Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Guess he doesn't want to fight for minutes with Jackson and Pinson. Dude would be a lottery pick if he had a jumpshot.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Guess he doesn't want to fight for minutes with Jackson and Pinson. Dude would be a lottery pick if he had a jumpshot.
    Or maybe he realizes he's not developing at UNC and is wasting his potential.

“I know I can be so much more, but I’m not sure that I’m pushed to be that much more [in college]." -J.P. Tokoto
    And maybe he suspects the NCAA will come down hard on UNC.

His quotes at the end of that article seem like a pretty strong indictment of UNC's willingness to develop talent with an eye towards the next level... These quotes cannot go over well with top (i.e., less-than-4-year) recruits. Ahem, brandoningram, ahem.

“I feel like there can be a lot more to me as a player, more than just the defensive player who can occasionally dunk the ball,” Tokoto told Yahoo Sports. “I know I can be so much more, but I’m not sure that I’m pushed to be that much more [in college].

“I want to focus on my game, working with trainers and pro coaches over the summer and next year. I think that’ll give me the best chance to grow than staying school and being that player that fit into the mold of my first three years [at Carolina].”
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Does that open up a spot for Ingram? Might be a positive for Heels.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Personally I'd take a year or two of junior Tokoto over freshman skinny Ingram (who might leave after a year).

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Personally I'd take a year or two of junior Tokoto over freshman skinny Ingram (who might leave after a year).
    Tokoto's a junior, so one year. But yeah, it's not clear that there are many players in this class that will be worth more next year than "a defensive player than can occasionally dunk the ball." Tokoto may not like that role, but it's one with some value.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    His quotes at the end of that article seem like a pretty strong indictment of UNC's willingness to develop talent with an eye towards the next level... These quotes cannot go over well with top (i.e., less-than-4-year) recruits. Ahem, brandoningram, ahem.

“I feel like there can be a lot more to me as a player, more than just the defensive player who can occasionally dunk the ball,” Tokoto told Yahoo Sports. “I know I can be so much more, but I’m not sure that I’m pushed to be that much more [in college].

“I want to focus on my game, working with trainers and pro coaches over the summer and next year. I think that’ll give me the best chance to grow than staying school and being that player that fit into the mold of my first three years [at Carolina].”
    Ouch....those are strong words.

Ingram would still be behind Jackson and Pinson.

At Duke I'd think he'd start or at least be the first wing off the bench.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Wow. Did not see that one coming at all. I thought the only risks were Paige, Brice Johnson, and Justin Jackson. Why on earth a kid like that would give up his Sr year is head scratching. Weird indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Wow. Did not see that one coming at all. I thought the only risks were Paige, Brice Johnson, and Justin Jackson. Why on earth a kid like that would give up his Sr year is head scratching. Weird indeed.
    Maybe they told him he'd have to start going to real classes.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Wow. In other words "Roy Williams and his staff did not develop me into the player I can become. They pigeon holed me into a role that benefitted them and not me"... I bet Ol Roy is not in the One Shining Morning spirit dadgummit! Those are very damning statements against Roy and his program. This almost warrants its own thread!

Allows Berry to start. UNC just improved, probably.

Tokoto was a highly-rated prospect who the heel fans have hated on since he came. He is smart to leave. There must be a better atmosphere to develop.

Plus, the impending sanctions and all. Why would anyone invest the next few years at UNC with the uncertainty of sanctions?

We had four freshmen who won a natty. They have freshmen coming in who may have post-season bans and scholarship reductions. Smart money heads for the exits.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Unless Roy keeps playing Britt over him.

The Tokoto comments are astounding. Feeling that way is one thing, expressing it that publicly is something else entirely.

I suspect every top-level prospect being recruited by Carolina has or soon will be receiving a text message with these quotes. They are toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agree with this. Fun to parse JP's quotes and feel like there's some trouble brewing with Roy and some of his players, but this is addition by subtraction for the Heels, and might make them even better.

The spin on IC is that he must have heard something from the Brandon Ingram/Jaylen Brown camps. Pure speculation, of course.

But why in the world would any player want to leave Carolina right now? I get to reason number 7, then I'm stimied. It's always a decision based on NBA draft stock, isn't it?

well comments like these will help him in the eyes of gm's who value cohesiveness/a team first attitude. good thing he's pretty secure in his spot in the draft. </end sarcasm>

i mean, who is advising this kid? just bite your tongue for a few weeks and everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Ingram would still be behind Jackson and Pinson.

At Duke I'd think he'd start or at least be the first wing off the bench.
    I don't think he's necessarily behind Pinson, and I doubt that Ingram would assume he's behind Pinson, which is what really matters anyway in his decision. For better or worse, 18 year old kids have supreme confidence in themselves. The bigger issue is that Tokoto played at the 2 much of the time, though played some 3 when Britt or Berry was on the floor with Paige. I don't really see Ingram playing at the 2 like Tokoto, though there would be plenty of minutes for him as backing up Jackson and also playing when Jackson slides down to 4 at times. I can easily see Carolina finding 20 minutes per game for him if he earns them. This news doesn't
    push him there or anything, but it helps them.

Wasn't Tokoto heavily recruited by Duke? I seem to recall a visit at which he was serenaded at a game by calls to come to Duke.