Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Banners

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    ... It's fine to have a favorite player, but at some point rationality has to kick in ...
    It's going to be really cool when they retire Patrick Davidson's as an homage to DBR ...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    It's going to be really cool when they retire Patrick Davidson's as an homage to DBR ...
    Now that is something we all can get behind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Now that could be tricky. To properly honor Patrick Davidson, we would have to retire the number 41. Not the jersey, the number. No one would ever be able to use the number 41 again, for any reason.

In case you haven't memorized where all of the banners are in Cameron, you may not be aware that there are now ONE HUNDRED banners hanging in the rafters.

You get bonus points if you can a) identify the banner that is a falsehood and should not be hanging and
    b) identify the banner that is missing and never has been hung.

I know one of you knows the answer.

And if any of you have an in with the athletic department, it would be nice if we could get this fixed.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    In case you haven't memorized where all of the banners are in Cameron, you may not be aware that there are now ONE HUNDRED banners hanging in the rafters.

You get bonus points if you can a) identify the banner that is a falsehood and should not be hanging and

And if any of you have an in with the athletic department, it would be nice if we could get this fixed.
    a) according to many here, every "ACC regular season champions" banner
    b) according to many here, the retired jersey of someone from the 2010 title team

no?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    a) according to many here, every "ACC regular season champions" banner
    b) according to many here, the retired jersey of someone from the 2010 title team

no?
    No

I'm referring to one that is a falsehood and one that is missing that shouldn't be.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Haven't made an inventory so this is a guess:

b) is the 1999 FF banner missing, never hung? (because someone(s) never graduated ?)

No idea on a)

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Haven't made an inventory so this is a guess:

b) is the 1999 FF banner missing, never hung? (because someone(s) never graduated ?)

No idea on a)
    Nope that's up. Only banner that was delayed due to graduation issues was the 1990 Final Four banner which was raised in the summer of 1999.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Honestly...no. This isn't a knock on him, but he can start by stepping behind Kyle, Nolan, and Jon. That's just from the last few years. You can go to any era (Bob Verga, Mark Alarie for example), and find great players without that honor. There's a ridiculously high bar to get your Jersey in the rafters in Cameron. This isn't the Dean Dome.
    +1, plus Dunleavy and Boozer (if he ever gets his degree) and Brand (ditto) and Carrawell.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quick question. I know they hang a final four banner regardless. Do they hang 'national runner-up' banner if we were to win Saturday and lose Monday in place of the Ff banner? Or just the ff banner ...unless we win the title?? In other words, does winning Saturday change the banner? Or do have to win it all to change the ff banner?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Quick question. I know they hang a final four banner regardless. Do they hang 'national runner-up' banner if we were to win Saturday and lose Monday in place of the Ff banner? Or just the ff banner ...unless we win the title?? In other words, does winning Saturday change the banner? Or do have to win it all to change the ff banner?
    Just Final Fours and NCs, hence no difference between what was hung in '99 (loss on Monday night) and what was hung in '04 (loss on Saturday night).

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I would think it changes the banner. But I haven't looked closely enough (or recently enough) at the banners for 1999, 1990, 1986 to know for sure.

There is no national runner up banner

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Now that could be tricky. To properly honor Patrick Davidson, we would have to retire the number 41. Not the jersey, the number. No one would ever be able to use the number 41 again, for any reason.
    Wouldn't be the first time.

a) Did someone steal the Helms Banner from UNC and hang it in Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, they have gone ahead and declared that 41 is no longer a prime number because it is divisible by "Patrick Davidson" -- a figure which is simultaneously somewhat irrational and imaginary.

I see a lot of people criticizing UNC for retiring so many jerseys. I think many of you fail to realize that UNC has only retired 8 jerseys (while Duke has retired 13). The vast majority of the jerseys in the dome's rafters are for "honored" players, guys like we're talking about above who have done great things but not quite making the very high standards of retirement. I hate defending them, but there's quite a bit of reasonableness to their approach. We in fact do something similar, but the guys who get honored don't go in the rafters, but in the hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I see a lot of people criticizing UNC for retiring so many jerseys. I think many of you fail to realize that UNC has only retired 8 jerseys (while Duke has retired 13). The vast majority of the jerseys in the dome's rafters are for "honored" players, guys like we're talking about above who have done great things but not quite making the very high standards of retirement. I hate defending them, but there's quite a bit of reasonableness to their approach. We in fact do something similar, but the guys who get honored don't go in the rafters, but in the hall of fame.
    While this may technically be true, 1) 99% of observers think of any jersey hanging in a stadium as "retired," because that is nearly always how it's done and 2) UNC loves to point up to the high volume of jerseys hanging in their rafters as an indication of their program's greatness. They can call them what they want, but hanging jerseys for the likes of Brendan Haywood, Wayne Ellington, and Harrison Barnes is a joke and absolutely cheapens the meaning of what's up there, including the value of the "retired jerseys." Just as hanging fake national championship banners also cheapens real accomplishments, just as hanging jerseys and ill-gotten banners achieved through decades of cheating...could kind of go on and on with them.

It mystifies me when people try to say that making UNC take down banners as punishment won't serve any purpose or do any good. They look at the volume of crap they put up there as the defining image of their program, and have shown that they will cut any corner, whether it's the lame "honored" criteria or cheating to win, to justify putting more up.

If you're looking for the main reason why many Duke fans are so protective of having very high criteria for hanging a jersey up, even when a player has meant a ton to the program and led his team to great accomplishments, this is probably it. Have some standards for goodness sake. Bob Verga should still probably be up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leelee902 View Post
    Does anyone think it possible that Quinny could have his jersey in the rafters if they can somehow bring home a NC????

I know, I know there are all the "unofficial requirements" I have seen beleaguered on this page and elsewhere, but it may be hard to ever hang another jersey up there with the OAD era. It is hard to argue against how awesome a year Cook has had IMO. I know great players like Scheyer, Singler, Smith, even Plumlee stayed with Duke four years and brought home banners, but they had other seniors they could co-exist with to lead the team and they didn't have to lead four(!) freshman as half of their team to the promise land! And Amile is a captain (love you, Mile!), but everyone knows Cook is the heart of this team. He stands for everything college basketball should be about -- sticking around to mature on and off the court, taking pride in your program, then finally seizing the opportunity to lead as an upperclassman.

I think he would deserve it.
    Who is Quinny?

...a) identify the banner that is a falsehood and should not be hanging and
    I'm still dying to know the answer here.