Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    ESPN article naming Kelby Brown as one of the darkhorse candidates for ACC Defensive Player of the Year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...er-of-the-year

Really? I was under the impression Kyler Brown would be playing the new DE/LB hybrid position. There hasn't been a lot available to read this off season so I could easily be mistaken and jumping to conclusions but I certainly expect to see Kelby at MLB.
    I think the media is having an oops moment on the fact that there are two K. Browns on Duke's squad. It is my understanding that Kyler is playing that new hybrid-DE position and Kelby will be at his traditional MLB position. Has anyone seen anything to the contrary?

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    I hope Kelby has a great year, but Jeremy Cash has to top any list of defensive player of the year candidates from Duke.
    He's a 1st round draft pick kind of potential IMHO. I would love to see Duke Football make it two years in a row. Instant momentum boost for a recruiting effort that is on a roll these days!

Following is a link to the current motivational video. Duke football never rests.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9H9...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    He's a 1st round draft pick kind of potential IMHO. I would love to see Duke Football make it two years in a row. Instant momentum boost for a recruiting effort that is on a roll these days!
    Kelby has missed two seasons following knee surgery, so I can understand some skepticism. If he can stay healthy and if he is the same player he was in 2013, he absolutely should be in the All-America mix. But those are significant qualifiers.

Cash is also coming off surgery but only missed spring ball not a full season and spring ball, as is the case with Brown. And Cash is a stud. So, he seems like a safer bet for All-America mentions and high draft pick status.

But it sure would be nice to have a healthy Cash and a healthy Brown anchoring the 2015 Duke defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Kelby has missed two seasons following knee surgery, so I can understand some skepticism. If he can stay healthy and if he is the same player he was in 2013, he absolutely should be in the All-America mix. But those are significant qualifiers.

Cash is also coming off surgery but only missed spring ball not a full season and spring ball, as is the case with Brown. And Cash is a stud. So, he seems like a safer bet for All-America mentions and high draft pick status.

But it sure would be nice to have a healthy Cash and a healthy Brown anchoring the 2015 Duke defense.
    I'll take two All-Americans if we have to.

There is no question that when health, Kelby is an absolute STUD and he makes everyone better on D! Even coming off of the injury from last year, he's a pre-season All ACC candidate. That means the kid is a beast and capable of AA status by the end of the year. Sadly, the injuries have turned some of us into Mizzou residents, "Show Me". Should Kelby return to his former self, Duke D should be very solid this year! Like OPK, I'd be more than happy to cheer for two AA's on D.

Lindys has Duke fourth in the Coastal:

1. GT
    2. VT
    3. UNC
    4. Duke
    5. Pitt
    6. Miami
    7. Virginia
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Lindys has Duke fourth in the Coastal:

1. GT
    2. VT
    3. UNC
    4. Duke
    5. Pitt
    6. Miami
    7. Virginia
    It's better than the last place predictions of the past. I get that there is some uncertainty coming into this year. I think Duke has the potential to finish a lot higher than that. Once we see a few question marks in action, it should be easier to assess. That said, I like Duke to finish in the top 3 in the Coastal, but I don't know exactly where in the Top 3. Do you have a prediction Bob?

Do you have a prediction Bob? Once we see a few question marks in action, it should be easier to assess.
    I rearranged the sentences in your post the same way editors have rearranged the chapters of Kafka's The Trial. You really meant to write them in the order I have them. I believe we will compete to be Coastal Division Champions. As you state, there are questions: Sirk at quarterback, establishing a consistent pass rush, someone stepping up into the offensive playmaker role filled by Crowder the past two seasons. Furthermore, there is a big unknown, not a question an unknown, will Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver remain healthy and productive throughout the season. The health of those two will be huge. There are also strengths such as at running back and defensive back, plus our special teams are poised to be really special. I am also convinced the offensive line will once again be a team strength. Lots of optimism...

My prediction, I'll go with a range: in conference we will go somewhere between 5-3 and 7-1.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-10-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Change prediction
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I think you are correct, Bob. The media coverage of Duke football continues to lack dependable substance.
    Caught College Sports network on XM radio this morning. Neuheusel (sp) and his buddy decided to discuss Duke and pick each game. Both came up with 6-6 and debated if we could beat NW, UNC or BC. Basically thought we could win 2 or 3 ACC games. Described offense as losing QB from last year, OK at OL, questionable at receiver. When "buddy" started to summarize defense, he stopped and just said, remember this is Duke football we're talking about. Consensus- Cut is a great coach and he can pull off a 6-6 season. Obviously they know nothing about Duke football.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Caught College Sports network on XM radio this morning. Neuheusel (sp) and his buddy decided to discuss Duke and pick each game. Both came up with 6-6 and debated if we could beat NW, UNC or BC. Basically thought we could win 2 or 3 ACC games. Described offense as losing QB from last year, OK at OL, questionable at receiver. When "buddy" started to summarize defense, he stopped and just said, remember this is Duke football we're talking about. Consensus- Cut is a great coach and he can pull off a 6-6 season. Obviously they know nothing about Duke football.
    You may recall that Neuheisel badly wanted the Duke job after Roof was let go and Duke didn't give him the time of day. So, he may not be the guy to look to for an objective analysis of Duke football. Or maybe even a competent one.

