Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Lets re-live the story...sorry if it has already been posted...
    http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...db_oem_id=4200
    Would be much nicer if this was available via youtube. Not watching on computer and it doesn't cast as nicely from phone.

oh SNAP!!!!!! look what happened back in april..

we won a NATTY!!!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    oh SNAP!!!!!! look what happened back in april..

we won a NATTY!!!!!!!!
    And wasn't it FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    My favorite signal from Coach K. Right after Grayson received the ball he looked over at Coach, apparently asking what he was supposed to do, and Coach just twirled his finger meaning, I suppose, "Drive and score!" My favorite fan reaction is that jumping gal who's shown right after.

Was he telling him what to do or did Grayson get an implant before the game and K was simply controlling him like one does with an XBox Kinect? I think K needed to take it off autopilot and start flying himself.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Was he telling him what to do or did Grayson get an implant before the game and K was simply controlling him like one does with an XBox Kinect? I think K needed to take it off autopilot and start flying himself.
    This was an awesome moment in just an incredible, and unbelievable game. You have the genius of K, understanding what is going on in a "moment" and calling the correct play for that "moment". K is in tune totally, with the fact that something special is going on with a talented, but little used freshman, calls a play for said freshman, with 5 minutes left in a tied up game, that just happens to be the National Championship. What other coach on planet earth has the stones to give the ball to the little used, but talented freshman in that "moment". No one. Not one. None of them. The ball would have been given to someone else, period, if any other coach has their team in that moment.

These are the things I will miss the most when this journey Michael Krzyzewski has us all on, ends. There are no longer words to describe the man. I ran out long ago.

First he yells at Winslow to stay put in the corner. No way Winslow's defender is going to leave him to help someone else. His defender has to believe the ball is going to him in this moment. Winslow stays put. K motions for Tyus to give the ball to Grayson, and keep the floor spread. As noted, Grayson looks to K for the play. "Drive that sucker is the answer". Grayson nods, and it's on! K is K is K is K is K is all I know to say at this point on why, how, what the heck is he doing. Yeah I know Grayson was already on fire by that point, but honestly, he had done his job already. He had shot the lightning bolt into his teammates, and provided them with sorely needed points, maniac defense, hustle, and energy. Just two years earlier, Michigan Coach John Belein rode his little used but talented Freshman Spike Albrecht a tad too far, and it arguably cost him the National Title. K however, had that sixth sense, and somehow knew he was not going to the same well one too many times. Notice too, that shortly after, K does turn back to the guys that got him to the Title game, and like Grayson, they too, delivered. The rest as they say, is history.

I will never get tired of watching, or reading about the 2015 National Championship game. It was anything but your run of the mill championship game. It was K being K, and young kids putting their complete and entire faith in him and his beliefs they are going to perform the way K told them in the huddles that they would. I keep going back to the timeout late in the unc-cheat game in CIS where, in dire straights, staring a loss squarely in the face, with the star center on a bum wheel, K looks them in the eye and tells them, "listen to me! You are about to be apart of something special! You are going to win this game!"...

no words... no words at all to describe him.

at what point did Bo know that Duke was going to win?

