Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't know. Visiting Idiot's Central, their reaction to the news is that this guarantees that they get Dennis Smith next year. Most of those morons are celebrating because, like, you know, nobody ever won anything by playing two point guards together.
    They are idiots over there considering that Carolina will have 2 PGs (unless Britt or Berry leaves early for the NBA) on the roster by the time Dennis Smith is eligible to play; whereas, Duke would only have 1 PG on the roster (assuming that DT isn't a one and a done). I welcome enlightenment about this from anyone; but I just don't see how Carolina would be in a better situation than Duke to land Dennis Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I know what you are saying, because it does come across a little selfish that a team persuaded a kid to leave school early so they wouldn't have a hole in their lineup.
    This is like Kate Upton persuading me to be her boyfriend.

I'm guessing Duke didn't exactly have to twist his arm here.

"Hey, you want to come start at PG for the defending national champs and get coached by the best living basketball coach in the world? We'll throw in a top rate education and a chance to be on national TV for virtually every game you ever play!"

Um... where do I sign up?

Yes, yes. I know there's no guarantee he's going to start next year. But the spot is certainly there for the taking.

Welcome Derryck! How many times next year will we hear "there's an assist from Derryck to Jeter? Many, I hope! Let's Go DUKE!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Great get for Duke! I am temperring my epextations a little based on the posts on this board. On the other hand, the addition of a "pure" point guard helps everyone on the team. This is a great addition for the team.

Plumlee and Jefferson, in particular, are really going to benefit from having someone that can pass them the ball. Jefferson has had some success with the pick-and-roll. Tyus would often shoot or create his own shot off of ball screens. If Thornton can create good looks for the front court, that will open things up a little for the perimeter shooters.

Speaking of shooters, having a pure point guard also helps Matt Jones. He's a proven to be a decent-to-good set shooter. Having another ballhandler also helps Allen take on the role of attacking scoring guard.

If only we didn't have to wait 7 months to see this team play!

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Based on DT's comments, its sounds like the coaching staff wanted him over ennis. I doubt we bring in both.
    Since we're all in on OAD point guards now I wouldn't mind having a 4-yr reserve PG recruit sort of like we have with Vrankovic in the post. If Ainge would accept a scholly under those terms I think it would make a lot of sense to have another ball handler in case of injury

Besides if he develops a shooting touch and pouty face like pop he'll be the most hated player since JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    If only we didn't have to wait 7 months to see this team play!
    No overseas games in August this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Since we're all in on OAD point guards now I wouldn't mind having a 4-yr reserve PG recruit sort of like we have with Vrankovic in the post. If Ainge would accept a scholly under those terms I think it would make a lot of sense to have another ball handler in case of injury

Besides if he develops a shooting touch and pouty face like pop he'll be the most hated player since JJ.
    If Danny Ainge's kid became a rotation player at Duke he might become the most hated player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    They are idiots over there considering that Carolina will have 2 PGs (unless Britt or Berry leaves early for the NBA) on the roster by the time Dennis Smith is eligible to play; whereas, Duke would only have 1 PG on the roster (assuming that DT isn't a one and a done). I welcome enlightenment about this from anyone; but I just don't see how Carolina would be in a better situation than Duke to land Dennis Smith.
    To be fair, one of those point guards is Nate Britt, who isn't getting Dennis Smith's way.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Good opportunity to say once again how remarkable Tyus Jones's maturity was as a freshman this past year. I trusted him with the ball in his hands from day one. His demeanor in interviews was astonishingly mature. He was like an old man in an 18 year old body. I wish him the best AND I look forward to watching Thornton develop next year and beyond.
    I believe I read in a different thread that Tyus and Jah (among others) were hosting DT when he visited recently. That clearly means they are still engaged in the program and want to be part of Duke success going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Welcome Derryck! How many times next year will we hear "there's an assist from Derryck to Jeter? Many, I hope! Let's Go DUKE!
    Maybe K will again invite the original Derek Jeter back to Cameron for another game. Imagine the Crazie meltdown!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    To be fair, one of those point guards is Nate Britt, who isn't getting Dennis Smith's way.
    Never underestimate the power or Roy and his upperclassmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    UNC will still have a junior Joel Berry and a senior Nate Britt. So Smith would already face a packed back court at UNC.
    One or both might end up in the tread of the tires of ol' roy's bus by then.

So since I'm left handed I tend to notice these things. We all know Kennard is a southpaw but from Vid I've seen Thornton appears to be as well. Man if Winslow was staying that would have been a nightmare for other teams to guard. Do we have any other left handed players.. I can't remember if Matt Jones is.. I may just be thinking of him because he has a unique shot..😎

Matt Jones is right-handed.

This is a great get for Coach K, Coach Scheyer, the team, and the university. Welcome, Mr. Thornton! We are very happy to have you.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Ok thanks. Like I said was thinking about his shot and thought maybe for a sec he was.

So since I'm left handed I tend to notice these things. We all know Kennard is a southpaw but from Vid I've seen Thornton appears to be as well. Man if Winslow was staying that would have been a nightmare for other teams to guard. Do we have any other left handed players.. I can't remember if Matt Jones is.. I may just be thinking of him because he has a unique shot..😎
    I 'm not sure if I should be excited that coach K has finally shown that he can recruit left handed point guards, or if I should be disappointed that the staff has not been able to successfully recruit any right handed guards in over a year.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    And Roy could choose not to give Britt a scholarship the year Smith comes in. Ole Roy will make room for Smith if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I 'm not sure if I should be excited that coach K has finally shown that he can recruit left handed point guards, or if I should be disappointed that the staff has not been able to successfully recruit any right handed guards in over a year.
    Derryck was a righty, the staff has asked him to reclassify as a lefty.

We all know Kennard is a southpaw...
    He's fully amphibious.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Luke is ambidextrous. He was the offensive football player of the year [Jr year, 2013] in his division as a right-handed QB.
    Luke does shoot his 3-bombs, jumpers, FTs with left hand, but going to the basket he uses both hands equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    He's fully amphibious.

Luke does shoot his 3-bombs, jumpers, FTs with left hand, but going to the basket he uses both hands equally well.
    My bad I just assumed from the videos of him shooting that he was left handed