Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Banquet

1992 - Hurley's no look pass to a trailing Laettner for a layup early in the 2nd half. It woke Laettner up from whatever was going on in his head during the 1st half.

2001 - Battier had some put backs late in the game and James made a tough reverse layup, but it has to be Battier's block and save on Gardner.

2010 - Scheyer's tip in of a Miles Plumlee miss with the shot clock expiring? Singler's defense (with help from Zoubek) on Hayward in Butler's next to last possession?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Banquet was awesome. [Lot's of good stuff]
    Can't spork you, but thanks for the great write-up.

Banquet was awesome. K was great, Quinn was great. K said the newly created One Shining Moment award was for the top play of all the top plays in the title game. Grayson won it for the attempted steal on Jackson where Jackson ended up fouling Grayson. K described it like this: "Grayson went after that ball maniacally (much applause and laughter) then K looks at Grayson and says "In a good way> It was controlled maniacal", said that "In all my years of doing this, that is the hardest a kid has ever gone after a ball, ever", he then says "Grayson actually saved that ball from going out of bounds despite being fouled by Jackson"... he then says "then Grayson looks at the bench and"... K then yells "Let's GO!!". K says, "then he says it again in case the team didn't hear him the first time.."Let's GO!!"... K said that play shot lightning into the teammates on the floor with Grayson, and into the players on the bench including the two kids in foul trouble, and into his head coach and assistant coaches. Said that everybody did their jobs better after that moment, players and coaches, and that led to all the good things that happened afterwards to secure the win.

K also through mad praise at both Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson. Pointed out that Matt locked down Dekker all night and totally shut Dekker down during the stretch where Grayson went nuts, and as the tweet post above mentioned, K said that during that stretch, Amile tapped Capel on the shoulder and said "Put me in. I can guard Kaminsky" and finally K restated again that Capel suggested they go to the set with the high ball screen out top for Tyus, and the rest was history.
    Thanks for the wonderful recap!

3 Videos from banquet on GoDuke here: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

1. Naming of next year's captains
    2. Handing out of MVP award to Jah and Quinn
    3. Coach K explaining the One Shining Award like you summarized above. "LET'S GO!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    1992 - Hurley's no look pass to a trailing Laettner for a layup early in the 2nd half. It woke Laettner up from whatever was going on in his head during the 1st half.

2001 - Battier had some put backs late in the game and James made a tough reverse layup, but it has to be Battier's block and save on Gardner.

2010 - Scheyer's tip in of a Miles Plumlee miss with the shot clock expiring? Singler's defense (with help from Zoubek) on Hayward in Butler's next to last possession?
    I like the defense on Hayward's shot referenced above but I woudl go with Zoubek - such a great job altering the arc of the shot while avoiding the foul.

Great write-up by Newton. I may follow with some small tid bits later but he basically wrote everything major I was thinking of reporting out.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Do you REALLY think "probably Hurley" takes this award in 92 over THE SHOT or THE PASS???
    Yes, because those didn't take place in the title game.

Does anyone know if Quinn's senior speech is or will be posted anywhere on the web?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Does anyone know if Quinn's senior speech is or will be posted anywhere on the web?
    I'm looking forward to it too. In the past, goduke.com has had the video, but it's taken a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Yes, because those didn't take place in the title game.
    Love the Our House portion of your page. One of the best Indy moments for me was when the Crazies started that chant after the MSU game. I kept waiting for it after the title game ended but didn't hear it - I could have it missed it amidst the euphoria.

Bawlin'

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Some tweets from reporters attending:

Bret Strelow @bretstrelow · 2h2 hours ago

Fans applaud Louisville game and zone use. K jokes we've won four national championships and you think it was the damn zone

Winner of the Best Tweet award.

