Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Football 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I'm jealous. As a NYC resident, I'll think of your tailgate as I watch most games on ESPN 3, except for the trip to West Point, which I'm really looking forward to.
    I'm a big ESPN3 user during Duke Football season. I am not an Apple person what so ever, and I represent the brand no form or fashion. That said, I discovered something awesome. Apple TV has the ESPN 3 app, so you don't have to watch the games on your laptop anymore! If your TV is internet capable, this point may be irrelevant for you.

I'm jealous. As a NYC resident, I'll think of your tailgate as I watch most games on ESPN 3, except for the trip to West Point, which I'm really looking forward to.
    OK, we accept. Your're hosting the tailgate at West Point.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    I'm a big ESPN3 user during Duke Football season. I am not an Apple person what so ever, and I represent the brand no form or fashion. That said, I discovered something awesome. Apple TV has the ESPN 3 app, so you don't have to watch the games on your laptop anymore! If your TV is internet capable, this point may be irrelevant for you.
    Thanks. I actually have it used it all last season. I originally got it so my son could watch programs we downloaded from iTunes on the big screen and discovered the Watch ESPN app on it. It's definitely worth the investment to watch the games on the TV (and to make your son happy -- just saying).

I used the WatchESPN app and used Chromecast to watch on my TV

Since I was at the last game at old WW, thinking of hitting the first one at new WW. Is the game "set" at 6:00 or is that still subject to late change?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Since I was at the last game at old WW, thinking of hitting the first one at new WW. Is the game "set" at 6:00 or is that still subject to late change?
    That game is scheduled to be broadcast by ESPN3.

The below is from ESPN's ACC Blog. Nothing too new here and is based off of the News and Observer article on Cutcliffe/Sirk that others have seen. But still something to read as the final push to the regular season is on. The interesting part I found was towards the end when David Hale discusses Boone's stats.

David Cutcliffe confident Thomas Sirk can handle starting job

David M. Hale, ESPN Staff Writer

There's plenty of turnover at Duke this year, with mainstays like Laken Tomlinson, Jamison Crowder, David Helton and, now due to injury, Kelby Brown gone. So, too, is the winningest quarterback in the program's history, but that doesn't seem to be much of a concern for David Cutcliffe, as the Greensboro News & Record writes.

Thomas Sirk and his 14 career pass attempts is ready to step in, and Cutcliffe has repeatedly said the redshirt junior has his full confidence. And why shouldn't he? Cutcliffe's built a career on developing quarterbacks, even at Duke.

From the News & Record:

"During Cutcliffe's seven-year tenure at Duke, his quarterbacks have completed 61.5 percent of their passes. only once has a starting quarterback finished the season with a completion percentage lower than 60, and that was Boone last year.

This season will be the third time that Duke, under Cutcliffe, has rolled out a new starter at quarterback. Each time, Cutcliffe has at least managed to coax a productive season out of the newcomer."

The story hypes Boone's success as one more reason to believe in Cutcliffe's magic, but it also manages to offer some perspective on the job when mentioning Boone's relatively low completion percentage last year.

It's not to take anything away from Boone, who deserves ample credit for leading the offense for a program that's won 19 games in the last two years. But look at the raw numbers, and they're not exactly Heisman-worthy.

Of the 75 quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts against Power 5 competition last year, Boone ranked 64th in passer efficiency (111.2), 66th in yards-per-attempt (5.69) and 56th in completion percentage (54.3) -- all while boasting the third-lowest sack rate in the country and having a strong stable of backs at his disposal.

Sirk's legs have been his hallmark thus far, and Cutcliffe said he's the fastest quarterback he's ever coached, but it's his arm that's the big question. But as Boone's numbers last year showed, Sirk doesn't need to have a stellar season to be effective. What's more, if he can be a bit more of a downfield threat than Boone was -- his 5.69 YPA was the lowest by any Duke quarterback since Cutcliffe arrived -- it might open things up more for what should be an exceptional ground game.

