Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ex Machina (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As an aside, I saw a screening of Ex Machina a week ago and was wowed by it. Anyone want a full review?
    I really want to see Ex Machina... looks fantastic.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-20-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I really want to see Ex Machina... looks fantastic.
    Some of the best acting you will see anywhere. The movie is critically dependent on the actors because so much of it just people talking to each other. There's no "action" and though there are effects (to make the android look real), this is not an effects driven movie. What's more, the entire thing takes place in a reclusive home/laboratory which is very sparsely decorated so the sets tend to be pretty basic (though there are some nice somewhat futuristic set design things going on).

the three main characters dominate the film and I would say 2 of the 3 of them are on screen together for at least 95% of the movie. I am trying to recall if anyone other than these three (inventor, AI android, man testing the invention) speak a single line. There is a helicopter pilot who has one line at the beginning of the flick and I think that is it.

This is a remarkably thoughtful sci-fi flick. It will keep you guessing about what is really going on right up until the very end. I strongly suggest you see it... and then lets chat about it here!

-Jason "Oscar Issac better get some award recognition for his work... he's creepy and brilliant and amazing in this flick!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-20-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

By the way, Ex Machina is 88% on Rotten Tomatoes, has a 77 metacritic score, and garnered a strong 8.0 rating (out of 10) from almost 10,000 voters on IMDB. Once it gets to 25,000 IMDB votes it will be eligible for consideration in the IMDB Top 250 films of all time and seems like it will have a real shot at inclusion.

So, ummm, yeah... you should go see it ASAP.

-Jason "best movie I have seen thus far this year... though that ain't saying much" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Just saw "Ex Machina" and loved it. The acting is phenomenal as are the special effects.

Check out the editorial in the NY Times today too!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/op...f=opinion&_r=0

I saw Ex Machina on Sunday. It is the opposite of the main summer sci-fi movies in the sense that most of the action is between the ears of the entities involved. Literally it is a thought-full movie.

So, when can we start the discussion thread with spoilers?

I liked it too. Not sure if this is supposed to be a spoiler thread, so tags:

Spoiler!

We're going to go see it on Saturday evening.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I liked it too. Not sure if this is supposed to be a spoiler thread, so tags:

Spoiler!
    My replies are also in spoiler text:

Spoiler!

Great flick!! I'm so glad audiences are finding it. It did a phenomenal $5.3 mil in boxoffice over the weekend, a really great number for a film from a tiny studio with a tiny marketing budget. I hope it continues to do well. Folks who go to the theater this weekend and find Avengers 2 sold out would be wise to pick Ex Machina as a backup rather than seeing Fast 7 or Paul Blart 2.

-Jason "it has a 90% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and 90% approval from Flixter users... so both critics and common folks love this flick" Evans

A couple of comments about Ava.

Spoiler!

If they choose to make a sequel, they could set it in Mexico and call it Dos Ex Machina.

I made a rare trek to the theater to watch this film. I was quick to predict some of the twists, but I think the point of the film was move past those twists and into some deep philosophical thoughts about artificial intelligence. It's remarkable how this film covers much of the same subject matter as the Kubrick/Spielberg A.I. film but is so completely different.

Reading the spoilers in this thread, I feel closer to certain that the film...
    Spoiler!

Some thoughts for now. It's all still kind of a jumble.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

By the way, not discussed but pretty fascinating to think about is the notion that you could build and program artificial human intelligence by inputting the search habits of billions of people. It is a pretty cool concept. Tracking what we search and what we click on following each search is a pretty amazing way of teaching human habits and thought patterns. Very cool idea!

-Jason "so glad more folks are seeing this flick and we have a robust conversation going -- this flick is worth it!" Evans

I guess, then, that Ava seems like an advanced model out of place because
    Spoiler!

The company name, Bluebook, could be written off as a legit sounding combo of Bluetooth and Facebook, but I wonder if there's some subtle joke there about the value of user input, given how we currently use the term "Blue Book" to describe aftermarket value.

