Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Thanks, yea, she has been accepted to Bates College (in Maine); Hamilton College (in NY); University of Rochester (in NY); Kenyon College (in Ohio); Carlton College (in Minnesota); Franklin and Marshall (in PA); UNC; and waitlisted at Tufts (in MA) - but has no interest in going to Tufts.

In all honesty, I think she "undersold" herself with the colleges she applied to. Not to be a college snob, but I was pushing Yale, Princeton, Duke or Stanford. Not sure she would have gotten into any of those but would have been worth an application, IMHO.

We didn't apply for financial aid, but Kenyon offered her a $25,000 per year merit scholarship and University of Rochester offered her a $12,000 per year merit scholarship.

UNC is actually about $20,000 per year LESS than the other colleges, even for an out-of-state student. My wife said we shouldn't ignore that.
    Oops, did I get mixed up? I thought she was accepted to Williams too!

I don't know about the physics departments at those schools. I'll ask hubby later, if you like.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 04-02-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks, yea, she has been accepted to Bates College (in Maine); Hamilton College (in NY); University of Rochester (in NY); Kenyon College (in Ohio); Carlton College (in Minnesota); Franklin and Marshall (in PA); UNC; and waitlisted at Tufts (in MA) - but has no interest in going to Tufts.

In all honesty, I think she "undersold" herself with the colleges she applied to. Not to be a college snob, but I was pushing Yale, Princeton, Duke or Stanford. Not sure she would have gotten into any of those but would have been worth an application, IMHO.

We didn't apply for financial aid, but Kenyon offered her a $25,000 per year merit scholarship and University of Rochester offered her a $12,000 per year merit scholarship.

UNC is actually about $20,000 per year LESS than the other colleges, even for an out-of-state student. My wife said we shouldn't ignore that.
    Out of that group, U of R would be my pick, but if she is interested in the sciences and wants a smaller school, she should be going to Union or RPI.

Fire Them All!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Final point from me - are you aware of the current brouhaha down there as it relates to the state Republican Party basically taking over the University? They are trying to force out tenured professors they deem too liberal. The Board of Governors, appointed by the very conservative current governor, has engineered the resignation of the current university president. I am not making a political statement here - I would be dismayed no matter who decided to make running UNC an ideological statement. I predict a very turbulent next few years at UNC. I wouldn't want to send my child into that mess even if I were TarHeel born and bred.
    Really? Will there be any faculty left?

I am not making a political statement here - I would be dismayed no matter who decided to make running UNC an ideological statement. I predict a very turbulent next few years at UNC. I wouldn't want to send my child into that mess even if I were TarHeel born and bred.
    I absolutely agree with this sentiment. But, you should understand, that was the exact situation before, only now the ideology is different.

Suck It Up

Suck it up, dad. This is good practice for the day she introduces you to the guy/gal she wants to marry!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd hire a deprogrammer. Well worth the money.
    Or perhaps an exorcist?!?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

My husband has taught at Duke for about fifty years. He was one of the original faculty that came here to form the business school. We've lived on the hump on the dump from the beginning.

When it came time for daughter #1 to start college, she chose UNC (questionable that she'd have gotten into Duke anyway)and married a Heel she met there. But, for what it's worth - we got even. Their son (known here as "Native") sent them into shock when he enrolled at Duke. He's had the time of his life. He graduates this year and they will be verrrrry relieved to stop making out so many checks to Duke.

So.... ya win some, ya lose some.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I might have an interesting option for her (and you). But first, any chance you could list some/all of the small colleges she's considering?

I agree with cspan37421's comment in post above re small dept, mentoring, and actually "doing" physics, including mentored research, as an undergrad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Suck it up, dad. This is good practice for the day she introduces you to the guy/gal she wants to marry!
    LOL....yea, I already have some practice with that. She had a BF last year that I basically hated (for no rational reason other than he was dating my only daughter and he drove a jacked-up truck with no muffler on it. LOL). I did my best to ignore him and discourage her involvement with him whenever I could. Even my wife told me...."you are really NOT handling this well. Grow up". Luckily, that "relationship" ended but now some other moronic guy is coming by the house to hang out with her. I realize it was much easier being a parent when she was five years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    My husband has taught at Duke for about fifty years. He was one of the original faculty that came here to form the business school. We've lived on the hump on the dump from the beginning.

