Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Maybe. I still think it's hilarious (and pathetic) that they dug in with that editorial.
    And even worse -- saying "hey, guys, don't you go rushing to judgment now"

Yup. It's everyone else's fault that they read an article based on hearsay, rumor and innuendo, and which insinuated a causal connection between tawdry allegations and high-profile actions -- all under the cone of silence from various high-profile people and administrators. "But don't draw any conclusions from that."

Dipwads.

SI headline

Isn't the key point of the article that Sheed was investigated, and not enough information was found to continue investigation?

That's what I took from article. Leading with "Not currently being investigated" and burying the most interesting information a few graphs kinda misses the key point.

Seems like from the info we're getting close to the 'well that settles that' point (assuming SI sources is valid, etc. - big ifs I know), but it's not presented that way here.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Seth Davis does a good job of summarizing the situation in a more objective fashion in his weekly mailbag this week, separating what was actually reported by The Chronicle and what is being reported by other media outlets. It's a shame this won't get as much coverage as other things.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...rse-final-four
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

It seems the more that comes out, the more the Chronicle looks like the bad guy. That being said, I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus. Lord knows I've made my fair share of mistakes, mine luckily have not affected others as much as this Chronicle article did/could.

I am proud of our Coach and school to have the class not to come out and bash whoever wrote the article. They have dealt with this whole situation with nothing but class, but with Coach K, it is hard to expect anything less.

Allegations like this are much bigger than basketball, and I do hope in the end the truth comes to light. I just hope if/when it does the reporting agency handles it a lot better than this. At this time it seems like the school and the basketball program did everything they could up to this point. That is all we can ask for for the moment.

All I hope is that the facts come out, and if they make Duke look good or bad, they get the truth out there as much as this false accusation story. Hopefully this is a lesson for young journalist, and journalist everywhere for that matter.

I'm going to try to make this, my first post in this thread, as short as possible. After reading almost every word in this thread, I have not read one word of what the alleged victims actually said when they told of the alleged offenses. Also, I don't know of a single thing the University, Dr. White or Coach K can say openly to the media. So why are all you people still talking about it? Can anyone answer that for me? I'll close with a suggestion that you go back and read posts 439 and 444 in this thread. Pay attention, people,

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I'm going to try to make this, my first post in this thread, as short as possible. After reading almost every word in this thread, I have not read one word of what the alleged victims actually said when they told of the alleged offenses. Also, I don't know of a single thing the University, Dr. White or Coach K can say openly to the media. So why are all you people still talking about it? Can anyone answer that for me? I'll close with a suggestion that you go back and read posts 439 and 444 in this thread. Pay attention, people,
    Just waiting for it to die out Jarhead. Here comes the ACC tourney!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Seth Davis does a good job of summarizing the situation in a more objective fashion in his weekly mailbag this week, separating what was actually reported by The Chronicle and what is being reported by other media outlets. It's a shame this won't get as much coverage as other things.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...rse-final-four
    Good article, it also brings up a good point that a good friend of mine, a Duke fan, but not a K fan (they do exist), keeps asking.

From the Article:
    There has also been a widespread assumption that these conversations led to Krzyzewski’s decision to dismiss Sulaimon from the program. I would be careful about connecting those dots. Clearly, everything about Sulaimon’s tenure in the program went into that decision, but I still believe that the final straw was something that occurred during Duke’s trip to Notre Dame.
    He brings up 2 interesting questions

It is suspicious that the dismissal happened right after Lincoln Wensley resigned stating the "rumors" as issues.

If the dismissal wasn't a result of the rumors, then he CAN talk about it in more detail.
    If it he can't talk about it, that means that it WAS a result of the rumors. Then why did it take 10 months?

K's silence in this sense actually makes him and the program look more guilty. Wouldn't he want to go into MORE detail if he could protect his name and his program.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    It is suspicious that the dismissal happened right after Lincoln Wensley resigned stating the "rumors" as issues.

If the dismissal wasn't a result of the rumors, then he CAN talk about it in more detail.
    If it he can't talk about it, that means that it WAS a result of the rumors. Then why did it take 10 months? ...
    It is suspicious. One possibility: RS did -- let's say -- ten things over time that were hassles for K and the program. One or two of the ten things involved allegations for which the university investigated RS, but did not punish him for, per the SI article. Maybe RS was totally innocent, or maybe he showed bad judgment, or maybe he did something truly heinous --- but it was nothing the university could prove or punish him for -- but that one or those two things go into the mix of "Is RS meeting the obligations of someone in our program?". Then, yet another straw is placed on the camel's back @ND, and K dismisses RS.

