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard, and they traded Tiago Splitter. That second part is relevant in that it gives them a chance to sign LaMarcus Aldridge as a free agent. If that happens, the Spurs jump right back to/near the front of the line of title contenders.
    Splitter trade looks good for both teams, assuming the Spurs can pull off the upgrade to LMA. Atlanta can finally move their stud (Horford) to his natural position, and doesn't have to worry as much about matching Millsap's crazy offer sheet. And of course Bud acquires a Pop player, a known entity within his system, barring further injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The team I'm going to be watching in free agency will be the Lakers -- I think what happens on the market determines whether LA made the right move on draft night.

If the Lakers add a stud post player -- Aldridge being the best option (although everything I read suggests that San Antonio and Houston are the frontrunners) -- then the Lakers did the right thing passing on Jahlil and taking Russell. If they wipe out in the free agent market, then I believe they were the big draft loser ... of course, that stems from my belief the Russell, while a good prospect, is not an elite prospect. But even if he's just good, I'd rather have Russell and Aldridge/Love/maybe Jordan? than just Okafor. But head-to-head, I think Big O is a better NBA prospect ... especially better suited to team with Kobe in his final year or two.

It's become pretty obvious that the proposed trade for Cousins is not going to happen.

So it all comes down to the Lakers' ability to land a big-time fee agent post player.
    Lakers out of the LaMarcus Aldridge sweepstakes.

Lakers

No Kevin Love and no LeMarcus Aldridge. How good really is Greg Monroe? While I understood the Lakers thinking( and could not understand taking Stanley Johnson over Justice Winslow), it looks like this was a gamble that will not pay off, at least this year.

SoCal

Crazy money getting tossed around this offseason.
    You mean this isn't rational.

Love to re-sign for $110 million
    Report: Blazers, Lillard land 5-year, $120M deal
    Bulls, Butler agree to five-year, $90 million deal
    Heat's Dragic to get 5 years, $90M
    Suns, Chandler agree to four-year, $52M deal
    Raptors to give Carroll $60M
    Davis agrees to $145M contract with Pelicans
    Spurs to give Leonard $90M deal
    Magic offer Millsap $80M
    Indy offers Ellis $32M
    Knight to score $70M from Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post

Magic offer Millsap $80M
    Indy offers Ellis $32M
    There are 24 billion reasons why these contracts are entirely rational.

Well, except for Brandon Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post

Magic offer Millsap $80M
    Indy offers Ellis $32M
    IMO, In today's landscape, the only crazy contracts from this list are Knight and Ellis. Sure, the numbers are crazy high across, but this is basketball, a team sport with tiny rosters and huge budgets.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Irving - $14.7 mil
    Haywood - $10.5 mil
    Varejao - $9.6 mil
    Mozgov - $4.9 mil
    Miller - $2.8 mil
    Joe Harris - $845k

They will probably want to bring back Shumpert, JR, and Delavadova. James Jones too. I expect the Cavs to be north of $110 mil in salary next season. This past year, I believe the Nets were #1 with a team payroll of $91 million. Cleveland is going to top that by a cool $20 million. WOW!
    Cavs resign Shumpert for 4 years, $40 million.

The Cavs are on a roll and placing a huge bet on a big 3 of Irving, Love and James, as I think they should. They are essentially going all in on the next 5 year period when James should remain near his peak performance and Love and Irving are at (Love, age 27) or about to be at (Irving, age 23) their prime years. With Thompson, Delly (if he signs), Shumpert, Mozgov and Varejao, they have strong complementary and bench pieces. I don't know if they'll resign J.R., and I think they'd be better off finding another (perhaps more mentally tough and stable) scorer/3 point shooter. If they stay healthy, a big IF, I don't see anyone in the east contending. Yes, they'll have a huge tax next year, but the following years the cap is going to rise dramatically and they'll be able to afford more pieces. We should probably get used to seeing the Cavs playing for the title. I really think the key piece for them is keeping Irving on the court. He's the dynamic scorer LeBron needs as his sidekick. I don't think Love can play that role. But he's probably the best third option in the league.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    Atlanta can finally move their stud (Horford) to his natural position, and doesn't have to worry as much about matching Millsap's crazy offer sheet.
    Looks like the Hawks didn't think it was quite so crazy.

The two-time All-Star power forward agreed to a three-year, $59 million contract as an unrestricted free agent to remain with the Hawks Wednesday, according to multiple sources. The third year is a player option for Millsap, meaning he could elect to become a free agent again in the summer of 2017.
    Really interesting to see Milsap gambling on being able to cash in again in a couple years. Pretty smart deal, in my opinion. Sure, he could have gotten a fourth year if he really wanted it, but he would rather roll the dice on signing another deal in 2 seasons when the cap is stupid high and he is still at least somewhat in his prime. Smart, I think.

Hawks will still probably start Horford and Milsap together, but will be able to play Splitter 20-25 minutes a game to have a legit NBA center in the lineup. Now, the Hawks need to get someone else on the wing and they will be in good shape.

I also think that, even at close to $20 mil a year, Milsap is going to look like a bargain in a couple seasons with the coming cap escalation. As others have noted, just about every contract beign signed right now will look just fine in a couple years when teams are going to be handing out $25-$30 mil contracts to just about everyone.

-Jason "today has been a really great day for the Spurs and Cavs... and a terrible one for the Lakers" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?