Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 2015

I continue to relish the role of underdog a bit. So what if the various comments preseason undervalue what this team will be! The excitement of a season full of "unexpected" wins is hard to beat. How fantastic it will be if this is the season for a win in a bowl game!

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I continue to relish the role of underdog a bit. So what if the various comments preseason undervalue what this team will be! The excitement of a season full of "unexpected" wins is hard to beat. How fantastic it will be if this is the season for a win in a bowl game!
    I don't want to go back to El Paso, but if that's what it will take I'd do just about anything for a bowl win!

Quote Originally Posted by mbird30 View Post
    I don't want to go back to El Paso, but if that's what it will take I'd do just about anything for a bowl win!
    El Paso was a great place to see a game!

But Florida in early January would be even better!

LGD !!!!!!!

I'm an optimist, but I'd definitely take the "over" for this season -- seven wins being the benchmark.

The non-conference schedule is soft once again (toughest game is home against Northwestern) and we get the two weakest teams in the Atlantic Division -- that's rebuilding Wake and rebuilding BC.

That's half the schedule -- six games -- in which Duke should be solidly favored. I will be shocked if we don't win at least five of those games and six is likely.

That leaves the six games against the Coastal Division. I think the division is wide open. Not that there are any gimmies in the bunch, but think about this -- Duke has beaten every other team in the division at least once in the last two years. I think a 3-3 record is a reasonable projection, which would mean 5-3 in the ACC and 8 or 9 wins overall. A 4-2 division mark and there's a good chance we're back in Charlotte.

Obviously, a lot depends on Sirk at QB ... Duke does have question marks. But so do all the other teams in the Coastal. I'm not kidding when I say the division is wide open ... it wouldn't be a shock if any of the seven teams in the division were to win it.

But I think eight wins is a MINIMUM projection for this team against this schedule. A third-straight nine win-plus season is not farfetched at all.

I admit that my primary hope for the coming season is that Duke WINS a bowl game. We've come heartbreakingly closer for three straight seasons ... it's time to win a bowl, any bowl.

So, after all of that optimism I do think we should be a better than 7-5 team (especially with our schedule) and we have the talent to beat any team on our schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    But I think eight wins is a MINIMUM projection for this team against this schedule. A third-straight nine win-plus season is not farfetched at all.
    Another unknown for Duke, and every other team, is whether or not a redshirt or true freshman breaks out and becomes a significant contributor. We have some candidates on both sides of the ball. The emergence of a new star could be the difference maker in winning 8 or 9 games rather than 6 or 7.

Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, T.J. Rahming, Keyston Fuller, Taariq Shabazz, Edgar Cerenord, Quaven Ferguson, Marquies Price, Trevon McSwain, Ben Humphreys...the list goes on.
    Bob Green

More than one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Another unknown for Duke, and every other team, is whether or not a redshirt or true freshman breaks out and becomes a significant contributor. We have some candidates on both sides of the ball. The emergence of a new star could be the difference maker in winning 8 or 9 games rather than 6 or 7.

Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, T.J. Rahming, Keyston Fuller, Taariq Shabazz, Edgar Cerenord, Quaven Ferguson, Marquies Price, Trevon McSwain, Ben Humphreys...the list goes on.
    I like a few of the guys on this list to be great this year. My favorite is our possible D-line contributors with Cerenord, Quaven, Price, McSwain, Mugala etc... all who are possibly some of the best we have had in years

I like a few of the guys on this list to be great this year. My favorite is our possible D-line contributors with Cerenord, Quaven, Price, McSwain, Mugala etc... all who are possibly some of the best we have had in years
    Certainly the best since VO & Co at the beginning of the Coach Cut era. I am excited about the possibility of the D-Line taking a nice step forward this year. Duke Football needs for that area of the team to improve. I'm also excited to see what happens at QB and WR this year. I believe Sirk has the potential to develop into a high quality QB and we have so much studly young talent at WR, who will step up and sieze the opportunity? The thrill of the unknown is both fun and scary, but I like the upside for this season. LET'S GO DUKE!

Jeremy Cash and Kelby Brown preseason A-A

PHIL STEELE'S 2015 PRESEASON
    ALL-AMERICAN TEAM

Phil Steele is one of the most respected college football analysts. Nice to see Jeremy (1st team) and Kelby (2nd team) get this recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    PHIL STEELE'S 2015 PRESEASON
    ALL-AMERICAN TEAM

Phil Steele is one of the most respected college football analysts. Nice to see Jeremy (1st team) and Kelby (2nd team) get this recognition.
    Yes, I saw that yesterday and it was awesome to see. I am very happy for Matt Skura and DeVon Edwards who made his All ACC Teams as well.