There's reason for concern at Duke this spring because so many key pieces are missing, but Cutcliffe is right to focus his anxiety elsewhere. Sirk won't need to dominate, and he's more than capable of being an effective enough weapon to match Boone's numbers from a year ago.
    The following Pro Style QBs were rated by Rivals ahead of Sirk out of High School. Only Voytik, Towles and Wilson have made much of a positive mark on CFB. Surprisingly high percentage of transfers. Note - Does not include Dual-option QBs such as Jameis Winston.

Let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Cut loves him and he didn't exactly fall off the turnip truck.

Pro-style QBs ranked by Rivals ahead of Sirk for class of 2012:
    Gunnar Kiel
    Zach Kline
    Tanner Mangum
    Chad Voytik ****
    Jake Rodrigues
    Tyler Mathews
    Wes Lund
    Nathan Peterman
    Patrick Towles ****
    Conner Brewer
    Travis Wilson ***
    Bart Houston
    Shane Dillon
    Ford Childress
    Philip Nelson
    Zeke Pike
    Clayton Nicholas
    Tyler O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    The following Pro Style QBs were rated by Rivals ahead of Sirk out of High School. Only Voytik, Towles and Wilson have made much of a positive mark on CFB. Surprisingly high percentage of transfers. Note - Does not include Dual-option QBs such as Jameis Winston.

Let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Cut loves him and he didn't exactly fall off the turnip truck.

Gunnar Kiel
    Zach Kline
    Tanner Mangum
    Chad Voytik ****
    Jake Rodrigues
    Tyler Mathews
    Wes Lund
    Nathan Peterman
    Patrick Towles ****
    Conner Brewer
    Travis Wilson ***
    Bart Houston
    Shane Dillon
    Ford Childress
    Philip Nelson
    Zeke Pike
    Clayton Nicholas
    Tyler O'Connor
    It should be noted that Sirk only became a full-time QB as a high-school senior. Prior to that, he was a wide receiver and safety. So, it makes sense that a late-to-QB- convert might be over-looked a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It should be noted that Sirk only became a full-time QB as a high-school senior. Prior to that, he was a wide receiver and safety. So, it makes sense that a late-to-QB- convert might be over-looked a bit.
    Jim, you would know better than I would, but wasn't he a TE as well? I thought I remembered reading that. Regardless, you make a great point. Sirk got a lot of QB coaching during his Sr. year and following if memory serves.

1/2 price sale for the game at Cheatville.

There's no better way for a Carolina fan to celebrate Homecoming than to be in Kenan Stadium watching the Heels take on the Duke Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post

Gunnar Kiel
    Zach Kline
    Tanner Mangum
    Chad Voytik ****
    Jake Rodrigues
    Tyler Mathews
    Wes Lund
    Nathan Peterman
    Patrick Towles ****
    Conner Brewer
    Travis Wilson ***
    Bart Houston
    Shane Dillon
    Ford Childress
    Philip Nelson
    Zeke Pike
    Clayton Nicholas
    Tyler O'Connor
    Broken record, reporting for duty.

I have been critical of basketball's RSCI as a sole predictor of college success, but it has numerous advantages that make it quite a bit more robust than any HS football rankings: schoolboy basketball has become, well, "organized." The best players play all over the country via AAU teams, and the very best players represent the US in international tournaments. Therefore, regardless of a scout's eyesight, one gets validation from several sources: a lot of chances to see the better players play each other; college coaches' priorities based on talent and other factors; the opinions of the best AAU coaches, who are no slouches at sizing up kids; and national team coaches, who carefully select only the best (when available) to compete overseas.

Football rankings across the entire US of A? Give me a break! There are only one (or two?) national all-star games and not many inter-state games. So, it's typically a matter of using local all-star designations, measurables (size and speed), and degree of college interest in recruiting. QB in some ways is easier -- 'cuz those guys have the ball out by their lonesome -- and some ways is much harder -- 'cuz HS QBs, being the best athlete on the teams, often are runners as well as passers, play on very different HS offenses, and are recruited by college programs with a variety of offensive schemes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Broken record, reporting for duty.

