Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    More Game 2s tonight.

Can the Duke Blue Clippers overcome the Spurs' bounce-back, slightly angry due to Game 1 beatdown, Popovich-adjustments performance tonight? Can't wait to find out. Going up 2-0 would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Possibly insane idea for the playoffs that I thought of last night......
    What if they seeded the 16 teams and then played a "one-and-done" tournament like the NCAA tournament, and played it all the to a winner, and then......did it AGAIN. Seven times. And then crown as champion whichever team won the tournament the most times.
    Obviously if one team were to win it 4 times in a row, the playoffs would be over, or as soon as one team won it 4 times, it'd be over. If two teams won it 3 times apiece, they would play ONE GAME to decide the champion.
    I know, it's ridiculous. But I still kind of like the idea.
    Not bad! You'd probably have to have some kind of point system. I'd be in favor of some kind of alternate format based on the current inbalance between the conferences and the current snore of a first round. Maybe things will pick up once we shift to the other team's home courts.

I am easing in and finally saw a bunch of a game last night - Cavs v Celtics. The Cavs are looking better and better. Obviously, rotations shift with match-ups but the Celtics lack of a big makes Mozgov look enormous and I thought he was really hurting the Celtics. To Brad Stevens' credit, he went small and basically forced the Cavs to adjust, but they can play small, too. Kyrie has looked really good these first 2 games.

The assumed Cavs/Bulls second round series was dealt a big blow with Mirotic's leg injury. The Bulls and their injuries...it's like some kind of karmic payback for the glory of the Jordan/Pippen/Jackson years. Still, though, Bulls and Cavs should be a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    That was also an inexplicable coaching decision to bring a cold Daniel Ewing - not a lockdown defender by any means in the NBA - off the bench for that crucial possession. Ewing played a total of 21 seconds in that game and hadn't seen action since the end of the 1st half when he was subbed in for the last possession of overtime. He didn't execute, but he was not put in an optimal position to execute.
    I thought about brining up that team, but didn't really want to get into the most memorable moment of Ewing's pro career. Sigh.

JJ had a great look at a transition 3 to tie it with under 30 secs left in OT...in and out. Spurs tie the series. Spurs were in control but their hack-a-Jordan kind of ruined their flow and they would have given the game away had Blake Griffin not made a ton of bad turnovers. Great series, too bad I am writing this during the immediate postgame at 1:45am!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    More Game 2s tonight.

Can the Duke Blue Clippers overcome the Spurs' bounce-back, slightly angry due to Game 1 beatdown, Popovich-adjustments performance tonight? Can't wait to find out. Going up 2-0 would be huge.
    Sigh. Spurs win in OT. First amazing game of the playoffs, though.

JJ needs to hit his open shots. He's been one of the weak links for the Clips in these first two games while Paul and Griffin have been incredible. I hope JJ recovers his hot shooting from recent weeks.

Sigh. Spurs win in OT. First amazing game of the playoffs, though.

JJ needs to hit his open shots. He's been one of the weak links for the Clips in these first two games while Paul and Griffin have been incredible. I hope JJ recovers his hot shooting from recent weeks.
    Truth on both statements. JJ hasn't been great but he has Kawhi on him for a lot of OT and even though he missed that open look in OT it was really Blake's fault that the Clips lost that game. Horrible dribbling move with 10 seconds to go to lose the ball then the Spurs tied it up. He fumbled the ball in OT as well that cost them the game. Still had a triple double though.

Tim Duncan. Just wow. 45 min played and just balled out. We've talked about how great he is for years now but I think as the years roll by we will appreciate his game even more. He's about to turn 39 and at times he is still one of if not the best PF in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey21 View Post
    Truth on both statements. JJ hasn't been great but he has Kawhi on him for a lot of OT and even though he missed that open look in OT it was really Blake's fault that the Clips lost that game. Horrible dribbling move with 10 seconds to go to lose the ball then the Spurs tied it up. He fumbled the ball in OT as well that cost them the game. Still had a triple double though.

