Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Well, that's just you. I think (and would hope) you're out of step with 95% of Duke fans.

Of course Tyus, Jahlil and Justise are Blue Devils for life.

And, incidentally, these three, in their one year, have done more for the university than 99.999% of Duke grads and fans.
    Re Blue Devils for life, I completely agree with you.

Re the 99.999% of Duke grads and fans, although I realize I may be taking your comment too seriously, we part ways. Fans, okay; alums, I think your view of doing something for the university may be a bit sports-centric. How about the Duke grads who have donated dollars, equipment, facilities, buildings? How about people like Melinda Gates or Paul Farmer, who enhance the school's reputation through their good works (and in Gates' case, through direct service on the Board of Trustees)?

We love basketball and it's easy to see the university through that lens, but there is other stuff that happens there, even if it doesn't get quite as much publicity or feel quite as exciting. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Re Blue Devils for life, I completely agree with you.

Re the 99.999% of Duke grads and fans, although I realize I may be taking your comment too seriously, we part ways. Fans, okay; alums, I think your view of doing something for the university may be a bit sports-centric. How about the Duke grads who have donated dollars, equipment, facilities, buildings? How about people like Melinda Gates or Paul Farmer, who enhance the school's reputation through their good works (and in Gates' case, through direct service on the Board of Trustees)?

We love basketball and it's easy to see the university through that lens, but there is other stuff that happens there, even if it doesn't get quite as much publicity or feel quite as exciting. Just sayin'.
    Haha, well, Melinda Gates definitely belongs in the 0.001% exception.

Giving the math some more thought (which I didn't do seriously before), I probably went one or two decimal places too far.

But I am VERY comfortable saying that Jah, Tyus, and Justise have brought in more money and more interest to the University than 99.9% of alumni.

There are academic studies that show that athletic success, especially championships, in football or basketball leads to surges in applications and interest in the University generally.

I'm an alum that has given back some, but there's no way I could say that my impact has been close to the impact of the three freshmen.

I'm part of the 99.9%. You may be part of the 0.1%, Mr. Moneybags MCFinARL

Giving the math some more thought (which I didn't do seriously before), I probably went one or two decimal places too far.

But I am VERY comfortable saying that Jah, Tyus, and Justise have brought in more money and more interest to the University than 99.9% of alumni.

There are academic studies that show that athletic success, especially championships, in football or basketball leads to surges in applications and interest in the University generally.

I'm an alum that has given back some, but there's no way I could say that my impact has been close to the impact of the three freshmen.

For what it is worth (as an alum that is most certainly in the 99.9% and probably in the 99.999%), I think you are correct. Both indirectly (increased exposure nationally due to the championship never hurts with donors or applicants) and directly (I'm sure some of the money Duke brings in for athletics goes back to the university).

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Very difficult indeed to score without having the ball in your hands!
    But not impossible! Just ask Tyler Zeller.

Well, that's just you. I think (and would hope) you're out of step with 95% of Duke fans.

Of course Tyus, Jahlil and Justise are Blue Devils for life.

And, incidentally, these three, in their one year, have done more for the university than 99.999% of Duke grads and fans.
    And the "mission" of Duke University is ... what?

Of course, according to the late Clark Kerr (president at Cal Berkeley), "The three purposes of the University?--To provide sex for the students, sports for the alumni, and parking for the faculty."

I would only go as far as saying that a successful big-time sports program adds some cachet to the university in the mind of the general public. Thus, Duke and Northwestern are household names to a degree that comparable institutions like Emory, Wash U., are Carnegie Mellon not.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Justise just posted a picture on Instagram and Sheed is with him. Sheed also looks happy in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Justise just posted a picture on Instagram and Sheed is with him. Sheed also looks happy in the picture.
    Link:

https://instagram.com/p/1mFb8ICApy/
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Houston, TX guys. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Totally with you - I want to be Justise Winslow.
    While I would still like to be Justise Winslow - and am eternally grateful to Jahlil - Tyus was my favorite player from day one. I always like a point guard that can push the rock - but his ability/desire to take and hit the biggest shot - in the biggest games - made him truly special. I don't think that Tyus was necessarily better under pressure - I think Tyus was just better - and was more likely to call his own number in pressure situations.

