Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

UNC Athletics Scandal UPDATE: UNC Receives NOA from NCAA

Time to start a new thread...

Big news coming today

The University of North Carolina has received its Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, but will not release the details of the report until a later date, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

The NCAA does not publicly announce delivery of a Notice of Allegations and member institutions are not required to release the full report. UNC is expected to announce the receipt of its NOA on Friday afternoon.
    I'm hoping hard for the dreaded Lack of Institutional Control!

-Jason "grab the popcorn!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Public relations

Note the release of the news on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend. UNC's public relations firm is doing its work.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Note the release of the news on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend. UNC's public relations firm is doing its work.
    Moreover, given his whining at the Western North Carolina HOF induction, I predict that Ol' Roy will take credit for getting the NCAA to release the NOA.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Time to start a new thread...

Big news coming today
    A brother should warn folks when a link leads to Inside Carolina. There might be digestive events or party planning a person needs to prepare for. Depending on the breaks.

NOA from the NCAA and an announcement from the SACS about the same time. Hehe.

I used to hate the off season.

No news coming today.

In a joint statement, Chancellor Carol L. Folt and Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham said the University had begun reviewing the NCAA’s notice.

“We take these allegations very seriously, and we will carefully evaluate them to respond within the NCAA’s 90-day deadline,” the statement said. “The University will publicly release the NCAA’s notice as soon as possible. The notice is lengthy and must be prepared for public dissemination to ensure we protect privacy rights as required by federal and state law. When that review for redactions is complete, the University will post the notice on the Carolina Commitment website and notify the news media. When we respond to the NCAA’s allegations, we will follow this same release process.

"The notice is lengthy."

Hehe.

Andrew Carter of the N&O tweeted that UNC is now in bunker mode. Take from that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    "The notice is lengthy."

Hehe.
    It might use big words, too. Could take a few days for them to get through it. I don't think they come in an illustrated version.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I stopped reading after the "we take these allegations seriously" part. After all, that's the best joke I'm going to hear all day.

The last NOA was issued to UNC on June 21, 2011 and had been released by June 23, 2011. Of course, that one was probably not as long as this one and June 21 was a Tuesday, not the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    The last NOA was issued to UNC on June 21, 2011 and had been released by June 23, 2011. Of course, that one was probably not as long as this one and June 21 was a Tuesday, not the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.
    As others have noted, the press release does not say that UNC received the Notice of Allegations today, only that "[w]e have received the notice of allegations from the NCAA . . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I stopped reading after the "we take these allegations seriously" part. After all, that's the best joke I'm going to hear all day.
    UNC absolutely takes the allegations seriously, and has the law and public relations firm bills to prove it. It's the events that prompted the allegations that they don't take seriously at all.

Summer School Needed

“We take these allegations very seriously, and we will carefully evaluate them to respond within the NCAA’s 90-day deadline,” the statement said. “The University will publicly release the NCAA’s notice as soon as possible. The notice is lengthy and must be prepared for public dissemination to ensure we protect privacy rights as required by federal and state law. When that review for redactions is complete, the University will post the notice on the Carolina Commitment website and notify the news media. When we respond to the NCAA’s allegations, we will follow this same release process."
    This will take a long time. Bubba is a Notre Dame grad. He will need to enroll in UNC Summer School to study both Crayons 101 and Advanced Redacting 202. Both are paper classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    This will take a long time. Bubba is a Notre Dame grad. He will need to enroll in UNC Summer School to study both Crayons 101 and Advanced Redacting 202. Both are paper classes.
    Crayons and paper classes? I see what you did there.

Does the Advanced Redacting class come with White Out/Correction Tape or do the enrollees need to purchase their own?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My advice...

...Go to Inside Carolina. It's pretty amazing right now. Not as good as when Duke wins the natty or Duke spanks Carolina, but nearly as good. The uncertainty is absolutely killing the fans.

I just wanna smile all day long.

Best thing in college basketball? Duke winning it.
    Second best thing in college basketball? UNC getting smoked.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

As much as I am awaiting the NOA's release, I am more eagerly awaiting that part of Carolina's response that equates "deflator" with "one working to lose weight" .... or the functional equivalent of that explanation for these particular circumstances.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Moreover, given his whining at the Western North Carolina HOF induction, I predict that Ol' Roy will take credit for getting the NCAA to release the NOA.
    Poor Roy..Can't all of you see that he and his beloved school are the victims in this case? Shame on the NCAA for picking on Ole Roy like this. It is not as if he had any knowledge that cheating was going on...

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Poor Roy..Can't all of you see that he and his beloved school are the victims in this case? Shame on the NCAA for picking on Ole Roy like this. It is not as if he had any knowledge that cheating was going on...
    Roy says that his program is the most investigated program in history:

"We're about the most investigated program in the history of college athletics. We had two internal investigations, former Governor (Jim) Martin did an investigation, then the Wainstein Report (from a) federal prosecutor, and now the NCAA," he said. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...-investigation
    He missed the investigation by SACS. Does he think that being the most investigated program in history shows that they are the victims here? Maybe this gives us some idea of what their public relations approach is going to be: everybody else does the same things, and nobody else would be able to stand this kind of spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Andrew Carter of the N&O tweeted that UNC is now in bunker mode. Take from that what you will.
    His tweet (from Pack Pride):

Andrew Carter
    @_andrewcarter
    UNC has apparently learned nothing after five years of bad public relations and has gone into bunker mode after reportedly receiving NOA
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    As others have noted, the press release does not say that UNC received the Notice of Allegations today, only that "[w]e have received the notice of allegations from the NCAA . . . ."

I prefer to believe that the NCAA's original plan was to wait a little longer, but it decided to accelerate its timetable a bit and delivered the NOA today (or yesterday) as a nice little "F--- you" in response to the latest comments from Mr. Woe-Is-Me-They-Won't-Even-Tell-Us-The-Allegations-And-It's-Killing-My-Recruiting-And-There's-Nothing-To-See-Here-Anyway-Because-This-Is-All-Being-Blown-Out-Of-Proportion. Kind of the NCAA's way of saying, "You think recruiting is hard without knowing the allegations? OK, here you go. Maybe in the future you'll be careful what you ask for. Have a nice Memorial Day weekend and enjoy the rest of your summer, jackwagon."

Unlikely, I know. But a guy can dream.
    Last edited by Tom B.; 05-22-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015