Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ... FWIW, [ol' roy's] total compensation from UNC (salary plus bonus) is under $2 million, ... . Coach K's income from Duke is much, much higher (same article).
    That would explain why ol' roy wears jackets he gets from resale shops

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    while you seem to be asking the question in jest, in fact they have not finished paying Mr. Hewitt.
    Unless something changed or was misrepresented, he got a buyout to be paid over five years, beginning in 2011.
    I knew someone at George Mason, and evidently Hewitt liked to gloat about all that Yellowjacket money flowing in each year.
    Well, it's nice he has something to gloat about, because he sure can't gloat about George Mason's performance under his leadership--66-67 overall, 9-22 this year.

AND--it's just been announced he will not return next season.

I think Roy's jackets are custom made

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That would explain why ol' roy wears jackets he gets from resale shops
    I don't think you can buy those jackets anywhere.

Now the 1970's couches that Roy has skinned to provide the material for the jackets, those can probably be found in your local thrift shop.

ACC and ACC-adjacent news:

Georgia Tech retains Brian Gregory. "Former coach Paul Hewitt is still owed the remaining $3.6 million of his $7.2 million buyout, payable over the next four years in $900,000 installments. The school would be on the hook for another $2.4 million for Gregory’s buyout over the next three years, including an installment of $1.075 million next season. So Tech’s payout to two ex-coaches next season would be $1.975 million. That’s even before needing to pay an entire new coaching staff."

Speaking of, George Mason fires Paul Hewitt. "Hewitt had one year remaining on a contract that paid him about $750,000 annually, one of the highest salaries for a Virginia state employee."

And Penn hires former BC and Cornell coach Steve Donahue. "Having been a part of Philadelphia and Penn basketball for the greater part of my life, I have a great passion for this city and this program. I spent 10 extraordinary years as an assistant here at Penn working with one of the great head coaches in all of college basketball, Fran Dunphy."

Jeff Goodman's Twitter also reports that San Diego and Northern Kentucky have fired their coaches, and that UNLV's Dave Rice is retained for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    ACC and ACC-adjacent news:

Georgia Tech retains Brian Gregory. "Former coach Paul Hewitt is still owed the remaining $3.6 million of his $7.2 million buyout, payable over the next four years in $900,000 installments. The school would be on the hook for another $2.4 million for Gregory’s buyout over the next three years, including an installment of $1.075 million next season. So Tech’s payout to two ex-coaches next season would be $1.975 million. That’s even before needing to pay an entire new coaching staff."

Speaking of, George Mason fires Paul Hewitt. "Hewitt had one year remaining on a contract that paid him about $750,000 annually, one of the highest salaries for a Virginia state employee."

And Penn hires former BC and Cornell coach Steve Donahue. "Having been a part of Philadelphia and Penn basketball for the greater part of my life, I have a great passion for this city and this program. I spent 10 extraordinary years as an assistant here at Penn working with one of the great head coaches in all of college basketball, Fran Dunphy."

Jeff Goodman's Twitter also reports that San Diego and Northern Kentucky have fired their coaches, and that UNLV's Dave Rice is retained for another year.
    Brian Gregory is a good coach, if he can get some players and some poise from his team he will be good for Tech.

Paul Hewitt caught lightning in a bottle one year, but is otherwise horrible.

I like Donahue, hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Brian Gregory is a good coach, if he can get some players and some poise from his team he will be good for Tech.

Paul Hewitt caught lightning in a bottle one year, but is otherwise horrible.

I like Donahue, hope he does well.
    Yes, Hewitt has been really unimpressive since his Final Four year at Tech. His first year at George Mason he did pretty well, running the team that Larranaga had assembled. But the next year the team was significantly worse, and then they moved from the CAA to the Atlantic 10. GMU under Hewitt was in no way ready for that transition.

