Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

2015 NBA Early Entry [non-Duke players]

Well, with the season almost over, we are starting to hear who will be back and will be leaving. Figure we need a thread to keep track of it all...

Myles Turner, who spent one relatively uninspired season at Texas, will turn pro and is a likely lottery pick. He scored in double figures exactly once in his final 8 games and played less than half the game in each of his final four games. Well, after having that much of an impact on the college game, I don't know how he could consider anything but turning pro. Sheesh!

Also declaring is RJ Hunter, who led Georgia State to a magical season. He's projected as a mid-late first rounder and felt like he simply had to take advantage of his high draft stock. Even the prospect of playing one last season for dear old dad could not convince him to come back.

-Jason "I need to look around to find some others so this thread is kept up to date..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, with the season almost over, we are starting to hear who will be back and will be leaving. Figure we need a thread to keep track of it all...

Myles Turner, who spent one relatively uninspired season at Texas, will turn pro and is a likely lottery pick. He scored in double figures exactly once in his final 8 games and played less than half the game in each of his final four games. Well, after having that much of an impact on the college game, I don't know how he could consider anything but turning pro. Sheesh!

Also declaring is RJ Hunter, who led Georgia State to a magical season. He's projected as a mid-late first rounder and felt like he simply had to take advantage of his high draft stock. Even the prospect of playing one last season for dear old dad could not convince him to come back.

-Jason "I need to look around to find some others so this thread is kept up to date..." Evans
    Rashard Vaughn of UNLV is also declaring:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...151701382.html

As is Florida's Michael Frazier III

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...the-nba-draft/

This page is supposedly tracking it all:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...n-tracker-2015

Well, that didn't take long. RealGM has a page with all the declarations on it.

They say the following players are coming out...

• Rashad Vaughn of UNLV - Projected as a 2nd rounder, but I suppose he could move up. Why is this kid rushing to the league? He had a very good freshman season and could have been an All-American contender if he had stuck around.
    • Jarrell Martin of LSU - Might sneak in to the late first round. If he and fellow soph Jordan Mickey had stuck around, combined with incoming freshmen Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney, LSU could have been a really talented team. Martin, Mickey, and Simmons would have been among the best front-lines in all of college hoops next season. Oh well.
    • Michael Frazier of Florida - Likely undrafted. He's a great shooter but the NBA apparently thinks he just isn't big enough to play 2-guard in the league. Supposedly, he's turning pro so he can play overseas.

-Jason "there will be oh so many more names added to this list..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Junior Montrezl Harrell of Louisville was honored at senior day at Louisville because he's said he's coming out. I guess he hasn't officially declared.

I was told that sophomore Terry Rozier also wanted to be honored at senior day, but Pitino would accept his departure. That doesn't mean he won't go, just that it won't be with Pitino's blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Junior Montrezl Harrell of Louisville was honored at senior day at Louisville because he's said he's coming out. I guess he hasn't officially declared.

I was told that sophomore Terry Rozier also wanted to be honored at senior day, but Pitino would accept his departure. That doesn't mean he won't go, just that it won't be with Pitino's blessing.
    Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 30m30 minutes ago
    Louisville coach Rick Pitino has announced that Montrezl Harrell and Terry Rozier are both entering the NBA Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 30m30 minutes ago
    Louisville coach Rick Pitino has announced that Montrezl Harrell and Terry Rozier are both entering the NBA Draft.
    If projected draft rankings are to be believed, a lot of these announcements so far would be very relevant to Tyus's decision. For example, on draftexpress, Tyus is projected at 26, sandwiched between Hunter and Martin. Harrell is projected to go in the early 20s (though some others have him projected to go higher). Rozier is projected as early second round, but Chad Ford has him in the 20s. Turner has consistently been ranked in the mid-late lottery.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Harrell hasn't officially announced. Pitimo claimed they were going. Rozier confirmed with a reporter. Harrell has not yet to my knowledge.

Others Leaving include:

RJ Hunter - Georgia State
    Myles Turner - Texas

Georges Niang has announced that he is returning to Iowa State.

Yeah, but he'd have to sit out a year after transferring!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Harrell hasn't officially announced. Pitimo claimed they were going. Rozier confirmed with a reporter. Harrell has not yet to my knowledge.

Others Leaving include:

RJ Hunter - Georgia State
    Myles Turner - Texas

I think the Harrell thing was decided some time ago. Louisville honored him on their Sr night, so that one is a done deal I believe.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    So updated per this thread... Did I miss anyone?

2015 NBA Early entry List
    1. Montrez Harrell- Louisville
    2. Terry Rozier- Louisvile
    3. Myles Turner- Texas
    4. R.J. Hunter- Georgia St
    5. Rashard Vaughn- UNLV
    6. Jarrell Martin- LSU
    7. Michael Frazier- Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    So updated per this thread... Did I miss anyone?

1. Montrez Harrell- Louisville
    2. Terry Rozier- Louisvile
    3. Myles Turner- Texas
    4. R.J. Hunter- Georgia St
    5. Rashard Vaughn- UNLV
    6. Jarrell Martin- LSU
    7. Michael Frazier- Florida
    I will take the under on whether any of these 7 will average more than 5 mins a game in the NBA. I think Harrell is going to be the most disappointing of that crowd. His skill level is just not high enough, even if he will "outhustle" his opponents.

