Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    Don't be fooled. This gambit is right up their alley. Advanced Redacting with Crayons, a new offering, is an interdisciplinary core course. It is a paper course, of course. Tutors, if needed, will have to be screened. People who are crayoning impaired need not apply. According to Chancellor Fault, this good faith effort is so vital that a two course credit is earned by those individuals successfully completing all course work in satisfactory fashion, ie, submitting a comprehensive, completely redacted paper demonstrating knowledge of the subject matter consistent with the high standards exemplified by UNC, the flagship of public education in The Old North State.

Yes, my friends, it's a twofer, as in how many National Championship banners should be taken behind the woodshed and put to a use commensurate with their former function, that of lining a feeding trough, so that succor may reach its intended destination.
    If I didn't know better, I'd swear that you're obfuscating with me.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Good Question...

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    So true. Without a government to establish basic order, nobody can prosper.
    Can the NCAA prove they are a governing body and hand down the appropriate disciplinary action?... the whole world is watching and waiting... tick tock, tick tock...

DB.

Quote Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
    Can the NCAA prove they are a governing body and hand down the appropriate disciplinary action?... the whole world is watching and waiting... tick tock, tick tock...

DB.
    The whole world is watching, but the only people that matter may not be rooting for the outcome you want to see.

Chansky is out with a fluffer piece claiming inside info. that they are happy with the NOA and it will not require banner removal.
    If it was really that way, they wouldn't be so tight lipped.

Rhymes with "warning"

Rhymes with warning.jpg
    Somebody asked.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Chansky is out with a fluffer piece claiming inside info. that they are happy with the NOA and it will not require banner removal.
    If it was really that way, they wouldn't be so tight lipped.
    Yeah, I don't believe it, either. The party line right now seems to be: "It's LOIC, but it's ALSO nothing to worry about!"

link in case anyone's interested: http://chapelboro.com/news/unc/chans...f-allegations/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, I don't believe it, either. The party line right now seems to be: "It's LOIC, but it's ALSO nothing to worry about!"

link in case anyone's interested: http://chapelboro.com/news/unc/chans...f-allegations/
    But if it *is* true, I guess we'll find out soon if the other schools in the ACC and elsewhere are interested in screaming impotently about UNC getting away with cheating, or are interested in hanging onto their piece of the college athletics billion-dollar hustle. Pretty confident that it will be the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    What makes you think those schools would have a choice in whether to compete on an uneven playing field if the NCAA were to go away? Rather, the choice would be either to compete with cheating schools like Alabama and North Carolina, or compete with non-cheating schools like Army and Bucknell.
    Army cheats! Go NAVY!

A lot easier to hammer a private school like USC or Syracuse than a big public school like UNC that has the resources of a state's power structure to protect them.
    Coach K's on top of it, Duvall.

He gave a speech on Tuesday to the NC General Assembly, pleading with them to emphasize education: http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=4076991

(Coach K also asked for a moment of silence for Dean and Gut at the beginning, which was a nice gesture.)

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Army cheats! Go NAVY!
    Oh yeah! Instant reputation points for you!!
    Bob Green

If you ask ESPN's chief mouthpiece Jay Bilas, that's exactly how it should work. (If you don't ask him, he'll tell you anyway.) Schools should be allowed to police themselves, and everyone should pretend that will work out fine. And it *will* be fine for ESPN, as the content will continue to flow.
    I dunno. The professional sports leagues once thought they could prosper without commissioners, too. But they long ago realized that the money wouldn't flow if they had to rely on themselves to police each other.

The LA Clippers ownership last year and the Patriots this year may not like the power they've ceded to the watchdog, but the other teams (and even the Pats themselves) still arrived at the inevitable conclusion that ceding such control is a necessary prerequisite to keep money flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    does anyone thing that the general public thinks the playing field is level now? Do they think that NCAA rules really prevent cheating?
    I think the rules prevent the most obvious forms of cheating -- like under-the-table payments, fake jobs, completely fraudulent academics. But, of course, some of it occurs.

The school reps to the NCAA are the university presidents. The AD's have their own committee but often accompany and always advise the college presidents.

The university boards -- most of the members, anyway -- value academics and do not want their schools to give bogus educations to athletes or recruit illiterates. But, of course, it happens. I was very impressed with the UNC BoG's actions in hiring Cadwallader to produce the "Wainstein Report." We'll see how they get involved in the "penalty phase" of both NCAA and SACS.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Now that the NCAA notice has been issued I have a poll question. Would removal of past victories OR future loss of post season play and scholarships irritate IC posters more.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Now that the NCAA notice has been issued I have a poll question. Would removal of past victories OR future loss of post season play and scholarships irritate IC posters more.
    The short, but probably accurate answer is: BOTH. IC is close to agitated depression.

I would think the former, assuming certain victories in 2005 and/or 2009 (and 1993, ideally) are vacated. Losing one or more titles would be a devastating blow to the UNC fan's flawed belief system that says they are better than Duke (and everyone).

Everything is secondary to the 2005 Banner. Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

How good are Chansky's sources? After reading his article it sounds like IC should be having a party.

See, that's where I disagree. I don't think we will end up with anyone being the cop. If ESPN doesn't care, and enough of the power conferences don't care, then who else matters? The crooked teams will be in control, and the honest teams will either have to go along with it or learn to enjoy playing in Division II.
    I still don't think we're saying anything different. The question was whether the NCAA will cower now because it is afraid of losing the support of cheaters, or whether it will show backbone now because it is afraid of losing the support of those who follow the rules. You are saying (I think) that if there is no NCAA, there is no cop at all. If I understand you, then, I agree -- but we are talking about two different things.

How good are Chansky's sources? After reading his article it sounds like IC should be having a party.
    Chansky has great sources. Whether he chooses to use them is, well, an entirely different question...

-jk

Re, NCAA, ESPN, major athletic conferences: "Money talks, b.s/ walks." So much money involved.