Banquet was awesome. K was great, Quinn was great. K said the newly created One Shining Moment award was for the top play of all the top plays in the title game. Grayson won it for the attempted steal on Jackson where Jackson ended up fouling Grayson. K described it like this: "Grayson went after that ball maniacally (much applause and laughter) then K looks at Grayson and says "In a good way> It was controlled maniacal", said that "In all my years of doing this, that is the hardest a kid has ever gone after a ball, ever", he then says "Grayson actually saved that ball from going out of bounds despite being fouled by Jackson"... he then says "then Grayson looks at the bench and"... K then yells "Let's GO!!". K says, "then he says it again in case the team didn't hear him the first time.."Let's GO!!"... K said that play shot lightning into the teammates on the floor with Grayson, and into the players on the bench including the two kids in foul trouble, and into his head coach and assistant coaches. Said that everybody did their jobs better after that moment, players and coaches, and that led to all the good things that happened afterwards to secure the win.

K also through mad praise at both Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson. Pointed out that Matt locked down Dekker all night and totally shut Dekker down during the stretch where Grayson went nuts, and as the tweet post above mentioned, K said that during that stretch, Amile tapped Capel on the shoulder and said "Put me in. I can guard Kaminsky" and finally K restated again that Capel suggested they go to the set with the high ball screen out top for Tyus, and the rest was history.

K gave Quinn the highest of compliments and said he was the best Captain and Leader he had ever had. K gave props to Cook's mom as well for helping Quinn become that leader especially after a meeting right after last season ended between K, Cook, and Momma Cook. K laid down the law and told Quinn what was expected of him. As they left the meeting Momma Cook was saying "alright you going to do this and this and this" Pretty cool. Props to Quinn too for sharing during his speech, the lowest moment of his career. It happened in the lockerroom after the Maui semi-final game against Michigan his Freshman season. Quinn said Duke was playing great and every Duke player in the game was playing great and on the bench every player was jumping up and down screaming after every good play except one. There was one player sitting there, head in hands, not cheering at all. "Me". He said "I was young and inmature and highly embarrassed by the fact I was not playing". After the postgame meeting in the lockerroom, K tell Quinn to sit down he isn't leaving. Quinn said "I was like, oh good, I'm going to get my PT in tomorrow's game". K says that have some game clips to show him. Quinn said "I was like, Clips? but I didn't get in the game". Said it was clips of the kid not cheering. Very stern heart to heart and Capel tells him he should be embarrassed and should take that Duke shirt off and go home. Quinn then talked about how that meeting turned him around and got him pointed in the right direction. Thanked the coaches for that lesson in life. Really cool story. TO go from that moment to being told tonight he was the best Captain and Leader ever at Duke is phenomenal.

Awards that I can remember off the top of my head:
    Team MVP: CO: Quinn Cook/Jahlil Okafor
    Best Defender: Justise Winslow
    FT Percentage: Tie: Quinn/Tyus Jones
    Top Academic: Amile Jefferson
    Top Rebounder: Jahlil Okafor
    FG Percentage: Jahlil Okafor
    One Shining Moment Award: Grayson Allen

Matt won an award for something akin to top team player, in essence being the consummate team player and doing all the important little things that go unnoticed but are key to wins.
    Marshall won an award for being the guy who played with heart and energy, and giving his teammates an emotional lift every time he came in.

K named the captains for next season, they are Amile Jefferson, Matt Jones, Marshall Plumlee.

K also singled out the parents for this season's teams thanking them for being so supportive in home games, away games, tourney games, and how they helped take the family togetherness of this team to a higher level.

3 new banners, 1 for Final Season Ranking of #1, 1 for the Final Four, and lastly the Natty Banner which was unveiled at the end of the night. It was on stage. The raising to its final resting place will likely happen at CTC this fall like last time in 2010.

A great evening. Well worth going.
    Bawlin' my eyes out after reading that, thanks, Newt.

What song was Quinn's senior video set to?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I'm looking forward to it too. In the past, goduke.com has had the video, but it's taken a few days.
    Don't know but I expect it to make it to the net - Quinn nstarted by pointing out how he wote it on the iphone and the Sean Kelly was outdated using paper.