Tim Duncan. Just wow. 45 min played and just balled out. We've talked about how great he is for years now but I think as the years roll by we will appreciate his game even more. He's about to turn 39 and at times he is still one of if not the best PF in the game.
    Agree that JJ hasn't been great, but I thought he was pretty clutch down the stretch. He made that epic 3 with Kawhi in his face to tie the game and made a big steal. And, sadly, Blake's game will not be remembered for his triple double but rather his turnovers down the stretch - 2 flat out drops and bobbles and one charge. Those were all HUGE plays. Patty Mills hit some crazy shots, and Timmy was Timmy. That game will come back to haunt the Clips - I don't see them winning the series now, but maybe I am suffering from classic most-recent-game-NBA-playoff-bias.

On a side note, Austin got some serious minutes and had a nice drive. Still, though, he is such a target for mockery. I think we've gotten to the point where his early play with the Pelicans and the fact that his father had to basically intervene to keep the Celtics from acquiring him sending him to the D-League have set up this narrative that he is the worst player in the NBA. He is not as bad as people say he is. It will be a hard rep to shed.

Barkley made a good point. This series is about to be played every other day, and it's been so intense and will continue to be intense until its conclusion, and they just played an OT game on top of it all. So, L.A.'s shallow bench vs San Antonio's old age / nagging injuries (Parker, Splitter) might be the "matchup" that swings the series.

Barkley made a good point. This series is about to be played every other day, and it's been so intense and will continue to be intense until its conclusion, and they just played an OT game on top of it all. So, L.A.'s shallow bench vs San Antonio's old age / nagging injuries (Parker, Splitter) might be the "matchup" that swings the series.
    In which direction, using statistical probabilities,of course?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    In which direction, using statistical probabilities,of course?
    I would guess advantage Spurs. CP3 and Griffin have been playing at such a high level that any dip in their quality due to attrition over a long, intense series probably dooms the Clips. Whereas the Spurs have already shown that Mills can step in for Parker and play well, Belinelli can step in for Manu, Diaw can step in for Splitter, etc. I'll say 70% chance Spurs win the series, AND I'll go ahead and predict the Spurs to win as well, as probability and prediction are completely different things that should not be confused. Would be happy to be wrong. Even putting aside that there are 3 Blue Devils on the team, the Clips play an entertaining style of basketball and zip the ball around as much as San Antonio does.

Playoff Rose continues to be a revelation. What a monster game by him to carry the Bulls to the double-OT win. (Dukie Dunleavy with some clutch shots / smart plays pitched in as well.)

I guess what's most surprising to me is that Rose has been a lights-out 3-pt shooter through 3 games in the playoffs.

I would usually chalk that up to great luck / random variation since he shot 28% during the regular season and is 30% for his career.

But Rose just looks soooo good shooting them right now. He passes the eye test right now as a great 3-pt shooter.

Playoff Rose continues to be a revelation. What a monster game by him to carry the Bulls to the double-OT win.

I guess what's most surprising to me is he's been a lights-out 3-pt shooter through 3 games in the playoffs.

I would usually chalk that up to great luck / random variation since he shot 28% during the regular season and is 30% for his career.

But Rose just looks soooo good shooting them right now. He passes the eye test right now as a great 3-pt shooter.
    I still think the 3s are a fluke, but what has pleased me is that he has shown the ability to get to the rim and make circus shots like the good old days. His performance in double-OT (no doubt fed up after giving Gasol and Butler the chance to win in OT) was vintage; he was absolutely not going to be denied down the stretch. Just a a dominant effort against a really good defensive Bucks team.

That said, it was a little annoying that the Bulls allowed it to go to OT. They were up 10 late and then promptly allowed an 11-0 run before Rose drew a foul and tied it at the line. They almost blew it.

Still, it is really satisfying seeing Rose back to being Rose. Looking forward to the Bulls/Cavs series that seems inevitable now.

ASGHOAHAHAHSOWQHAKHA~~!R!@$!RTWTH!@K!H%!

Sorry, that was my reaction to Steph Curry's game tying 3 and Golden State's 39-19 4th quarter to send the game to overtime. My goodness.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Stephen Curry... that is all.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    ASGHOAHAHAHSOWQHAKHA~~!R!@$!RTWTH!@K!H%!

Sorry, that was my reaction to Steph Curry's game tying 3 and Golden State's 39-19 4th quarter to send the game to overtime. My goodness.
    I didn't see the game having fallen asleep after staying up to watch the Spurs/Clips the night before - East Coast NBA fan problems - but it was great to see the SportsCenter footage of Seth and Dell going crazy in the stands.