Brian Gregory is a good coach, if he can get some players
    That's a pretty huge if right now. He only has one guy signed for next year, a 3 star PF. His recruiting classes have gone steadily downhill over his four years, and he's really not able to attract the local talent like he did when he first got there. Even if GT had a more reasonable record in close games, They were still not likely to finish at .500 in the league and not likely to make the postseason. I know I read that they claim to be able to make the numbers work, but I think this as much about being able to afford the right coach for the future as it is wanting to give Gregory another shot after 4 years.

In fact, this year would have been a great time for GT to transition. A new coach would have a couple of seniors in Georges Hunt and Mitchell who are both local and haven't graduated, so they are unlikely to transfer. There's not too much of a recruiting class to have to hang on to so a new coach would have room to maybe snag a player or two in the spring (though a hire would need to be made very quickly for that). It also seems unlikely that any other ACC job will become available this year so the competition for a coach would be fairly low, with Alabama and maybe Miss. St. being the only competition regionally in terms of a power 5 job. I think at the end of the day though, they have a hard time justifying the money for no guarantees.

Alabama

I haven't posted on here in quite a few years, but I read something on my FB page that caught my attention. There is some talk in Buffalo that Alabama is showing some interest in Bobby Hurley to replace Grant. Has anyone else heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by EKU1969 View Post
    I haven't posted on here in quite a few years, but I read something on my FB page that caught my attention. There is some talk in Buffalo that Alabama is showing some interest in Bobby Hurley to replace Grant. Has anyone else heard this?
    For Bobby's sake, I hope the interest is not mutual.

Lot of speculation that Archie Miller of Dayton is Bama's first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    For Bobby's sake, I hope the interest is not mutual.
    I'd like to see Bobby Hurley as Coach K's successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't see Miller jumping to Bama so fast. To be perfectly honest, Dayton is a much better job than Alabama right now. The A-10 Has gotten 21 bids to the SEC's 20 over the last 5 years, so accessibility to at large bids isn't a problem. UD's arena is just about as big as Alabama's (13,000+ to 15,000+), and I guarantee UD does a better job filling it. UD fans are nuts about the basketball team, certainly more so than Alabama fans. The only big advantage Alabama can offer is money, but I bet Miller can and will wait for a better offer If he wants to leave at all. Coaches aren't just jumping at any power conference offer anymore to be dumped in 4-6 years if they don't reach unreasonable expectations.

Agree with all the above and I just don't see Hurley jumping to Alabama after two years of head coaching experience. Getting UB to the Dance in two years is impressive, considering it's their first ever appearance.

There is talk about Hurley in both Buffalo and Bama about Hurley

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._be_ala_1.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...abama-job.html

The people of Alabama are more basketball savvy than I thought, they prefer Hurley 3 to 1 over Ben Howland!

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._be_ala_1.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...abama-job.html

The people of Alabama are more basketball savvy than I thought, they prefer Hurley 3 to 1 over Ben Howland!
    Doesn't sound like any "real" talk to me, especially since the Buffalo story is just picking up the Alabama story of "Hey, which of these people we just picked would you guys like?" Of course, real talk about Hurley would have to wait until his current team is done playing! BTW, how nice of them to have the Greg Marshall pipe dream.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'd suspect that Archie is a lot of schools' first choice. Including State, once Gottfried wears out his welcome (or they tire of his mediocrity, like Herb.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'd suspect that Archie is a lot of schools' first choice. Including State, once Gottfried wears out his welcome (or they tire of his mediocrity, like Herb.)
    Hasn't Gottfried made the tournament a number of years in a row now? It seems to me that (as much as I was pulling for Sydney Lowe) he has the best results in Raleigh since Valvano left.

Hasn't Gottfried made the tournament a number of years in a row now? It seems to me that (as much as I was pulling for Sydney Lowe) he has the best results in Raleigh since Valvano left.
    Gottfried is one of only three ACC coaches to make the big dance in each of his first four years.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Gottfried is one of only three ACC coaches to make the big dance in each of his first four years.
    Beware the sleeping Pack. From one who saw the in the 50's.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    And Herb made it to the NCAAs his last five years.

Perhaps beating Duke and the Cheaters the same year will give him more time, but not if he slips back to losing almost all the games to those two. And not advancing far in the tournament.