Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Nah, I got the point and was just too harsh. My apologies. What I meant to say was that Thornton's athleticism videos are out there, but you don't need scary athleticism or leaping ability to play point guard. Witness Tyus and Quinn.

Sorry JNort. Owe you a beer.
    The athleticism I've seen so far from Thornton, and hope to see as he develops, involves quickness and lateral movement. That, along with good length, seem to give him important tools to be an excellent defender, and further strength training should help also.

Jump out of the gym type athleticism? No, probably not a Westbrook or (a healthy) Derrick Rose.

Seems pretty athletic to me https://youtu.be/5OfsyquwXZQ

Quote Originally Posted by tylervinyard View Post
    Kid is effectively bolted to to floor. Too bad- hopefully Coach K can boost his athleticism as he did for Grayson who was similarly statue like in high school.

Oh no...he is wearing number 5. I hope he changes numbers otherwise he will be hit with multiple Ts before he even plays his first game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Kid is effectively bolted to to floor. Too bad- hopefully Coach K can boost his athleticism as he did for Grayson who was similarly statue like in high school.

I gotta get me some new bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Nah, I got the point and was just too harsh. My apologies. What I meant to say was that Thornton's athleticism videos are out there, but you don't need scary athleticism or leaping ability to play point guard. Witness Tyus and Quinn.

Sorry JNort. Owe you a beer.
    I wasn't trying to say anything about his ability to play point. Just that most seem to say his strengths are attacking on offense and his athleticism and i just don't think he is an elite athlete ala Justice and Grayson. Haven't even seen him catch an oop yet in the 3 videos I've seen. I like him though, if he can become a respectable shooter from behind the arc then watch out!

Maybe it has somthing to do with his size, guess I'm not accounting for it. Kyrie and Austin both had better ups in their videos when they came out but I think they might have just been bigger making it easier to throw it down
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

He reminds me of a slightly less athletic Jwill... He seems to have a solid build.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I wasn't trying to say anything about his ability to play point. Just that most seem to say his strengths are attacking on offense and his athleticism and i just don't think he is an elite athlete ala Justice and Grayson. Haven't even seen him catch an oop yet in the 3 videos I've seen. I like him though, if he can become a respectable shooter from behind the arc then watch out!

Maybe it has somthing to do with his size, guess I'm not accounting for it. Kyrie and Austin both had better ups in their videos when they came out but I think they might have just been bigger making it easier to throw it down
    How many "oops" did we see from Amaker, Hurley, Duhon, Scheyer or T. Jones?

On a check-list of things one wants from a point guard, I suspect being on the receiving end of a lob for a dunk would not be near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The athleticism I've seen so far from Thornton, and hope to see as he develops, involves quickness and lateral movement. That, along with good length, seem to give him important tools to be an excellent defender, and further strength training should help also.

Jump out of the gym type athleticism? No, probably not a Westbrook or (a healthy) Derrick Rose.

i wish i was that unathletic!! i watched vrankovic's tape too. i like this kid. am i too far off comparing him to mitch mcgary??

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    i wish i was that unathletic!! i watched vrankovic's tape too. i like this kid. am i too far off comparing him to mitch mcgary??
    Only if you consider comparing Chris Collins to Michael Jordan being far off...

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

On a check-list of things one wants from a point guard, I suspect being on the receiving end of a lob for a dunk would not be near the top.
    None... which is my point. Not sure what you are saying. You post just kinda agreed with me

I think Roy is one of the only posters who got what I was saying and answered my question at the same time. I just now saw his comment and I totally agree
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

None... which is my point. Not sure what you are saying. You post just kinda agreed with me

I think Roy is one of the only posters who got what I was saying and answered my question at the same time. I just now saw his comment and I totally agree
    What part of this am I misunderstanding? "I just don't think he is an elite athlete ala Justice [sic] and Grayson. Haven't even seen him catch an oop yet in the 3 videos I've seen."

Why would you want to see him "catch an oop?" Why mention it as an implied flaw if you don't think it's important?

Was Tommy Amaker not an elite athlete? Duke didn't start tracking dunks until 1986 but in 1986 and 1987 Amaker had zero dunks. Bobby Hurley was as quick as a cat and he had never had a dunk. I don't care if my point guard can catch an oop. I'd much rather he be able to throw one. And I'm sure not going to compare a 6-1 point guard's ability to dunk to that of a 6-6 combo forward. Apples and oranges.

That's your judge of athleticism? Whether he his throwing down oops in a highlight video? Ok, but there's more to athleticism than just the ability to jump high enough to throw down alley oops. His speed, quickness, and agility are at a high level. Changing of direction and changing of speed effortlessly and fluidly is also a good indicator of athleticism and Thornton seems to have that ability. Also range of motion and flexibility are good indicators of athleticism. From what I've seen Thornton is a pretty athletic point guard.

And actually that was the criticism of Kyrie Irving both coming out of high school and when he was entering the draft, that he didn't throw down enough dunks and was not athletic enough like Derrick Rose or John Wall. That was one of the reasons why a lot of people, a lot of Cavs fans, didn't think he was #1 pick worthy and that Derrick Williams or Kemba Walker would be better choices. Kyrie still doesn't dunk much but nobody questions his athleticism, his quickness and agility are elite.

Andre Dawkins could throw down some nasty dunks, go look at his high school highlight tapes. But other than the ability to jump high Andre wasn't a great athlete even on the college level. To me, Rasheed was a much better athlete than Andre even though Andre had better leaping ability.
    Last edited by mo.st.dukie; 04-26-2015 at 12:35 AM.

I agree with RW, also. Thornton appeared very quick and fast to me on the videos---very fast. He seems to be able to go laterally very quickly, then, when he has the defender off balance, he explodes toward the basket in the opposite direction.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I recall at least 1 alley-oop thrown down by Duhon... It might've been in an open practice or exhibition game though.

Is that Chase Jeter whose chest he takes it right into for the score just after the one minute mark?

I like Thornton's game. Not afraid to attack the basket, even against the big guys, and finish through contact. Good handle. Has that all important floater. Nice step back move. Quick change of direction. Nice mid-range game. I like the hesitation move, too. From the stats, he needs more consistency on his jump shot, but I like what I see so far. Looking forward to watching him grow and improve while wearing the Duke Blue & White.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

In the videos in which he never misses or makes a mistake- he can be compared to the best centers on the planet. He is solid and should get much better in time. Mcgary was much more developed as a player coming out of high school- I think ranked in the top 5 - but they do resemble each other in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Oh no...he is wearing number 5. I hope he changes numbers otherwise he will be hit with multiple Ts before he even plays his first game.
    We had another pretty good #5 this year who was the Final Four MOP! I kinda like whoever is wearing #5 right now!

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    That was one of the reasons why a lot of people, a lot of Cavs fans, didn't think he was #1 pick worthy and that Derrick Williams or Kemba Walker would be better choices.
    Kemba Walker? I wasn't in Cleveland but I don't remember anybody touting Kemba for #1 in the 2011 draft. Or even top 5.