When it came time for daughter #1 to start college, she chose UNC (questionable that she'd have gotten into Duke anyway)and married a Heel she met there. But, for what it's worth - we got even. Their son (known here as "Native") sent them into shock when he enrolled at Duke. He's had the time of his life. He graduates this year and they will be verrrrry relieved to stop making out so many checks to Duke.

Love, Ima
    Excellent. After all, revenge is a dish best served by the grandkids.

Love, Ima

Amazing - this is an incredible bit of DBR genealogy. Despite manning the LM section with 'Native' for a year, I didn't know that - and given the way he carries himself as a crazie, not something I could have ever guessed.

My kids have known from the womb that if they go to UNC they are paying for it themselves. ;-) And they know I am not kidding.
    Uh, yeah. This. My daughter went to State and did her Master's at UNC-G. My son started at State, then transferred to and graduated from WFU. He's now doing his Master's at UNC. The good news is that UNC is paying him to go there, so no checks from either of us are going to that school. He's doing his research in conjunction with Duke, which is pretty cool, and he's now looking at doing his PhD at UNC because Duke does not have an Exercise Physiology department (or any equivalent). Besides, his adviser has some pretty impeccable credentials and he'd like to continue with him and his really cool connections (like the Brazilian triathlon team and the US Olympic Training Center, not to mention the really cool research on exercise helping breast cancer patients recover better and faster). Fortunately, that grad department is not chock full of Tar Heel fans...in fact, most faculty and staff are disinterested in the UNC sports teams and instead root for someone else. That is NOT the case in most departments, though.

My son is still a Blue Devil fan through and through, despite studying at every other Big 4 university. He is, however, getting the best education FOR HIM. He loves the small department, the terrific staff, the challenging and interesting course curriculum, and his research project is perfect for him and will set him up for a wonderful career. And his research is in conjunction with Duke. The only problem were seeing with this is that he may have to graduate in a terrible color, I may have to set foot in one of the athletic centers for graduation, and he'll have a UNC diploma on the wall forever. But it IS a good school. He loves what he's learning, he's clearly learning a lot, and he'll be able to have a long and successful career when he completes his degree(s).

There are worse things than your child going to UNC. The good news is that you can come visit her during basketball season and then hop over to Cameron to catch a game!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Final point from me - are you aware of the current brouhaha down there as it relates to the state Republican Party basically taking over the University?
    How times have changed! Mrs. 77devil was prohibited from applying, and I am not making this up, because her father believed it was run by communists. Fortunately for me she went to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    There are worse things than your child going to UNC.
    Not many.

Quote Originally Posted by grit74 View Post
    I absolutely agree with this sentiment. But, you should understand, that was the exact situation before, only now the ideology is different.
    Really? A Democratic governor forced out a President of UNC? I missed that. When did that happen?

Love, Ima
    We saw you on TV at the ACC Tournament! Native knows Son of BostonDevil at Duke.

Carlton College (in Minnesota)
    That's your winner. (Although it's spelled Carleton, with an E)

Carleton College has an excellent physics and astronomy program. They often place majors into high-ranking physics grad schools (i.e. Princeton, MIT, etc), and when they get there, Carleton majors have a nice track record of actually getting their Ph.D. They also have a dedicated telescope and observatory, a resource that very few other schools can offer (Duke does not have one, for instance). Moreover, the success rate of women entering into the Carleton physics program is one of the highest in the country. You can read more about Carleton's program here (as well as clicking around the Carleton physics site).

If your daughter is seriously considering a career in astrophysics, I'd strongly recommend Carleton College.

Also, for clarification...

We saw you on TV at the ACC Tournament! Native knows Son of BostonDevil at Duke.
    ...Son of BostonDevil = Me.

