Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marshall (Tri-Captain) is definitely back next year

Are we sure Marshall will be back next year? He will be a 5th year senior, has the military opportunity, and I have seen heard vague hints uncertainty about him returning.
    There is this…

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/even-ke...-pace/14599114

which says that next year’s team will “perhaps” have Marshall next year.

I also remember Coach K speaking about his players’ futures during an interview after the NC (I searched for it today but could not find it). He said he and his staff would sit down with Tyus, Jahil, Justise, and Marshall to discuss their options.

Does anyone have any insight?
    Last edited by Newton_14; 04-23-2015 at 11:02 PM.

First I have heard of it. I have really enjoyed watching him develop and wish him great success if he takes off to pursue other interests.

No inside info, but I suspect you'll get a definite answer very soon since the banquet is tonight, and such a decision would almost certainly be announced.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No inside info, but I suspect you'll get a definite answer very soon since the banquet is tonight, and such a decision would almost certainly be announced.
    If he gives a senior speech we'll know for sure. Personally, I hope he comes back.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

If he is leaving, it would be a last second change of heart. Had this been planned, he likely would have been honored on Senior Night, a la Marty Pocious.

It cerainly wouldn't beunprecedented for a career reserve to forego his last year to pursue other opportunities (see Pocius, Marty). Though it would seem odd to choose starting your military career over an additional year of playing basketball. And of course there is the grad transfer option if he really wanted to secure a starting spot (he would be in a battle for that job at Duke).

I would certainly lean towards him staying, but I won't be shocked either way. Well, I would be shocked if he left to take the military job, but not shocked if he stayed or did the grad transfer thing.
    Last edited by CDu; 04-23-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    If he is leaving, it would be a last second change of heart. Had this been planned, he likely would have been honored on Senior Night, a la Marty Pocious.
    Good point, though winning a National Championship could have been a game-changer. We don't know for sure, but that great accomplishment may have been enough for Tyus to make his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It cerainly wouldn't beunprecedented for a career reserve to forego his last year to pursue other opportunities (see Pocius, Marty)...
    Also Randolph, Shavlik.

It would be really disappointing if Marshall left. Unlike Shav, he's been on a steady climb and next year is one where he should certainly play a big role. He can certainly play the Zoubek role on our squad, I am looking forward to seeing him play that role - he's earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Good point, though winning a National Championship could have been a game-changer. We don't know for sure, but that great accomplishment may have been enough for Tyus to make his decision.
    I still smile when I think of all those Plumlees with a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10_15 View Post
    Thank you, Perky and Leslie!

They're on the all-time Parents' team.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10_15 View Post
    I like the idea of Marshall being the only Plumlee with TWO rings.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I was concerned about this a couple of years ago in advance of Seth's senior season, his 5th in college. Nothing came of it and I do not really remember much speculation about it either. Seth played big minutes and led the team in scoring. Also, Andre sat that season out which provided even more minutes and shots to Seth.

While Marshall could conceivably graduate and transfer elsewhere, I would be pretty surprised if it happens given his brothers' Duke lineage, his improvements the last several years and the minutes freed up in the frontcourt.

I personally think Marshall will play about half the game and be a really good defender for us next season. We have seen stretches of really good play from him and the opportunity is there for him to grab a big role. I would be disappointed if we dont get to see him put it all together and have a really good senior season.

I hope that Tudor's word choice was simply careless.

First, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a Tudor column. He's a great guy and a long-time ACC sports writer, but for all practical purposes, he's retired and no longer close to any of the teams and coaches. Very much doubt that he has any inside info. In know he hasn't been to a Duke game this past season, nor has he attended any Duke press availability with the players.

In Marshall's case, go back and read the stories from about a month ago, when he was commissioned into the U.S. Army -- active in May of 2016. He made it quite clear then that he was returning for his fifth season.

Coach K has announced that Marshall will be a captain next year, along with Amile and Matt. I think that should officially lock up this question.

https://twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/591415233090088960

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Coach K has announced that Marshall will be a captain next year, along with Amile and Matt. I think that should officially lock up this question.

https://twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/591415233090088960
    Not sure - he could mean Marshall will be a captain in the army and Amile and Matt captains of the team.
    Last edited by dukelifer; 04-23-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Glad to hear that Plumlee will be back. Let's hope he follows Miles and Zoubek in going from afterthought reserves to key contributors as seniors!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Though it would seem odd to choose starting your military career over an additional year of playing basketball.
    Why would that be odd?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Not sure - he could mean Marshall will be a captain in the army and Amile and Matt captains of the team.
    That would require him to skip 2LT and LT and that's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    That would require him to skip 2LT and LT and that's not happening.
    Coach K has some pull