You may recall that Neuheisel badly wanted the Duke job after Roof was let go and Duke didn't give him the time of day. So, he may not be the guy to look to for an objective analysis of Duke football. Or maybe even a competent one.
    Thanks - forgot that. I really don't think either one of em knew anything about Duke football other than Duke's schedule. They did pronounce our opponents names correctly.

Hell, we are getting discussed on satellite radio. And the worst they are calling for is .500. We have come a long way!

Having said that -- we have some big questions, but by the same token we have concomitant big upside. I expect we will disappoint the doubters yet again.

We will compete for the Coastal title I think, and I'll take whatever that brings.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-10-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Too much uncertainty at QB - and receivers. I agree.

But NO ONE (outside of us) is talking about our RB's.

No one.

I think we have one or two good ones.

And shouldn't our O-line be OK too?

Just curious. Along with Bob Green.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Hell, we are getting discussed on satellite radio. And the worst they are calling for is .500. We have come a long way!

Having said that -- we have some big questions, but by the same token we have concomitant big upside. I expect we will disappoint the doubters yet again.

We will compete for the Coastal title I think, and I'll take whatever that brings.
    Agreed. Even if analysts are getting it wrong because they simply don't follow the Blue Devils closely like the fan base on this board, the fact that Duke Football is getting some air time on a national radio show is progress. I think they are way off base on .500. I agree with Bob, that Duke will be somewhere between 5-3 and 7-1 in the conference, worst case on the low end, 4-4. I do not think that Blue Devils lose a non-conference game this year. Let's be honest, Duke's benefiting from a favorable 2015 schedule. I am sure that I am guilty of looking through Duke blue colored glasses when I evaluate this as objectively as I am able to, but I come up with no worse than 8-4.

Agreed. Even if analysts are getting it wrong because they simply don't follow the Blue Devils closely like the fan base on this board, the fact that Duke Football is getting some air time on a national radio show is progress. I think they are way off base on .500. I agree with Bob, that Duke will be somewhere between 5-3 and 7-1 in the conference, worst case on the low end, 4-4. I do not think that Blue Devils lose a non-conference game this year. Let's be honest, Duke's benefiting from a favorable 2015 schedule. I am sure that I am guilty of looking through Duke blue colored glasses when I evaluate this as objectively as I am able to, but I come up with no worse than 8-4.
    I agree. 8-4 seems like the floor for the 2015 Duke team, not the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    I think we have one or two good ones.
    Peloton: I'll take ACC Football for $100, Alex.

Alex: This ACC program has three very good running backs in Shaquille Powell, Shaun Wilson, and the returning Jela Duncan.

Peloton: Who is Duke University?

Alex: Yes, that's correct.

But, you were probably being sarcastic, Nyesq83 . Assuming our offensive line is once again a strength, our running backs should have productive seasons. As much as I've loved our passing game over the years (Bennett, Brown, Renfree, Lewis, Castor, Hines, Vernon, Crowder, and many other very talented QBs/receivers too numerous to list), I suspect we'll have a large dose of running plays. That's fine with me though as I've grown to appreciate the running game more as time goes by. Watching someone such as Shaun Wilson juke and fly past defenders for large chunks of yardage or Jela Duncan shed and punish would be tacklers, is an absolute thing of beauty in my opinion. Let those who underestimate Coach David Cutcliffe and this team do so at their own peril...we shall reap the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Peloton: I'll take ACC Football for $100, Alex.

Alex: This ACC program has three very good running backs in Shaquille Powell, Shaun Wilson, and the returning Jela Duncan.

Peloton: Who is Duke University?

Alex: Yes, that's correct.

But, you were probably being sarcastic, Nyesq83 . Assuming our offensive line is once again a strength, our running backs should have productive seasons. As much as I've loved our passing game over the years (Bennett, Brown, Renfree, Lewis, Castor, Hines, Vernon, Crowder, and many other very talented QBs/receivers too numerous to list), I suspect we'll have a large dose of running plays. That's fine with me though as I've grown to appreciate the running game more as time goes by. Watching someone such as Shaun Wilson juke and fly past defenders for large chunks of yardage or Jela Duncan shed and punish would be tacklers, is an absolute thing of beauty in my opinion. Let those who underestimate Coach David Cutcliffe and this team do so at their own peril...we shall reap the rewards.
    Please don't leave Joseph Ajeigbe off the list of very good running backs. The best is yet to be for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Please don't leave Joseph Ajeigbe off the list of very good running backs. The best is yet to be for him.
    A pox upon me! DITBD, you are so right and believe me, I think we've yet to see what Joseph's really capable of doing. I'm certainly anxious to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    A pox upon me! DITBD, you are so right and believe me, I think we've yet to see what Joseph's really capable of doing. I'm certainly anxious to find out.
    An embarrassment of riches in running backs ... think nothing of it!