Despite their great regular season, it doesn't seem like the Warriors are the popular pick to win the title. I guess we'll see, but I'd be hard pressed to bet against them.

Does anyone else feel like the Cavs are figuring out how Love fits? He was solid down the stretch last night.

Man, this Boston/Cleveland game has gotten ugly. Kevin Love suffered a dislocated shoulder as he and Olynyk wrestled for a loose ball. He's out for the game. The Cavs bring in Kendrick Perkins (designated goon) and he throws a pair of forearms into the throat of Jae Crowder on a "screen". Strangely, he wasn't given a flagrant 2, which led to some more chippiness. Well, that chippiness has now escalated. JR Smith just threw a spinning punch to the face of Crowder. He was rightfully ejected, and will likely miss their next game (like game 1 of the Bulls series). More importantly, Crowder crumpled and suffered a left leg injury and was carried to the locker room. Just a bad scene all around.

Unfortunately, bad officiating early has led to unnecessary violence and potentially another serious injury. Not a good look for the league in this one.

Hopefully Love is able to recover in time for their next series, and hopefully Crowder's injury isn't too serious. And hopefully nothing else happens in the next 19 minutes of play.

As Crowder was helped into the tunnel by his teammates, the censors "accidentally" allowed some of his tirade to slip through. He called the play by "Smith" fudged up. I agree with his sentiments. Smith will be fined heavily and could miss the next game. I would accuse JR of learning that no look punch from a cheap shot class at unc but there are several unlikely things about that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Man, this Boston/Cleveland game has gotten ugly. Kevin Love suffered a dislocated shoulder as he and Olynyk wrestled for a loose ball.
    Well, sort of. Love was wrestling for the loose ball, Olynyk was wrestling Love's joints loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, sort of. Love was wrestling for the loose ball, Olynyk was wrestling Love's joints loose.
    Thank you! Everything that transpired today started and ended with the Celtics playing chippy and ultra-physical in Game 3 and early in this game. Kevin Love was injured, not on a freak play, but on a goon play by Olynyk. It's one thing to get tangled up (which is what happened initially), but it's entirely another thing to realize that you've got a guy's arm locked in with your one arm and then wrench it with your second arm. Nothing but bad stuff happens when you pull that kind of move.

While I can't condone what Perkins did, I didn't think it warranted an ejection or suspension. Smith may get one for his move, but even there I'm not sure it rises to that level. Not with all the physical play that the Celtics imposed in that series once it went to Boston. Of course, if Love isn't playing the Bulls should send thank you notes to the Celtics for softening the Cavs up before they play them. And it wasn't just Love. Kyrie tweaked a previous injury as well due to over-aggressive Celtic play in the first half.

BTW, I've been a life-long Celtics fan (although not pulling for them this year as I've chosen to pull for teams like the Cavs and Clips that have former Dukies playing for them). So there's no anti-Boston sentiment in my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Thank you! Everything that transpired today started and ended with the Celtics playing chippy and ultra-physical in Game 3 and early in this game. Kevin Love was injured, not on a freak play, but on a goon play by Olynyk. It's one thing to get tangled up (which is what happened initially), but it's entirely another thing to realize that you've got a guy's arm locked in with your one arm and then wrench it with your second arm. Nothing but bad stuff happens when you pull that kind of move.

While I can't condone what Perkins did, I didn't think it warranted an ejection or suspension. Smith may get one for his move, but even there I'm not sure it rises to that level. Not with all the physical play that the Celtics imposed in that series once it went to Boston. Of course, if Love isn't playing the Bulls should send thank you notes to the Celtics for softening the Cavs up before they play them. And it wasn't just Love. Kyrie tweaked a previous injury as well due to over-aggressive Celtic play in the first half.

BTW, I've been a life-long Celtics fan (although not pulling for them this year as I've chosen to pull for teams like the Cavs and Clips that have former Dukies playing for them). So there's no anti-Boston sentiment in my comments.
    Perkins didn't warrant a suspension and was only borderline on an ejection. Smith absolutely deserved the ejection and should get a one-game suspension. There is no place for what he did in the game of basketball. Excessive physicality is one thing; throwing fists/punches is another.