Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 2015

Football 2015

ESPN has Duke #7... in the ACC.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10_15 View Post
    I'm ok with starting out without lofty expectations since we are going to be led by a QB that nobody has seen in a true leadership role yet. If you look at in terms of division standings, they are saying we'll be third, behind GT and VT. I'm ok with that, too. It's a good place to start the season, and I'm quite confident that we can move up that list once we get our season under way and once again battle for a championship.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    P.S. I love their intro for the Heels.
    Forget the usual preseason hype. It is time to start seeing results from the Tar Heels.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10_15 View Post
    As the article pointed out there are serious questions to be answered at quarterback, wide receiver and on the offensive line. I'd add defensive end as creating a pass rush hasn't been a strength except via the blitz and our best defensive ends, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Dezmond Wallace are now UDFA in the NFL. I am extremely optimistic the players in the queue are as good or better than the players that have departed, but the folks who vote in preseason polls are not going to give Duke the benefit of the doubt. I'm fairly certain all these polls are conducted in Missouri. Wide receivers Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee, and company are going to show people a thing or two come September.

Looking at the rankings, Duke is 3rd in the Coastal behind Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. I'm not sold on the Hokies as Virginia Tech appears to be a program in decline, but Georgia Tech could be formidable with Justin Thomas having a year's experience as the starting quarterback.

Bottom line is I believe Duke should be #2 in the Coastal behind Georgia Tech coming out of Spring practice. As far as the Atlantic goes, I'll limit my comments to pointing out Duke's 2015 opponents are ranked #11 (Boston College) and #13 (Wake Forest). We need to take advantage of fortuitous scheduling.
    Bob Green

Here's what's scary for Hokie fans, from the same article --

4. Virginia Tech Hokies

2014 record: 7-6

Previous ranking: 5

Virginia Tech ended spring with its offense ahead of its defense, with enough progress to make us feel optimistic about the Hokies’ ability to compete for an ACC championship this season.
    Offense ahead of defense? At VPI? -- Sounds like a disastrous season in the offing.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    As far as the Atlantic goes, I'll limit my comments to pointing out Duke's 2015 opponents are ranked #11 (Boston College) and #13 (Wake Forest). We need to take advantage of fortuitous scheduling.
    Interesting that Georgia Tech has to play Clemson and Florida State from the Atlantic ... they could be better than Duke, but still finish with a worse ACC record.

I agree that we need to take advantage of our schedule. This is the last time for a while that the schedule works in our favor. Starting in 2016, we get Louisville, Clemson and FSU in consecutive years from the Atlantic (Wake is our permanent partner, so we get them every year from the Atlantic).

And the non-conference is manageable too. Northwestern in Durham is not a gimmie, but it's a winnable game. At Tulane and at Army are also games Duke should win. NCCU at home is the one gimmie on the schedule.

This is also the last time we get it easy with our OOC schedule. Starting in 2016, we played either Baylor or Notre Dame OOC ever season through 2020.

Wallace Wade Stadium update

A picture is worth a thousand words:

https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/5...270784/photo/1
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke? We've seen the results. Now it's time for some pre-season hype.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sorry, I'm confused. I thought we were talking about football not basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words:

https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/5...270784/photo/1
    i don't think the seats were there during the basketball banquet. makin progress!
    April 1

#7 Pre-Season

I'm actually Ok with this ranking. I think it's pretty accurate given the Blue Devils will be breaking in new starters at QB, both WRs, multiple OL/DL positions & LB. I agree with other posters that I believe Duke will climb once the season starts and the team starts clicking together. Assuming they preform as we the fans hope, it should be another fun year to watch Duke football! GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    I'm actually Ok with this ranking. I think it's pretty accurate given the Blue Devils will be breaking in new starters at QB, both WRs, multiple OL/DL positions & LB. I agree with other posters that I believe Duke will climb once the season starts and the team starts clicking together. Assuming they preform as we the fans hope, it should be another fun year to watch Duke football! GO DUKE!
    Sure. But everybody is breaking in new starters.

And I understand the show-me skepticism of any team breaking in a new QB.

But Duke gets back Deaver, Duncan and Kelby Brown, returns four of its top six OL, has tremendous talent at RB, LB, DB and special teams and more than a few promising youngsters. I'm particularly excited about the young talent at WR and defensive line.

And the coaching staff seems to know its way around a clipboard.

It seems like last season should have demonstrated that 2013 was not a fluke and that Cut has established a quality program, not just one quality team. The kind of program that replaces talent with talent and keeps on keeping on.

Anyway. We'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

But Duke gets back Deaver, Duncan and Kelby Brown, returns four of its top six OL, has tremendous talent at RB, LB, DB and special teams and more than a few promising youngsters. I'm particularly excited about the young talent at WR and defensive line.

It seems like last season should have demonstrated that 2013 was not a fluke and that Cut has established a quality program, not just one quality team. The kind of program that replaces talent with talent and keeps on keeping on.

If I had to honestly answer where I stand on the up-coming season, I would say I'm cautiously optomistic and largely for the reasons you state. In Cut & Company I trust, there is no doubt about it. Duke has a wealth of talent coming back, I absolutely agree. The questions the Blue Devils have coming into this season are at DL & QB. Does Duke have the depth and talent to finally pressure the opposing QB and stuff the run? How does Duke build experience at QB? A position where they are as young as I can ever remember...Thad Lewis' freshman year maybe?

Another thing: The defensive tackle cadre looks awesome. Two redshirt freshmen, Cerenord and Ferguson make their debut: 6-2, 300. What's not to like? They will be led by senior Wray and three others with significant game experience. Altogether this is six big, powerful defensive dudes. (Not counting a seventh who saw only limited playing time in 2013.) I dunno if Cut will play all six regularly, but this position is a team strength. It has the potential to dominate any offensive line facing it. Prognosticators would be wise to note that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Another thing: The defensive tackle cadre looks awesome. Two redshirt freshmen, Cerenord and Ferguson make their debut: 6-2, 300. What's not to like? They will be led by senior Wray and three others with significant game experience. Altogether this is six big, powerful defensive dudes. (Not counting a seventh who saw only limited playing time in 2013.) I dunno if Cut will play all six regularly, but this position is a team strength. It has the potential to dominate any offensive line facing it. Prognosticators would be wise to note that.
    I dunno about dominating any offensive line facing them. Have you seen some of the beef up front for f$u and Clemson in the last few years? Those dudes are ginormous.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Once again, respect won't be given. It will be earned.

In other words -- We Are Duke. Play Duke ball.

I'm okay with it.

Rip 'em up, Tear 'em up, Give'm Hell DUKE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Rip 'em up, Tear 'em up, Give'm Hell DUKE!!!!!!
    You old goat. You probably remember the sound baffles and smoke in Duke Indoor Stadium.

I think 7 shows it has demonstrated that Jim - that suggests they expect us to be at least an average acc team and a bowl team in a rebuilding year. That's pretty incredible!

And duke loses a ton of it's offense in the line, qb and crowder , even if blakeny comes back. 7 seems fair to me. And they rightfully have unc not high so I'm good

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Let's let the new starters and freshman get some actual snaps under their belts with real bullets flying before we crown them dominant. The potential is there for sure, but they've done nothing that secure them the title of dominant to this point. I hope they prove to be a position of strength, that would be a very refreshing change.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I dunno about dominating any offensive line facing them. Have you seen some of the beef up front for f$u and Clemson in the last few years? Those dudes are ginormous.
    Good thing the only way we play Clemson or FSU is in an ACC championship game, which would be the mark of a successful season.

None of these rankings matter. None. Ever.