Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10 Bold Predictions (espn)

Today on ESPN, the lead story on the front page is Myron Medcalf makes "10 Bold Predictions" for the Sweet 16, starting with No. 1 Utah to upset Duke. He also picks UNC to lose by double digits and Louisville to stifle NC State.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ah-upsets-duke

The web site proudly proclaims that his predictions "aren't going to go down well on Tobacco Road."

Well, I'm on Tobacco Road and I'm jumping for joy? Why? Because this is the second year in a row that Metcalf has written this article. And a year ago, he went 0-for-10! That's right 0-for-10.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/espns-my...16-predictions

It's going to be fun to track Medcalf's latest predictions. He's got to do better than last year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's going to be fun to track Medcalf's latest predictions. He's got to do better than last year, right?
    He can't do worse
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He can't do worse
    Nowhere to go but up!

I know one prediction he'll have wrong! LGD GTHc
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

At the risk of asking an impertinent question -- who the hell is Myron Medcalf?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Or, who the hell cares?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Of course none of these predictions is all that bold - picking a team favored by 5 to lose a close game or win by 10 or more may not be safe, but it's far from unlikely.

He's from Minnesota. He covered Minnesota basketball a few years back for the Minneapolis Star I believe.

I wonder if they'll discontinue this column next year if he goes 0-20. I for one will be keeping score on how he does.

I'd be OK if he went 1 for 10 with the one correct prediction being borderline incorrect (UNC loses by 99 ).

Regardless of what he says or does not say about Duke, Medcalf has grown on me. I am kind of indifferent to his writing, but his twitter presence during game play is pretty funny. At first, I thought he was ridiculous, almost like Stu Scott (RIP) with really corny street-style musings laundered for a more mainstream audience. Medcalf does the same kind of stuff, but his is more tongue in cheek, he knows he is being ridiculous...at least I think he does. I went from being really annoyed by him to him making me laugh quite a bit.

For example:

Myron Medcalf @MedcalfByESPN · Mar 22
    Kevin Pangos probably listens to Ghostface Killah tracks before every game.

Iowa band jamming right now, playing Earth, Wind & Fire's "September." ... Ya'll don't know nothin' bout no Earth, Wind & Fire.

Izzo probably wears nothing but silk when he's not coaching.

Myron Medcalf @MedcalfByESPN · Mar 21
    That's somebody's child, Willie Cauley-Stein!

Myron Medcalf @MedcalfByESPN · Mar 20
    Dexter Werner don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Regardless of what he says or does not say about Duke, Medcalf has grown on me. I am kind of indifferent to his writing, but his twitter presence during game play is pretty funny. At first, I thought he was ridiculous, almost like Stu Scott (RIP) with really corny street-style musings laundered for a more mainstream audience. Medcalf does the same kind of stuff, but his is more tongue in cheek, he knows he is being ridiculous...at least I think he does. I went from being really annoyed by him to him making me laugh quite a bit.

For example:

Iowa band jamming right now, playing Earth, Wind & Fire's "September." ... Ya'll don't know nothin' bout no Earth, Wind & Fire.

Izzo probably wears nothing but silk when he's not coaching.

Myron Medcalf @MedcalfByESPN · Mar 21
    That's somebody's child, Willie Cauley-Stein!

Myron Medcalf @MedcalfByESPN · Mar 20
    Dexter Werner don't care.
    Twitter's a great marketing tool for the mediocre seeking relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Twitter's a great marketing tool for the mediocre seeking relevance.
    Hey, man. 61,821,087 Justin Bieber followers can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Is Monsieur Killah still relevant? Post Wu-Tang, i.e..
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Two games in, looks like 0-for-2 so far.

Got to give Medcalf credit -- after two years, he finally got one prediction right ... No. 5 -- Kentucky to win by at least 15.

But after the first night of the regional semifinals, he's 1-3 -- he missed badly on No. 2 (double-digit loss by UNC ... in fact they never trailed by double digits in the entire game); No. 7 (Notre Dame-Wichita State decided by a buzzer beater ... in fact, Notre Dame dominated and won by double digits); and No. 8 (Hollis Jefferson to have 18 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks ... he had five points and 2 rebounds and 1 assist).

Not going to dock him yet from the prediction that B. Koening is going to spark Wisconsin to the Final Four, even though Koenig was a minor factor in tonight's win (he fouled out with nine points on 2-of-9 shooting). He could still play a big role if Wisconsin beats Arizona Saturday. But I wouldn't count on it.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Got to give Medcalf credit -- after two years, he finally got one prediction right ... No. 5 -- Kentucky to win by at least 15.

But after the first night of the regional semifinals, he's 1-3.
    It's debatable that KY winning by at least 15 is a bold prediction. How about 1-3 with an asterisk?

Go Duke.

Is he Dickie V's lackey?

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    It's debatable that KY winning by at least 15 is a bold prediction. How about 1-3 with an asterisk?
    Kentucky was a 14 point favorite and he says "win by 15" is a "bold prediction?" Essentially, his "bold prediction" was "Kentucky will cover the spread."

Wow... impressive!

-Jason "yawn" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With nothing to lose

I'll say the Kentucky/Notre Dame contest will be decided in overtime.

That's bolder than predicting a winner!

Yea, but could he have predicted Kennedy Meeks would have had such a quick recovery from his life threatening knee injury? He didn't just play, he STARTED! And was healthy enough to commit 4 fouls!