Conference records

Just because some folks may have had trouble keeping up, here is how the various conferences have done in the NCAA tourney thus far:

Big 12 (7): Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia Record: 5-7

Big Ten (7): Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin Record: 11-5

ACC (6): Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, Virginia Record: 15-5

Big East (6): Butler, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Villanova, Xavier Record: 5-6

SEC (5): Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss Record: 6-4

Pac-12 (4): Arizona, Oregon, UCLA, Utah Record: 8-4

Atlantic 10 (3): Davidson, Dayton, VCU Record: 2-3

Mountain West (3): Boise State, San Diego State, Wyoming Record: 1-3

American (2): Cincinnati, SMU Record: 1-2

Missouri Valley (2): Northern Iowa, Wichita State Record: 3-2

West Coast (2): Gonzaga, BYU Record: 3-2

-Jason "The Pac 12 and Big Ten have done well, but all pale in comparison to the ACC" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

To take it further, Duke's record against the field started out at 12-3.

Against the field remaining at each stopping point, it has always been a winning record.

At the Final Four, it stands at 2-0.

Thanks for the list. It's pretty telling. I would give the SEC and A10 an asterisk though, since they each got one win from the play in games.

Let's get the ACC to 17-5, shall we?

The NCAA "basketball fund" pays each conference based on the number of tournament games played. Then a game is paid out every year for six years. The sum total, based on 2014 numbers is about $1.5 million.

the number of games by conference so far is
    Code:

ACC  20
    B10  16
    B12  12
    PAC  12
    East 11
    SEC  10
    The Big Ten could potentially have three more games; the ACC and SEC two. The ACC over the next six years will earn over 30 million dollars for this year's event -- money that is split evenly among the schools.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The NCAA "basketball fund" pays each conference based on the number of tournament games played. Then a game is paid out every year for six years. The sum total, based on 2014 numbers is about $1.5 million.

Code:

ACC  20
    B10  16
    B12  12
    PAC  12
    East 11
    SEC  10
    The Big Ten could potentially have three more games; the ACC and SEC two. The ACC over the next six years will earn over 30 million dollars for this year's event -- money that is split evenly among the schools.
    Strange payment scheme, given that the NCAA must earn so much more per game for the later round games. No wonder the conferences lobby so hard to get that last crappy school in, knowing that it'll be an 11 or 12 seed and likely lose their first game.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Strange payment scheme, given that the NCAA must earn so much more per game for the later round games. No wonder the conferences lobby so hard to get that last crappy school in, knowing that it'll be an 11 or 12 seed and likely lose their first game.
    Well, not to be too cynical, the conferences also lobby hard for positions in the field because that helps the coaches, the ADs, and -- at some schools -- the presidents.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Code:

ACC  21
    B10  18
    B12  12
    PAC  12
    East 11
    SEC  11
    ESPN had an article about the ACC's payout last week (link). For some reason, the championship game doesn't count, so the final apportioning has already been done (bold corrections above). FYI, the Big East has the record (since they started doing it this way in 1991) with 24 in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just because some folks may have had trouble keeping up, here is how the various conferences have done in the NCAA tourney thus far:

Big 12 (7): Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia Record: 5-7

Big Ten (7): Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin Record: 12-7

ACC (6): Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, Virginia Record: 17-5

Big East (6): Butler, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Villanova, Xavier Record: 5-6

SEC (5): Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss Record: 6-5

Pac-12 (4): Arizona, Oregon, UCLA, Utah Record: 8-4

Atlantic 10 (3): Davidson, Dayton, VCU Record: 2-3

Mountain West (3): Boise State, San Diego State, Wyoming Record: 1-3

American (2): Cincinnati, SMU Record: 1-2

Missouri Valley (2): Northern Iowa, Wichita State Record: 3-2

West Coast (2): Gonzaga, BYU Record: 3-2

-Jason "The Pac 12 and Big Ten have done well, but all pale in comparison to the ACC" Evans
    Revised. Final.