Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I was really impressed with how well Karnowski did over all in guarding Jah one on one. And his passing was tremendous, an under-rated player. I really like the team they had and sorry they had to lose.

The turning point in the game was when Wiltjer missed that easy lay up after a great Karnowski pass late in the game. That would have changed the whole completion of the game, but instead Duke went on a massive run and never looked back.

This has become a really good defensive team in the last few weeks. And Jah is due for a breakout monster game ...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Awesome game Blue Devils! Just awesome! Have to agree with Billy Dat, I am the most happy for Quinn Cook. He finally got those nets and a Banner that will hang in Cameron forevermore, and now he gets a true shot at the biggest banner of them all. Could not be happier for that young man!

Matt Freakin Jones and Justise The Beast Winslow!! I have no idea who votes for MOP but Justise won that MOP and it wasn't even close. Tyus was good today but Justise brought it for both games. But if that is all we have to complain about then life is good! In addition to the four 3's and two layups, Matt played great defense, with key steals, one of which was huge. Justise also played great D and had several key rebounds on both ends. Those two guys carried the load on offense.

But what a team effort on defense, and what a coaching job by the Master. K slowed the game down early in the 2nd half and went all in on halfcourt defense taking us to Indy, and the guys responded. Props to whoever it was in the pre-game thread that said Jah can and would play great post defense! Great call. Jah was great on that end. That is partly what drained his energy and slowed him offensively as well. Great job by Quinn all day on Pangos too. Like with Jah, that defensive effort also likely slowed Quinn a little on offense but he still made timely buckets and free throws.

Well done Blue Devils!! ON TO INDY!!! Another Final Four and a great chance to play on Monday where anything can happen!

CONGRATS TO THE SOUTH REGION CHAMPION DUKE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was very confident in my pregame comments that Coach K would ride the starters hard. Bench minutes:

Jefferson - 20
    Plumlee - 8
    Allen - 3
    Barring fouls, injuries, or a large lead, that would be my prediction for the rest of the tournament. There's a pretty large drop after our top 6. Maybe Plumlee or Allen gets hot in the first half and K plays him significant second-half minutes, but I think less likely than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Heard Barles Charkley on K's radio show recently. There's a lot of mutual respect there. He just picked wrong.
    Agree about the respect. Whatever year it was (Kyrie's year) when we lost to Arizona, Barkley called that so he had my attention when he picked Utah Friday but we know how that worked out ... so he can just keep on not picking us!!

And, Kenny gave us full credit right of the bat today calling us by name "Duke University" and not "that school from Durham. It's just his schtick - imho - I enjoy listening to them both and usually learn something.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by rfaison View Post
    Agree about the respect. Whatever year it was (Kyrie's year) when we lost to Arizona, Barkley called that so he had my attention when he picked Utah Friday but we know how that worked out ... so he can just keep on not picking us!!

And, Kenny gave us full credit right of the bat today calling us by name "Duke University" and not "that school from Durham. It's just his schtick - imho - I enjoy listening to them both and usually learn something.
    Yeah, it's kind of silly to think Barkley doesn't like Duke or K just because he picked Gonzaga to win. Gonzaga has a great team and could have won that game. Picking them is no huge sin or anything. I thought he gave honest and sincere props to K and Duke after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I disagree with you evaluation of Jah. He did what was needed in both games - he occupied two defenders most of the time. That is huge for the team. It is not all about statistics.
    I was thinking about this, too! Jahlil doesn't have to score to be a very large chunk of our offense. Gravity (as someone mentioned above) intended.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

What a fun weekend of college basketball. Some incredibly close games and the Duke players responded to every run that Utah and Gonzaga threw at them. Great effort, some great D, and headed to the FF.

I'm so glad I stayed away from the in-game thread during the game...Matt Jones was apparently getting pummeled by the DBR posters, but he did the pummeling on the court. Keep the faith.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity79 View Post
    . . . but in the keepin' it real category, don't forget that beating Michigan St. and then Kentucky will require a Herculean effort coupled with a stern and terrible resolve.

Give 'em Hell Duke!
    Can we enjoy the final four for a day before discussing those games? And if Duke wins Sat they will be playing Wisconsin for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    What a fun weekend of college basketball. Some incredibly close games and the Duke players responded to every run that Utah and Gonzaga threw at them. Great effort, some great D, and headed to the FF.

I'm so glad I stayed away from the in-game thread during the game...Matt Jones was apparently getting pummeled by the DBR posters, but he did the pummeling on the court. Keep the faith.
    Wha?

I wish I had been there to stick up for him@

Great ending to a good weekend of basketball. And a weird ending to Duke/Gonzaga. It was a 5-point lead, I nervously walked out the kitchen to set the table. By the time I got to the table it was 14-point lead, or that's how it felt. If any Zags fans are looking in (not likely), I've got a lot of respect for their program, if they played anyone else but Duke, I would've been pulling for them this weekend.

Great tournament, I love this group of kids, on to Michigan State, 6:09 Easter Time Saturday can't get here soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post

No one killed Matt today. Some got down on him for his play during the Utah game but I bet even Matt's mom would have said that wasn't his best game. Glad he didn't let it impact his defense or his confidence going into this game. He was HUGE today.

Post-game presser?

Anyone have a link to the K post-game press conference?

Quote Originally Posted by dairedevil View Post
    Better not overlook the Spartans - they've got the revenge factor, and Izzo is a good coach.
    Sorry to disagree but Tom Izzo is not a good coach , Tom Izzo is a GREAT COACH. One of the 5 best in college basketball today, if not in the top 3

Very happy for Duke! They have peaked at the right time!!! Couldn't be happier for the program and our fans!

Defense has really stepped up too. It seemed as if Coach K's defense takes a very long time to fully learn.

Justise is looking more and more like a top 3-5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I've been saving it for a couple of weeks, but it's now safe to say...

Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones: the OAD to the Final Four.
    Okafor, yes, though his star has dimmed the last two games.

Winslow, yes, absolutely. He looks like the best pro of anyone in college right now.

Tyus? No. He has kind of lost his mojo just a bit. Does not seem like more than a pretty good to good college PG right now. His drives to the basket are mostly ineffective, though he picks up a fair number of foul calls. His handle is good, not great. Quickness is pretty good, not great. Shooting from outside is streaky. He used to have several GREAT passes every game with the rest being good. Now I see fewer great passes with a reduced number of good passes.

I don't know what's going on with him, but he does not seem like the same player, though he made the regional tourney team. Obviously, with Duke winning the region they had to pick mostly Duke players. Thank goodness for his free throw shooting. That part of his game is excellent. That's a given for an NBA guard, though. Well, unless you're Austin Rivers.

Don't get me wrong. I love Tyus Jones as a college player. He is my favorite Duke PG since Jason, though JW did play 2-guard, also. I just don't see Tyus as an NBA player right now, that's all.
    Last edited by Steven43; 03-29-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post

- Correct me if I'm wrong Troublemaker, but Duke is 4-0 against the spread in the tournament so far while UK is 1-3. I think this bodes well for us should both teams make it to Monday - and not just for covering.
    Duke is also 4-0 straight up as an underdog this year which bodes well for a potential UK matchup since Duke will be about a 4 point underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Get back but two quick questions - why do you think the last two games have been such struggles for jah? Low points, less ability to throw to an open shooter when doubled and also he seems to be playing farther from the basket a lot. Be a Big man. Thoughts?? (I know he was told to play at the free throw line in second half today but I mean last two games total - 80 minutes vs Utah and Gonzaga Jah seems to not even be getting many of his typical attempts from close in we saw all season. It's like he isn't strong enough or trying hard enough to post hard. Gonzaga big man shoved jah under the basket a few times when Gonzaga was on O. Rarely saw Jah within 5 feet of basket where he should be. Help me understand.

Don't misread this. I am elated. But like they say ( or jimmy at the end of Hoosiers taking the shot) - your big time players gotta be big time in the big games. We can't just have Jah as a decoy next week. He needs to put up a 15/10. He can't just distract two defenders. He needs to produce a little more... Help me understand how Utah and Gonzaga have done so well against him. Thanks!
    Gonzaga fronted him. For some reason we didn't do a pin and lob. He was really tired at the end. He wasn't even trying to post up for the last 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post
    Sorry to disagree but Tom Izzo is not a good coach , Tom Izzo is a GREAT COACH. One of the 5 best in college basketball today, if not in the top 3
    Absolutely one of the best. I don't think anyone is looking past Michigan State.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of silly to think Barkley doesn't like Duke or K just because he picked Gonzaga to win. Gonzaga has a great team and could have won that game. Picking them is no huge sin or anything. I thought he gave honest and sincere props to K and Duke after the game.
    He picked Utah as well.

Quote Originally Posted by duke3517 View Post

justise is looking more and more like a top 3-5 pick.

plus tax