Nice honor for all four gentlemen, and Jeremy thanks again for staying this year!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice honor for all four gentlemen, and Jeremy thanks again for staying this year!
    I agree. Duke will benefit greatly from his leadership, dynamic play making ability and nose to the grindstone work ethic. Filling his shoes won't be easy after this season. 1st rounder next year? I think it's a strong possibility.

Eight Blue Devils made Steele's All ACC list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

In addition to the four already mentioned Will Monday, Ross Martin, Lucas Patrick and Casey Blaser were on the list.

EDIT: Three of five offensive linemen are preseason All ACC. I'd say the OL is in good shape and will once again be a team strength.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-03-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    EDIT: Three of five offensive linemen are preseason All ACC. I'd say the OL is in good shape and will once again be a team strength.
    It is great to see that group with such high expectations. For the guys that aren't on the list, they are playing next to the dudes who have shown what it takes to make such an impact and to raise eyebrows. Good company to keep, and to learn from.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It is great to see that group with such high expectations. For the guys that aren't on the list, they are playing next to the dudes who have shown what it takes to make such an impact and to raise eyebrows. Good company to keep, and to learn from.
    Agreed. It has started to come to National attention that Duke Football recruits/players have put themselves in a position of opportunity. Great coaching, great competition and rapidly improving facilities are producing high quality results. See Laken Tomlinson and Tacoby Cofield as examples to follow. Work your butt off everyday, get better each year and you can end up in the NFL. Clearly Patrick, Blaser and Skura have learned something from those guys, and it's reasonable to think that this will be passed down to the incoming guys behind them. Daniels, Cockrell, Cash...I like that trend a lot I must admit. It really speaks to the level the Duke program has risen to under Coach Cut.
    Last edited by duke blue brewcrew; 06-03-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Eight Blue Devils made Steele's All ACC list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

I had no idea that three OL players would make this list which makes me even more optimistic about this team. I also think that the two/three players who will start on O-Line this season that are not listed will be solid, and I think that none of them will stick out as a weak link. That's just my opinion though.
    To the point on Jeremy Cash leaving next year:
    As hard as that will be, I think we have put ourselves in the best position possible to be prepared for that and I think that Corbin McCarthy and Brandon Feamster (both players who play that position (Feamster was recruited specifically to play Cash's position)) will be pretty good if not great players after Jeremy is gone. I think that's one of the amazing things about what Cutcliffe has done. He has put us in positions where each year we can get better even if we lose some of the best players in school history because we have the right pieces to fill any void left by a few players.

Coach Cutcliffe previews the safety position:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...db_oem_id=4200

We are very much a defense that depends on outstanding safety play.
    Bob Green

Coach Cutcliffe previews the safety position:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...db_oem_id=4200
    Thanks for sharing these Bob, I haven't seen any of these yet. I saw a few more while I was there and thought I would post them for those like me.

Cutcliffe QB Preview:
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...791&catid=1002

Summer Spotlight Thomas Sirk:
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...192&catid=1002

Summer Spotlight Edgar Cerenord:
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...194&catid=1002

ESPN article naming Kelby Brown as one of the darkhorse candidates for ACC Defensive Player of the Year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...er-of-the-year

...Brown has got a world of talent on a defense that looks improved, and he’ll be in a hybrid role this season that should allow him to put up some big numbers. If he stays healthy, Brown has got as good a shot at player of the year honors as anyone.
    Really? I was under the impression Kyler Brown would be playing the new DE/LB hybrid position. There hasn't been a lot available to read this off season so I could easily be mistaken and jumping to conclusions but I certainly expect to see Kelby at MLB.
    Bob Green

ESPN article naming Kelby Brown as one of the darkhorse candidates for ACC Defensive Player of the Year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...er-of-the-year

Really? I was under the impression Kyler Brown would be playing the new DE/LB hybrid position. There hasn't been a lot available to read this off season so I could easily be mistaken and jumping to conclusions but I certainly expect to see Kelby at MLB.
    I think you are correct, Bob. The media coverage of Duke football continues to lack dependable substance.

I hope Kelby has a great year, but Jeremy Cash has to top any list of defensive player of the year candidates from Duke.