No disrespect intended. Just no obvious nba talent here.
    Windy City Devil

Jarrell Martin of LSU - Might sneak in to the late first round. If he and fellow soph Jordan Mickey had stuck around, combined with incoming freshmen Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney, LSU could have been a really talented team. Martin, Mickey, and Simmons would have been among the best front-lines in all of college hoops next season.
    As alluded to earlier, Jordan Mickey has made it official. He is also turning pro. Man, LSU could have been loaded! Oh well. Like his teammate, Mickey is not projected high enough to be certain of being a first round draft pick. He might, but he might not. What are these kids thinking? Well, I guess they are thinking that if they don't make it to the NBA, they will play overseas. What is the rush though?

And the latest news is that D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Georgetown's leading scorer, will also turn pro and hire an agent. Unlike most of the other guys, who seem to have a chance to be first rounder, Smith-Rivera simply does not have NBA size and is just not going to get drafted unless he just blows people away in workouts. He's a shooting guard who is just 6-3 and his arms aren't particularly long (his wingspan is just 6-3). 6-3 does not get it done on the wing in the NBA. By comparison, RJ Hunter (who is projected as a mid-late first rounder as a SG) is 6-5 with a wingspan of 6-9.5. Smith-Rivera has such a small chance at making the NBA, but maybe he just wanted to start his life. He's 22 and just completed his junior year at Georgetown. He had a great season and would have been a strong contender for Big East POY had he returned to the Hoyas. Really surprising loss for them that seriously affects their team next year.

So, to update Newton's list (and to put them in order of their expected draft stock)...

1. Myles Turner- Texas (mid-late lottery)
    2. Montrez Harrell- Louisville (mid-first)
    3. R.J. Hunter- Georgia St (mid-first)
    4. Terry Rozier- Louisville (late-first, early-second)
    5. Jarrell Martin- LSU (late-first, early-second)
    6. Rashard Vaughn- UNLV (second)
    7. Jordan Mickey - LSU (second)
    8. Michael Frazier- Florida (undrafted)
    9. D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera - Georgetown (undrafted)

-Jason "just my opinion from reading some draft analysis... I could be wrong" Evans

Add Kelly Oubre of Kansas to the early entry list. He had a good, but not amazing freshman season. Still, his stock is so high, he's got to go.

Also, Eastern Washington guard Tyler Harvey is reportedly entering the draft. Harvey, a soph, led the nation in 3-pointers made this season and averaged 23 ppg. He's a dynamic long-range shooter who could find his way on to the back end of a NBA roster, though he is far from a lock to even be drafted. Supposedly, he is not hiring an agent, so he may be testing the waters and could return to school.

And we apparently missed one. A few weeks ago forward Jerome Hill from Gardner-Webb declared for the draft. He's 6-5... and he's a forward... and he's not an outside shooter. Ummm, methinks he won't hear his name called on NBA draft night.

1. Myles Turner- Texas (mid-late lottery)
    2. Kelly Oubre - Kansas (late lottery)
    3. Montrez Harrell- Louisville (mid-first)
    4. R.J. Hunter- Georgia St (mid-first)
    5. Terry Rozier- Louisville (late-first, early-second)
    6. Jarrell Martin- LSU (late-first, early-second)
    7. Rashard Vaughn- UNLV (second)
    8. Jordan Mickey - LSU (second)
    9. Tyler Harvey - Eastern Washington (second)
    10. Michael Frazier- Florida (undrafted)
    11. D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera - Georgetown (undrafted)
    12. Jerome Hill - Gardner Webb (undrafted)

-Jason "lots of guys turn pro not for the NBA but because they are ready to start making money overseas" Evans

-Jason "lots of guys turn pro not for the NBA but because they are ready to start making money overseas" Evans
    There's another reason -- sometimes guy turns pro to duck out of academic trouble. I know of a Duke football player in the 1990s who turned pro early to avoid announcing that he was academically ineligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    There's another reason -- sometimes guy turns pro to duck out of academic trouble. I know of a Duke football player in the 1990s who turned pro early to avoid announcing that he was academically ineligible.
    I'm sure that happens, but I see it as a larger issue, with some guys just saying, "College isn't going to further my goals. What's next?" Some of them surely are academically capable but don't see it as the best professional path forward.

A lot of non-athletes face the same question: Why am I here? Are there better alternatives out there?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    I will take the under on whether any of these 7 will average more than 5 mins a game in the NBA. I think Harrell is going to be the most disappointing of that crowd. His skill level is just not high enough, even if he will "outhustle" his opponents.

No disrespect intended. Just no obvious nba talent here.
    I disagree vehemently. He's a big, physical kid (obviously less of an advantage at the next level) with lots of skill and a great mind for the game. He always seems to put himself in the right place to make a play and has a great head on his shoulders. I would be shocked if five years from now he's not one of a handful of players with a significant role on an NBA team from this class.

Frazier, Harvey, and Smith-Rivera are all basically the exact same player. Small guards who shoot from outside very well. I wonder why no one has sent the memo that college hoops is MADE for them and the NBA is absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I think we can pretty much pencil in Iowa State, UNC, and UVA for preseason top 10 rankings next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Frazier, Harvey, and Smith-Rivera are all basically the exact same player. Small guards who shoot from outside very well. I wonder why no one has sent the memo that college hoops is MADE for them and the NBA is absolutely not.
    That sort of ignores the point that there are other places to play professionally, and make a good living, than the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think we can pretty much pencil in Iowa State, UNC, and UVA for preseason top 10 rankings next year.
    Well, you can pencil in UNC for a preseason top 10 ranking pretty much every year. It's the postseason top 10 rankings that have been tricky for them at times.

(Not next year, though. Maybe.)