I'm saying when we took the lead after being 9 down....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I disliked Bo Ryan before the game. I despise him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    no words... no words at all to describe him.
    I admit to being someone who, over the past 10 years, thought K had lost his edge a little as an in-game tactician. It was just a feeling I had - letting guys pick up too many fouls in a half or a certain stretch, playing guys until they were dead tired, going stall ball too early, etc. But, this year especially, I felt like he was in all time form from the start of the season to the finish, he never made a wrong step. The segment you guys reviewed was a great example, but I was equally impressed with the way he game managed the final 5 minutes of the first half, especially the last 3. Bill Raftery commented on it as the game went to the break, we had given up the lead and were in danger of dropping behind and between play calling, subs and general force-of-nature will he got us to halftime in fine shape. He basically conducted that whole game - amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I admit to being someone who, over the past 10 years, thought K had lost his edge a little as an in-game tactician. It was just a feeling I had - letting guys pick up too many fouls in a half or a certain stretch, playing guys until they were dead tired, going stall ball too early, etc. But, this year especially, I felt like he was in all time form from the start of the season to the finish, he never made a wrong step. The segment you guys reviewed was a great example, but I was equally impressed with the way he game managed the final 5 minutes of the first half, especially the last 3. Bill Raftery commented on it as the game went to the break, we had given up the lead and were in danger of dropping behind and between play calling, subs and general force-of-nature will he got us to halftime in fine shape. He basically conducted that whole game - amazing.
    Speaking of your fatigue comment (and not wishing to get embroiled in another one of those loooooong board discussions), I'm not sure we've collectively discussed one factor of last year's March to Glory, and
    that's K mentioning how he really reduced practice time because of our small roster (and I believe injuries figured into this as well). I think our team was seemingly fresher, clearly (to me anyway, I know it's subjective)
    less fatigued than in some (some) previous years. Even though we have a bigger roster this year, I wonder if K's thinking might have changed to some extent given that experience. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Speaking of your fatigue comment (and not wishing to get embroiled in another one of those loooooong board discussions), I'm not sure we've collectively discussed one factor of last year's March to Glory, and
    that's K mentioning how he really reduced practice time because of our small roster (and I believe injuries figured into this as well). I think our team was seemingly fresher, clearly (to me anyway, I know it's subjective)
    less fatigued than in some (some) previous years. Even though we have a bigger roster this year, I wonder if K's thinking might have changed to some extent given that experience. Just a thought...
    No question Duke was the better conditioned team in the final. Yes, due to coaching, but also due to the enthusiasm and hard work we saw in the pre-season workouts. Quinn Cook deserves a lot of credit for that.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Totally agree, and hey, it's more than fair to bring up late season fatigue in seasons past, no matter the root cause. 2005 comes to mind for me. Our guys were very fresh down the 2015 stretch. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No question Duke was the better conditioned team in the final. Yes, due to coaching, but also due to the enthusiasm and hard work we saw in the pre-season workouts. Quinn Cook deserves a lot of credit for that.
    Great points Roy. Quinn gets a ton of credit on many many levels for the success that was last season. He was phenomenal in leadership and on court play.

I have always argued loudly that the last 10 games of the 2001 National Title season was the greatest coaching job ever in College Hoops and now 2015 performance by K is pushing 2001 for that honor in my opinion.

For many years we have been far better conditioned early in the season than our opponents have been...but last year in the tourney we looked (at least to me, again subjectively) the freshest we've been in a long, long time.

For many years we have been far better conditioned early in the season than our opponents have been...but last year in the tourney we looked (at least to me, again subjectively) the freshest we've been in a long, long time.
    Having three first round draft picks can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Having three first round draft picks can do that.
    Perhaps...but I can recall first round draft pick JJ Redick looking like he had tired legs for at least two tournaments...

Perhaps...but I can recall first round draft pick JJ Redick looking like he had tired legs for at least two tournaments...
    You mean the tournaments in which Duke did not have three first round draft picks?

If Duke had not had Justise Winslow for the NCAAs, this board would probably be talking about how Okafor looked "tired" in Duke's loss to Utah or Gonzaga. But Duke *did* have Justise Winslow.

K is great but Old Roy might actually be on to something. Not only did Duke fail to make the ACC finals, but the tournament was moved up a day. That gave Duke a full week off before the tournament to refuel. I'm sure K had a big hand in resting the troops. However, don't forget that the team didn't have to grind it out through Selection Sunday.

I know, here it comes. It's never good to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by dukejunkie View Post
    K is great but Old Roy might actually be on to something. Not only did Duke fail to make the ACC finals, but the tournament was moved up a day. That gave Duke a full week off before the tournament to refuel. I'm sure K had a big hand in resting the troops. However, don't forget that the team didn't have to grind it out through Selection Sunday.

While the rest may help, it is also important for a team to be peaking at the right time. Duke played its worst ball in January. They were in the midst of a learning curve at the start of conference play and had Okafor's ankle injury and Winslow was banged up too (shoulder?). After that, they rolled to the title with only a loss to ND. Theirs wins included the comeback in Charlottesville that started everything, two gutsy wins over Unc, a thirty point blowout over ND, a blowout of Sparty in the Final Four and a repeat defeat of media darling Wisconsin.

They got healthy, they grew up and the talent and chemistry took over. They had opponents on their heels most of the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejunkie View Post

I agree. For the past few years, ever since mega-dilution, I just haven't cared about the ACC Tournament that much. It ain't what it used to be (channel my inner old fart).
    So I have had decidedly mixed emotions when we lose pre ACC finals: it's never good to lose, but the grind can be taxing...

I actually think that Bo coached the end of the game awfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I actually think that Bo coached the end of the game awfully.
    Yep, and he was also pretty bad post-game.