Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

UNC Athletics Scandal: SACS to announce June 11

Bradley Bethel just won't go away.

The signatories of this petition appeal to the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism to continue the important work in holding the media accountable. We ask they review and critique the reporting of the following media outlets that have covered the alleged athletic scandal at the University of North Carolina.

Associated Press
    Business Insider
    BusinessWeek
    CBS Sports
    ChapelBoro.com
    Chronicle of Higher Ed
    CNN
    College Baseball Daily
    Courier-Journal
    Daily Tarheel
    ESPN
    Forbes
    Fox News
    HBO Sports
    Herald Sun
    Huffington Post
    National Law Review
    National Review
    NBC Sports
    News & Observer
    News & Record
    NPR
    NY Daily News
    NY Times
    Post & Courier
    SiriusXM
    Sporting News
    Sports Illustrated
    University Herald
    USA Today
    Wall Street Journal
    WCHL
    Winston-Salem Journal
    WTVD-11
    Yahoo Sports

I checked it twice and I don't think he called out the Onion, so I guess he's OK with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Bradley Bethel just won't go away.

The signatories of this petition appeal to the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism to continue the important work in holding the media accountable. We ask they review and critique the reporting of the following media outlets that have covered the alleged athletic scandal at the University of North Carolina.

Associated Press
    Business Insider
    BusinessWeek
    CBS Sports
    ChapelBoro.com
    Chronicle of Higher Ed
    CNN
    College Baseball Daily
    Courier-Journal
    Daily Tarheel
    ESPN
    Forbes
    Fox News
    HBO Sports
    Herald Sun
    Huffington Post
    National Law Review
    National Review
    NBC Sports
    News & Observer
    News & Record
    NPR
    NY Daily News
    NY Times
    Post & Courier
    SiriusXM
    Sporting News
    Sports Illustrated
    University Herald
    USA Today
    Wall Street Journal
    WCHL
    Winston-Salem Journal
    WTVD-11
    Yahoo Sports

I checked it twice and I don't think he called out the Onion, so I guess he's OK with this post.
    funny, funny. he must realize by showing the massive list of media organizations that felt the scandal was serious enough to cover, he's only adding to the overall credibility of the story... right? the signatories to the petition (at the bottom) are a hoot too!

Alleged?

While technically true, I think they've admitted to it, so it's a bit beyond alleged now. It's a bit like saying that Bernie Madoff is alleged to have committed fraud.

Some of the "undersigned" comments are priceless

A Review and Critique

Well, he's up to 17 signatures. Talk about going viral!

Anyway, while we're in the spirit of reviewing and critiquing, let's have a look at his opening salvo, shall we? The [brackets] are mine.

The recent review of the Rolling Stones [It's actually Rolling Stone, and the use of italics might be effective here. Already I'm quibbling...] article about the allegations of rape at the University of Virginia show [SHOWS!] just how irresponsible the media has become in their [In their? In its? Does it even matter at this point?] public responsibility [Irresponsible... in their public responsibility? Really? For starters, I try not to use the same word, or derivations of it, twice in the same sentence. But more importantly, what exactly is going on here other than a full frontal assault on the English language? And lastly, did Bradley in fact author some of the bogus papers himself? Inquiring minds want to know.] to verify and report the truth [facts might be a better word choice here for one seeking to eventually get to the truth]. For the past 4 [in cases of less than ten, it's best to write the word four] years, the media have [Can I please get a 'has' here ladies and gentlemen?] sensationalized their [its, ugh] reporting of an academic scandal spanning nearly two decades, involving more than 3,000 students, including nearly 1,500 student athletes [Leaving aside the rambling and awkward sentence structure for just a moment, is it just me, or does a scandal spanning two decades involving 3,000+ students seems pretty sensational in its own right, without the need for any so-called embellishment?].

The above cluster (note: use of the word cluster is not intended to sensationalize my words in any way) brings to mind the eloquent words of one Emmett Fitz-Hume, who once said, and I quote:

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know that's the way it will always be. Is that clear?"

Thank you Bradley! Please keep 'em coming. And good luck with the documentary. Based on what I've seen from you so far, I'm anticipating that your promise to responsibly examine the irresponsibility associated with this sensational scandal will be nothing short of truthful -- and potentially Oscar-worthy.

He forgot one...

He forgot to add

Cadwalader, Wickershaw & Taft.

Oh wait they are the folks hired by UNC that showed all of those emails that conclude their was a 20 year scandal at UNC.

Pack Pride did more investigative journalism than almost anyone on the list.

Has ESPN in any way "covered" unc's academic fraud by athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Has ESPN in any way "covered" unc's academic fraud by athletes?
    Several reports on Outside The Lines, which now airs every other Thursday at 4AM on ESPN Classic.

A couple more omitted

There was coverage on the Russian News Network and Voice of America, too. (No kidding.)
    Someone's obviously having fun at B-Rad's expense. Couldn't happen to a more deserving soul.

I bet the silence is killing them...

hud

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post

hud
    It's killing them softly...

Last commit to UNC other than Maye was two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    It's killing them softly...

Last commit to UNC other than Maye was two years ago.
    Yeah, but that one get is exceptional. Maye is a dead-on 3 point shooter and will put Carolina over the top next year. He's better than any Duke commit.

You need to spend more time on IC. They were right about Justin Jackson being better than Winslow and Joel Berry II being better than Tyus, weren't they?

UNC & NCAAs Partners ?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post
    If the statement about 20 other universities being investigated is true, that's bad news for anyone that wants to see significant punishment. That's 20 other universities that are quite content to not apply pressure.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If the statement about 20 other universities being investigated is true, that's bad news for anyone that wants to see significant punishment. That's 20 other universities that are quite content to not apply pressure.

I can see The NCAA lowering standards and making them retroactive about 20 years...

turn off the light, close the doors....unc has won...

they've out-lied, out-attacked, out-absorbed, out-deflected, out-sued, out-investigated, out-shredded and out-lawyered EVERYONE...

they are going to skate...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Syracuse says hi.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    turn off the light, close the doors....unc has won...

they've out-lied, out-attacked, out-absorbed, out-deflected, out-sued, out-investigated, out-shredded and out-lawyered EVERYONE...

they are going to skate...
    Do you realize what will happen if NCAA lets UNC skate? 1 - it will open the door for future fraud, because, if UNC got away with it, everyone else will too, 2 - the next time the NCAA tries to come down on anyone for an infraction, you'll have a lawsuit. UNC gets 18-23 years of fraud and University X gets busted for a few "payments"? No way.

If UNC skates, the NCAA is done.