It's so hard to rank my all time Duke faves but Tyus is a top fiver for me - perhaps top 3 with Grwnt and Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    as an alum that is most certainly in the 99.9% and probably in the 99.999%
    Ok wait, if you are most certainly in the 99.9% then aren't you most certainly in the 99.999%?

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Ok wait, if you are most certainly in the 99.9% then aren't you most certainly in the 99.999%?
    Yeah, and apparently not good at math despite my Pratt degree. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    While I would still like to be Justise Winslow - and am eternally grateful to Jahlil - Tyus was my favorite player from day one. I always like a point guard that can push the rock - but his ability/desire to take and hit the biggest shot - in the biggest games - made him truly special. I don't think that Tyus was necessarily better under pressure - I think Tyus was just better - and was more likely to call his own number in pressure situations.

It's so hard to rank my all time Duke faves but Tyus is a top fiver for me - perhaps top 3 with Grwnt and Kyle.
    While I've never given any thought to where I'd rank Tyus in my All-Time Favorite Duke Players list, I'm with you on him being my favorite of the freshmen this year. And for the same reasons you shared. I will say, on the spur of the moment, that he'd probably rank in my Top 10 of all time simply for the sake of him 1) winning a title for Duke, and 2) being about as clutch as a guy not named Christian Laettner can be!

Thanks Tyus, Jahil and Justise! What an amazing ride you freshmen (along with Grayson) took us on this year!

Be blessed going forward!!!

No, I'm not even an alum, and my main contribution to Duke has been tuition money for my kids (and just enough extra to get invited to the pre-commencement breakfast for parents' fund contributors so we could get a good parking space ) So I'm definitely not part of the 0.1%. And while your math sounded a bit extreme to me, I haven't done any math of my own, so my challenge is really just a guess.

I agree athletic success can have a big impact on a university--I teach at George Mason, which experienced a big increase in applications for a couple of years after the Final Four trip in 2006--especially applications from outside Virginia, where many people were just hearing about the university's existence for the first time.

And clearly top quality sports, especially basketball, are a very significant part of the Duke brand, a brand that is obviously enhanced by talented and personable basketball players like Tyus, Jahlil, and Justice winning a national championship, not to mention talking openly and frequently about how much they love Duke. Didn't mean to undervalue their contributions, just thought we might be undervaluing other people's.

No, I'm not even an alum, and my main contribution to Duke has been tuition money for my kids (and just enough extra to get invited to the pre-commencement breakfast for parents' fund contributors so we could get a good parking space ) So I'm definitely not part of the 0.1%. And while your math sounded a bit extreme to me, I haven't done any math of my own, so my challenge is really just a guess.

I agree athletic success can have a big impact on a university--I teach at George Mason, which experienced a big increase in applications for a couple of years after the Final Four trip in 2006--especially applications from outside Virginia, where many people were just hearing about the university's existence for the first time.

And clearly top quality sports, especially basketball, are a very significant part of the Duke brand, a brand that is obviously enhanced by talented and personable basketball players like Tyus, Jahlil, and Justice winning a national championship, not to mention talking openly and frequently about how much they love Duke. Didn't mean to undervalue their contributions, just thought we might be undervaluing other people's.
    It's Justise...

I'm part of the 99.9%.
    I'm not anywhere near the moneybags part nor have a I paid a child's tuition. I did take advantage of an opportunity offered by the Duke Endowment. If there is a next time, the University community would be greatly appreciative if you availed yourself of the opportunity rather than commenting on your status.

Good post. I focused on money and positive publicity, but there are other ways to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm not anywhere near the moneybags part nor have a I paid a child's tuition. I did take advantage of an opportunity offered by the Duke Endowment. If there is a next time, the University community would be greatly appreciative if you availed yourself of the opportunity rather than commenting on your status.
    Please lighten up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    It's Justise...
    [hits forehead repeatedly with hand] I know this...

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    It's Justise...
    Sorry to break the news ...

There is no more Justise at Duke

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Sorry to break the news ...

There is no more Justise at Duke
    [weeping and gnashing of teeth]

This is a relatively meaningless post, for which I apologize, but I can't spork you right now.

Justise posted on Instagram that he will be repped by RocNation Sports. Pretty cool he will be repped by Hov's company.