Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Welcome to Duke Derryck Thornton!!!!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...pg-next-season

Verbal commit. Pending SAT scores/reclassification.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Welcome, indeed to Duke, Derryck Thornton. Go, Derryck -- go Duke!!

Sage
    'You will be the unsung hero of many posts from the spelling constabulary'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Great decision Derryck Welcome to the land of champions! Excited for next year! 😄😄
    Last edited by dukebluesincebirth; 04-21-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Typing too excitedly

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Awesome. Hope the academic part works out. Wonder if this--i.e., a good point guard--is the domino Duke needed for Brandon Ingram (I hope so).

Boom

Add Ingram and it's the #1 recuiting class by far.

Also, we're returning a solid core of players (especially on defense) so my expectations just went through the roof.

That escalated quickly! Welcome aboard.

Such great news - hopefully two birds with one stone

The age of miracles
    The age of sound
    Well there's a (3rd K) Golden Age
    Comin' round, comin' round, comin' round

Do not go gentle into that good night, Coach!

Adam Rowe ‏@BlueDevilLair
    Strong work by @JonScheyer landing the commitment from Derryck Thornton.

Welcome, Derryck. Your game is sure to be appreciated, your persona/character is sure to be celebrated and your name is sure to be misspelled by the many academicians here on DBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The age of miracles
    The age of sound
    Well there's a (3rd K) Golden Age
    Comin' round, comin' round, comin' round

Do not go gentle into that good night, Coach!

The K/Capel machine keeps on chugging!!!!!!!!!
    Yes. Arguably keeping Capel on staff has been the most important development this recruiting season.

Well that is a pleasant way to head into the Ingram in-home tonight!

The roster for next year just got a lot brighter!

A backcourt/wing rotation of Thornton, Allen, Kennard, and Jones with a frontcourt of Jefferson, Jeter, Obi, Plumlee and Vrankovic doesn't sound too bad. Nor does the possibility of adding another elite wing to the mix (fingers crossed!).

We'll look very different next year, but the coaches appear to be putting together quite the team even with the losses of four incredibly important players.

This is fantastic news!

This is a great get. I was in the camp who was a little suspect about the PG abilities of Kennard and Grayson.

Now, we have a true PG. I didn't know about him, so I used my wonderful Insider account to learn a little more. In conclusion, he is the opposite of Tyus Jones:

Strengths: really good scorer at the rim and in mid-range, can finish above the rim, really good athleticism and length for defense
    Weaknesses: needs work beyond the arc, sometimes forgets to include teammates when on his scoring tears
    Bottomline: tremendous upside
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

'You will be the unsung hero of many posts from the spelling constabulary'
    Derik, Derrick, Derick, Thorton, Thurston, Thonten...Ahhh..the possibilities are endless. Hell, someone will probably call him Greg for old time's sake.
    Welcome to Duke.

(Hopefully the thread title is at least corrected soon.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes. Arguably keeping Capel on staff has been the most important development this recruiting season.
    MC - I edited my just earlier post with Airowe's tweet about Scheyer being the point man in the recruitment - wanted to give credit where it was due. Maybe Capel will close Ingram!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    According to 247, Scheyer was the main recruiter on Thornton.

http://247sports.com/Player/Derryck-Thornton-21542

Great news ... I think Duke HAD to get Thornton, Murray or Ennis to be a top 10-type team next year. I think Kennard/Matt Jones will be fine as part-time backup PGs, but I would have hated for that to be our only PG option.

Add Ingram Monday and the Devils are a legit national title contender -- again! -- going into next season. I'll take our roster (with Thornton and Ingram) over UNC's beteran -- but limited -- group or Virginia's haul. I like it a LOT better than what Kentucky has at the moment (although they will add something ... will it be enough?).

I'm sure Thornton's decision eliminates Murray as an option (he was an extreme longshot anyway).

I'd still like to add Ennis, just to add depth and a more mature option at the point, but this probably makes it less likely for a guy who wants to showcase his PG skills in his one final college season.

That's okay -- adding Ennis is now icing on the cake. Getting Thornton was the big thing.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Derik, Derrick, Derick, Thorton, Thurston, Thonten...Ahhh..the possibilities are endless. Hell, someone will probably call him Greg for old time's sake.
    Welcome to Duke.

(Hopefully the thread title is at least corrected soon.)
    As requested, with my own addendum.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup wherever podcasts are given away for free!

Unbelievable. We already got the spelling wrong in the thread title.

The spelling police are already on high alert for this ThorNton. And Tyler was a whole heap easier to remember/spell than Derryck.

All that aside, this is fabulous news. One to go.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

The spelling police are already on high alert for this ThorNton. And Tyler was a whole heap easier to remember/spell than Derryck.

All that aside, this is fabulous news. One to go.
    Yeah, not a good start. And Thornton is an easy one. 1) We had a Thornton for 4 of the 5 past years, 2) Thorton is not a popular name; Thornton is!

Derryck is a little more obscure in terms of spelling, so we should tread lightly on this spelling for the next few months.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well that is a pleasant way to head into the Ingram in-home tonight!

The timing could not have been better; and when it is Coach K, I don't believe in coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

We really need to have a zero tolerance policy this time. Spelling Derryck's name as "Thorton" should come with an automatic 24-hour ban from the boards. I am not a crackpot.