A coouple of other Quinn speech tid bits (sorry if any duplicate Newtown's)

He revealed the team had come together as early as last year's tournament and that they group chatted last year's title game (after which Tyus tweeted he and Quinn were the next incarnation of U Conn guards).

Justise tweeted him to just tell him everything he needed to make him better.

Quinn stayed summer session (first part anyway).

Quinn ended his speech talking to Coach K and said - after starting and pausing like 4 times - you have been more than I could have imagined - you have been my father (this was arguagly the most powerful moment of the night - I know I got teary)

Some color from Coach K on Quinn - "you were as good a leader as I have ever had - you were so much more than I expected"

Quinn called the team banner hunteres and gathered them all together at CTC to point at the place where their banner was gong to go. They used the banner hunter phrase at every meeting.

While Duke teams are normally low key after a big win (been there before) Quinn was totally nuts after the Wisconsin game. When he calmed he gathered the team together and yelled "family" - which was a mottoe throughout the season (and palpable all last night. Sean Kellly noted that they would stay in the locker room for an hour after practice becuase they just liked being together so much)

K also said this team had a rare "no jealousy zone" that he credited Quinn for Coach K went out of his way to say how "fun" the year was.

The current between K and Quinn all night was really special.

Coach K even joked he'd get behind Quinn and Justise as the team was running out and yell boo tp get their hear to stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I kept waiting for it after the title game ended but didn't hear it - I could have it missed it amidst the euphoria.
    I remember it after the championship game but not after beating MSU. That may have been the vodka I smuggled in talking or not talking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I remember it after the championship game but not after beating MSU. That may have been the vodka I smuggled in talking or not talking, though.
    It must have been both then - alcoholic enhanced euphoria is a good reason for us each to have missed it once

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Do you REALLY think "probably Hurley" takes this award in 92 over THE SHOT or THE PASS??? In my mind, Hurley gets the award in 1991 (as K said at the banquet last night) for hitting the most important 3 point shot EVER for this university. Down 5 to UNLV, Hurley calmly hits a three that brings us within 2. That was ONE SHINING MOMENT.
    I think the idea is that "one shining moment" award was not a basketball play, but something else...or at least that's what I inferred from K's words.
    April 1

Some artwork for the thread

Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think the idea is that "one shining moment" award was not a basketball play, but something else...or at least that's what I inferred from K's words.
    The thing that i lliked about it the most was the I believe K said he was only going to give it out during championship years and he iimplied a clear expectation that he would be giving it out again (hopefully multiple times).

I don't know if it was mentoned earlier but this was an interesting curveball. Every member of the 8 -- except Grayson - had won an award. As that section of the event apparently finished - I had a sour feeling of how could they not give Grayson something. Then K gives him this new one and really makes it the non-Quinn highlight of the night.

Separately - I totally loved the event - but left wondering if it needs to evolve some in the OAD era. Jah/Tyus and Justise were cameo actors - especially Justise - which just didnt seem right to me when you consider their contributions to the team. While Grayson's moment clearly was the turniing point in the title game - we wouldnt have been there for it without comparable moments from those guys earlier.

This is definitely something I could see argued both ways - but at least to me - I think the event needs to evolve with the nature of the team K is recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Well, maybe it depends on how you define "basketball play," because the starting point of the shining moment K described was going for the loose ball, getting to it first, saving it and drawing the foul. So, it sounded like it would be a hustle/desire play rather than a scoring play. But I don't think it was just about shouting "Let's go!"

I can't watch til later so can't confirm but I think the entire banquet is up on GoDuke now. Link: http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=3982993

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I can't watch til later so can't confirm but I think the entire banquet is up on GoDuke now. Link: http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=3982993
    For those asking, Quinn's speech in the linked video starts at the 57:30 mark, and his Senior Video starts at the 70:25 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    For those asking, Quinn's speech in the linked video starts at the 57:30 mark, and his Senior Video starts at the 70:25 mark.
    Nice speech by Quinn. The kid grew up so much in his four years. He was challenged and got better. K weaved his magic yet again to get the most out of a player.