I have been critical of basketball's RSCI as a sole predictor of college success, but it has numerous advantages that make it quite a bit more robust than any HS football rankings: schoolboy basketball has become, well, "organized." The best players play all over the country via AAU teams, and the very best players represent the US in international tournaments. Therefore, regardless of a scout's eyesight, one gets validation from several sources: a lot of chances to see the better players play each other; college coaches' priorities based on talent and other factors; the opinions of the best AAU coaches, who are no slouches at sizing up kids; and national team coaches, who carefully select only the best (when available) to compete overseas.

Football rankings across the entire US of A? Give me a break! There are only one (or two?) national all-star games and not many inter-state games. So, it's typically a matter of using local all-star designations, measurables (size and speed), and degree of college interest in recruiting. QB in some ways is easier -- 'cuz those guys have the ball out by their lonesome -- and some ways is much harder -- 'cuz HS QBs, being the best athlete on the teams, often are runners as well as passers, play on very different HS offenses, and are recruited by college programs with a variety of offensive schemes.
    Yes, good points all, Sage. It's certainly more of a challenge to identify the most promising football players from High School, even at the QB position. You have guys like John Elway and Peyton Manning, who were 5-star, celebrated recruits and fulfilled their promise, but there are also great QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, who were relatively unknown until late in their college careers.

I trust Cut to choose well, and develop players.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Cone of Silence rules.
    It would be nice to hear a status update on Terrence Alls, but I am not holding my breath.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It would be nice to hear a status update on Terrence Alls, but I am not holding my breath.
    ASSuming Alls and TJ Douglas are still suspended indefinitely? I haven't heard anything else since that announcement was made.

ASSuming Alls and TJ Douglas are still suspended indefinitely? I haven't heard anything else since that announcement was made.
    Cut confirmed in Pinehurst last week that as of that moment, both Alls and Douglas are still suspended ... with no timetable s to when their suspensions lift. I'm sure he'll be asked again Wednesday, when Duke has a press conference to kick off preseason practice.

I should point out that in both cases, Alls and Douglas are on suspension for an internal team matter (that Cut won't mention) ... and not (like a certain player at a nearby school) for being arrested twice in the last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Cut confirmed in Pinehurst last week that as of that moment, both Alls and Douglas are still suspended ... with no timetable s to when their suspensions lift. I'm sure he'll be asked again Wednesday, when Duke has a press conference to kick off preseason practice.

I should point out that in both cases, Alls and Douglas are on suspension for an internal team matter (that Cut won't mention) ... and not (like a certain player at a nearby school) for being arrested twice in the last month.
    I did a little googling, and it was confirmed that no charges were ever filed in the state of NC against Alls and Douglas. It does appear to be an internal matter, and I won't speculate any further. As for Cheater Hill, is anyone surprised? The player no-shows in court after being arrested twice. SMH

If Alls is reinstated, he is a player who can make an impact both as a receiver and on special teams. He is reported to be the fastest receiver on the team. Duke is going to be a strong running team so play action pass plays can catch the secondary cheating resulting in explosive plays. Receivers who can blow by a defensive back looking run first are an important piece of the formula.
    Bob Green

According to Steve Wiseman, Alls and T.J. Douglas will not play in the Tulane game:

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/blog/x...r-himself-Duke

Both players will be allowed to practice with the rest of their teammates this month as the Blue Devils prepare for their Sept. 3 season-opener at Tulane (9:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network). They just won’t play in that game.
    This is the first I've heard of this development.
    Bob Green

According to Steve Wiseman, Alls and T.J. Douglas will not play in the Tulane game:

Gee, a coach that actually takes character seriously. Refreshing.

I am sure both young men will learn from this, and expect them both to come back hungrier and more focused than ever.

When Alls and Douglas were suspended, it was announced that they were suspended for game competition, terminology I'm not sure I had seen before. Since Tulane is the first game after that suspension, it makes sense to hold them out for at least that game, while still allowing them to practice. I do expect them to be re-instated sometime this season but have no idea when.

Sirk? There was talk about having him play some TE at Duke just to get him on the field. That was very early in his career.