Where to go in the South?

A friend of mine in Arizona is making a trip around the South in early May, her first time in the region. She asked me about cities and battle sites worth seeing. I mentioned Savannah, Charleston, Nashville, Asheville and downtown Atlanta. I don't know from battle sites. Any thoughts on destinations that would wow a tourist? I haven't lived down there since Duke days.

Virginia. Also while in northern Virginia, it's not far to cross DC and a little strip of Maryland into Pennsylvania and Gettysburg. I would say you'll find more tourist documented spots of historical reference and importance in Virginia than any other state in the union.

if you are interested in Civil War sites I highly recomend Andersonville in South Georgia. Its a bit of a hike to get there, but it is really well done and incredibly fascinating.

Definitely Charleston: Fort Moultrie and Fort Sumter. There are also many interesting historic homes downtown, including the Russell House, where my mom is a docent.

I think she's hoping to run into at least a bit of antebellum stuff, which is why I put Savannah and Charleston at the top of the list. Andersonville seems like a natural for that leg of the journey. I told her that if she wants to get the true flavor of the South, she has to go to a NASCAR race, but that may be just a bit beyond the pale. Not sure if the itinerary is going to get her all the way up to Northern Virginia, but that area I do know well. When I said I hadn't lived in the South, I'm assuming it begins at Fredericksburg.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    I told her that if she wants to get the true flavor of the South, she has to go to a NASCAR race.
    Very True!!!

Although . . . a Saturday spent in Athens, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Columbia, or Clemson might also provide a sense of the South

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Virginia. Also while in northern Virginia, it's not far to cross DC and a little strip of Maryland into Pennsylvania and Gettysburg. I would say you'll find more tourist documented spots of historical reference and importance in Virginia than any other state in the union.
    ...and remember, Virginia is For Lovers.

Not Just for the Civil War Anymore...

There's plenty of other history and culture to explore there. Revolutionary sites, Yorktown and the peninsula, Williamsburg, Jamestown, the whole tidewater area, plantations and presidential homeplaces, these are all fascinating to tour.
    Richmond, with all the monuments, is living history. Monticello, not very far away, is worthy of a trip on it's own. Ash Lawn and a drive to a recently updated Mount Vernon would be worth the drive.

I promise I'm not the commonwealth's director of travel and tourism. I'm only a connoisseur of fine champagne. Madison county has fines vineyards.

A trip from Atlanta north up the I-85 then I-95 corridors (with some side trips) can include the Revolution and Civil War, neat towns and sites (Stone Mt., Biltmore, NC Mts., Cental VA, Williamsburg, Richmond, DC and all of No. VA. That route can fill all the time available and then some.

The National Historic site at Guilford Courthouse (basically right in Greensboro) is really good. The tours are good, as is the visitors' center, and that was an absolutely pivotal battle during the Revolution.

Auburn Avenue in Atlanta.
    Woolworth's in Greensboro.

Chattanooga

Chattanooga is one of the prettiest cities in the country. Great natural beauty with mountains and the Tennessee River winding through the city. Deepest river gorge east of the Mississippi. Ocoee River Olympic whitewater rafting nearby. Rock climbing, bike riding, hang gliding, hiking, etc. World-class aquarium designed by the same guy who did the Boston and Baltimore ones. Civil war history with nation's first and largest military park (have to drive past worst part of town to get to it). Riverwalk for running or walking along the river. Revitalized downtown. I would recommend St. John's for a great dinner. During the summer, there are free concerts every Friday night. Past acts have included the likes of Bella Fleck, Buddy Guy, Willie Porter, Hugh Masekela, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Charles Brown, Keb Mo, Eric Johnson, etc.

Vicksburg is very Civil Warsey too.

Personally, if I never see another plantation home, it'll be too soon. I've spent all but the last 8 weeks of my life in the South, and for tourism I'd recommend everything but the Civil War and the slave-labor-built buildings first.

Mainly what we have to recommend us is Southern Appalachia.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine