Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I'm now, after reading some of these replies, left with the impression that if what Smith's wishes were to be, that his former lettermen all enjoy a fine meal, he would have been better served to have given the money to a specific restaurant and instructions that those lettermen get together at that restaurant at an agreed upon date and time.
    How is that better?

It sounds like a real pain. Everyone has to fly in on a specific date to eat at a specific restaurant? Taste is subjective. My favorite dish at my favorite restaurant is grilled octopus and mortadella. I recognize that is not a fine meal for some. Likewise, just as the idea of going to Cheesecake Factory is abhorrent to me, many people just love the place.

Well, I guess it's not against NCAA rules.

Wish they would've provided a link with an explanation, but it is what it is.

Screenshot_2015-03-28-20-51-07.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Well, I guess it's not against NCAA rules. Wish they would've provided a link with an explanation, but it is what it is
    Perfect find. Well, almost perfect; I thought I was done with the topic, and now they've left me curious again. Any explanation might have relevance to the NCAA's current legal issues.

Citation needed? Or does the NCAA announce findings by twitter now?

In invisible ink, the NCAA's tweet continues: "On the other hand..."

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    First and foremost, this is a very generous act by Coach Smith. Not to nit-pick it to death, but doesn't the estate have to be close to being fully closed out before it can make disbursements like this? I know he has been sick for a while so there was no surprise in his death, but it usually takes a while to do all of the filing, etc. to administer an estate. Odd that they could send the checks out so quickly.
    A surviving spouse from a good marriage and an uncontroversial will makes for a quick settlement of an estate.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Are you serious? I just checked: it is March 26, not April 1.

Even if the man was alive, can't a retired college basketball coach give anything she/he wants to a former player, so long as it falls under the IRS annual gift exclusion amount? Under what rule? I fail to see how it benefits the school at which they formerly played or coached. If you indeed are serious, is the notion that current players have an expectation of a free dinner out some decades in the future? Seems far-fetched.

Given that he's dead, I especially can't see how the NCAA could prohibit it. Some of these guys may be life long friends. To say you can't leave something to a friend ... just because they played basketball for you years ago ... seems crazy.

But hey, what do I know. Sometimes the world is crazy.
    I think Jason's post after yours explains the problem here. As soon as one school gets a sanctioned way to hand cash to ex-players, the Kentucky's of the world will be on that lickity split.

Can't the NCAA just declare thia a secondary violation? My understanding is that declaring it a secondary violation is basically the NCAA saying, "this is a violation, but probably no harm is done, so we're acknowledging it happened but not doing anything."

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    A surviving spouse from a good marriage and an uncontroversial will makes for a quick settlement of an estate.
    Lessee... He's dead. Moreover, his players last played at UNC 15 years ago. Does anyone really think the NCAA can or should tell the about-to-pass Dean Smith (or his executors) what he can do with his estate?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I think Jason's post after yours explains the problem here. As soon as one school gets a sanctioned way to hand cash to ex-players, the Kentucky's of the world will be on that lickity split.

Can't the NCAA just declare thia a secondary violation? My understanding is that declaring it a secondary violation is basically the NCAA saying, "this is a violation, but probably no harm is done, so we're acknowledging it happened but not doing anything."
    And then there is the bequest of 100k from Burgess McSwain's estate to Debbie Crowder, to 'take care of her dogs'...maybe I don't have the details exactly right, but all the folks in Orange County have everyone's best interests in mind, and are absolutely on the up-and-up. Or somethings like that.
    (personally, I think that was a neat gesture from Dean, but I also think he wasn't planning on it being headline news, either.)

If this thread were a horse, I'd shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    If this thread were a horse, I'd shoot it.

Hahaha, definitely the post of the month.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Some might be willing to say if this horse were a thread, they'd ride it.

I'm choosin' to be shootin'.