I'm in agreement with the others that this is a movie worth seeing. Also agree that the acting is excellent. Certainly, as Jason E. notes, Oscar Isaac's performance is worthy of recognition. The kid, Domhnall Gleeson, is perfect as the brilliant naïf and Alicia Vikander is a beauty, even though covered by the special effects costuming. Her real skill, though, was translating her android character into a human one--she carried that out very ably.

As with all sci fi movies, there are places where holes can be poked in the storyline. But no matter here, as they are not germane to the point, which is the ethical dilemma posed by artificial intelligence. Definitely a subject worth examining. As for the kid's razor test to see if he's really human...meh, not credible. He knows what he is.

I do have one question, though, mostly due to the film's warning that it contains "graphic nudity." I'm not sure what to make of the "graphic" adjective. Sure, there's frontal nudity in the film, but it is mannequin-like, even though they are real actresses. These are not close-ups and are undoubtedly arty. As far as lead actress Vikander is concerned, I only recall a tasteful back view.

So why the "graphic" limitation? Surely the female nude can be an art form, as here, without being confused with some sort of gritty close-up. Is our society becoming overly protective? Heck, 2014's Wild had a brief look at male frontal nudity and the description did not use "graphic" to describe it. Plus, does anyone really care? An R-rated warning for a movie is for adults who should be able to deal with all sorts of adult themes.

I'm just puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If they choose to make a sequel, they could set it in Mexico and call it Dos Ex Machina.
    I love your pun twice. Not only for the Mexican beer reference but because of the Deus ex machina connection. The ending of this film is most certainly an application of the cinematic definition.

Well spun (as it were).

Saw it last weekend. Didn't really care for it. Which surprised me. But he did create the ultimate AI, the machine turned on him and willfully killed him.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Saw it last weekend. Didn't really care for it. Which surprised me. But he did create the ultimate AI, the machine turned on him and willfully killed him.
    Let's face it-- if science fiction has taught us anything, it's that creating AI never ends well.

For the creators.

This one is all spoilers (maybe mods should change headline to include that...)

Why I Loved the Ending: Because it was great symmetry. At the beginning, Caleb is in charge of Ava's fate. At the end she is in charge of his. She is shown to take on the traits of her father, Nathan (selfish and uncompromising). She proves her AI status by caring only about herself. You realize that as awful as Nathan was in the end he was honest with Caleb about what was going on between him and Ava.

Why I Hated The Ending: Because she should have let him out. Because Caleb saved her and she still abandoned him. Because she would have died without Caleb and that meant nothing to her. Because really she was using him the entire time. Because what this movie was really about -truly- was an analysis of what it means to be human: to possess humanity. And it's conclusion is that to truly be human means you must be capable of committing great harm on others for your own gain.

That last sentence is why I loved the movie - even while hating it.

Finally saw this - Redbox DVD rental, I have grown to dislike the theater experience - and loved it.

I'd like to chime in on a few things:

Spoiler!

But what a great, mind-blowing film. Amazing that they shot it in 6 weeks (4 @ Pinewood, 2 in Norway).

Just getting around to watching it, free with Amazon Prime. I'm kinda creeped out by it. And my Aunt's name is Kyoko.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Just getting around to watching it, free with Amazon Prime. I'm kinda creeped out by it. And my Aunt's name is Kyoko.
    I'm just glad you brought this thread back to the fore. Fun to re-read it. What a fabulous film, better than anything we have had thus far this year (including Hell or High Water).

I wanted to briefly reflect on how many of us felt this was an awards caliber film. It did end up winning an Oscar, for Visual Effects. It also got an Original Screenplay nomination, though it lost to Spotlight. Alicia Vikander got a Golden Globe nomination for supporting actress, though there was little recognition of Oscar Issac's acting, which many of us felt was the strongest of anyone in the film. It got a slew of smaller awards from various film critic associations and it cleaned up in many of the SciFi awards.

-Jason "first-time writer/director Alex Garland is currently working on a film version of the sci-fi book Annihilation with Natalie Portman to star. It will be released next year... I can't wait!" Evans