And yes, if I ever have kids, I will also be implementing the "UNC = I don't pay" policy.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    That's your winner. (Although it's spelled Carleton, with an E)

Carleton College has an excellent physics and astronomy program. They often place majors into high-ranking physics grad schools (i.e. Princeton, MIT, etc), and when they get there, Carleton majors have a nice track record of actually getting their Ph.D. They also have a dedicated telescope and observatory, a resource that very few other schools can offer (Duke does not have one, for instance). Moreover, the success rate of women entering into the Carleton physics program is one of the highest in the country. You can read more about Carleton's program here (as well as clicking around the Carleton physics site).

If your daughter is seriously considering a career in astrophysics, I'd strongly recommend Carleton College.

Also, for clarification...

...Son of BostonDevil = Me.

And yes, if I ever have kids, I will also be implementing the "UNC = I don't pay" policy.
    Okay, so my take away from your post is when did they name House H the Gates House? Why not call House G(all women in my day) that? I was in H in '92 and '93, second floor closest to the clock tower overlooking Clocktower/Crowell Quad in '92 and Main Quad in '93. An excellent spot to observe the happenings of the day, though the higher floors in the Clocktower did allow for better unobserved mischief.

With an interest in physics, she's likely looking into pursuing an advanced degree no? Well, there's your chance - she could still end up at Duke.

FWIW, I did my undergrad work at one of the schools you listed, and then continued onto Duke for my graduate degree in a STEM field. Though I could list many shortcomings of my (liberal arts) undergraduate education - being ill-prepared for graduate school is not one of them. For all the discussion about which undergraduate institution has the best physics department, they are all prestigious academic environments (excluding UNC, of course) that would give her both a well-rounded education AND the latitude to pursue studies, independent or otherwise, to best prepare herself for graduate school.

Also, would you rather she spend 3-4 years at Duke as an undergrad, or 4-6 (4-10?, looking at some of you on this board here) as a graduate student? Just sayin'...

Congratulations to both of you for the choices you have!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Okay, so my take away from your post is when did they name House H the Gates House? Why not call House G(all women in my day) that? I was in H in '92 and '93, second floor closest to the clock tower overlooking Clocktower/Crowell Quad in '92 and Main Quad in '93. An excellent spot to observe the happenings of the day, though the higher floors in the Clocktower did allow for better unobserved mischief.
    They decided on Gates House the year before I moved in (i.e. the first year it was Gates House was my first year in the house). I am currently in my second year in Gates House. They probably decided on 'Gates' because as currently organized, House H/Gates House is something like 75%-80% women. For what it's worth, House G is Griffin House, and it's much closer to 50/50 (I think it even leans slightly male).

My son just turned 10 months old

Insanely enough we had this conversation with my wife last week before this post went up. I told her it would be hard for me and I got yelled at (she is not a duke alum, she didn't even go to school in the USA).

Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a real problem.

That said, I think you have to shut your mouth and deal with it. It's a great school. Barring the AFAM and Ethics Branches!!!

It could be worse: see Luke Kennard (Entire family = Kentucky Fans, Son = Next Hated Duke Guard)

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    My son just turned 10 months old

Insanely enough we had this conversation with my wife last week before this post went up. I told her it would be hard for me and I got yelled at (she is not a duke alum, she didn't even go to school in the USA).

Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a real problem.

That said, I think you have to shut your mouth and deal with it. It's a great school. Barring the AFAM and Ethics Branches!!!

It could be worse: see Luke Kennard (Entire family = Kentucky Fans, Son = Next Hated Duke Guard)
    LOL, I feel your pain. I'm getting NO sympathy from my wife on my "dilemma" - frankly, she's a "hater" - thinks Duke is a rich, white, racist school and would never have wanted my daughter to even apply there. So, she's not completely opposed to her going to UNC. Yea, I don't hate UNC as much as some people on this Board and I like Chapel Hill and even accept it is a good school for some kids, but I just NEVER thought my daughter would have ANY interest in going there, so it is very shocking to me.