In this totally-made-up-as-far-as-I-know scenario, is the dismissal a result of the subject of the rumors? Kinda/sorta, but not entirely, and maybe not predominantly, and the rumors are not the final issue (that is, the rumors are not the last, most recent straw).

And K does not feel comfortable airing all of RS's dirty laundry. RS was dismissed -- that says a lot, no need to pile on, and perhaps there are some legal prohibitions on discussing some of which went into the mix in making that decision.

Per SI, Duke investigated -- so, Duke took action. Whether Duke did a good job, came to the right conclusion, etc ... we have no idea, but it doesn't sound like a coverup.

Good article, it also brings up a good point that a good friend of mine, a Duke fan, but not a K fan (they do exist), keeps asking.

If it he can't talk about it, that means that it WAS a result of the rumors. Then why did it take 10 months?

K's silence in this sense actually makes him and the program look more guilty. Wouldn't he want to go into MORE detail if he could protect his name and his program.
    Or it was somewhere in between, and the actions which resulted in the rumors may have been part of a pattern of behavior which, as K HAS PUBLICLY STATED, failed to live up to the standards of Duke Basketball. In which case neither of your scenarios are applicable or relevant.

Or K, Duke Basketball and Duke University are aware that anything that K says at this point will be parsed, hashed and dissected by the national media in an attempt to jump to conclusions in the exact fashion that you have when, in reality, saying "no comment" and not dragging Suliamon's name through the mud any further or risking defamation of character issues or lawsuits related to loss of future earnings is probably the more prudent course of action.

Other than satiating an annoying portion of the fan base that feels its their right to demand answers to irrelevant questions, I'm not sure what K, Duke or Sheed have to gain from anymore discussion on this topic.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I did not want to rebump this thread, but since it was back at the top -- I agree with Jarhead. Absent any new information, the only thing we seem to be discussing is an off-topic issue about journalism. And perhaps we've worn that out already too.

Tempest raised, tempest raged, tempus fugit. Let 'er sink.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I did not want to rebump this thread, but since it was back at the top -- I agree with Jarhead. Absent any new information, the only thing we seem to be discussing is an off-topic issue about journalism. And perhaps we've worn that out already too.

Tempest raised, tempest raged, tempus fugit. Let 'er sink.
    Actually, as time goes by, we are finding things out and sorting out what we know in a satisfactory manner. Journalism, or the lack of its spirit, has been the focal point since the beginning, for some very obvious reasons.
    Last edited by killerleft; 03-06-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: sp.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Actually, as time goes by, we are finding things out and sorting out what we know in a satisfactory manner. Journalism, or the lack of its spirit, has been the focal point since the beginning, for some very obvious reasons.
    I find it useful to identify those talking heads who have speculated irresponsibly and tried their best to smear Coach K, and Duke in general.

Dan LeBatard, Bomani Jones, and Dan Bernstein (based in Chicago; a Duke alum) are certainly on that list. A pox on them.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...e12794849.html

Keeley is a REPORTER!!!!!!!!! This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, no time for dancing, or lovey dovey, she ain't got time for that now!!!!!! (reference to her series of tweets the other day)
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

can we FINALLY stop beating this dead horse???

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post

Keeley is a REPORTER!!!!!!!!! This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, no time for dancing, or lovey dovey, she ain't got time for that now!!!!!! (reference to her series of tweets the other day)
    The lede:

Duke’s office of student conduct opened an investigation into claims against former men’s basketball player Rasheed Sulamion last year and closed it when the claims could not be substantiated, Bob Ekstrand, Sulaimon’s lawyer, confirmed Thursday night.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post

"Duke’s office of student conduct opened an investigation into claims against former men’s basketball player Rasheed Sulamion last year and closed it when the claims could not be substantiated, Bob Ekstrand, Sulaimon’s lawyer, confirmed Thursday night."

Life During Wartime is over.

(Why go to college? Why go to night school? What'll be different this time???)

Hi,

IMO, all the facts can never surface in these scenarios. I'm a CEO and have had to terminate staff. It's, without a doubt, the hardest part of my job. I hate it, only inform my Board of Directors of all the details, get questioned by staff and customers constantly, and never share the truth publicly. Other than court records, nothing is made public. Replacing capable people, who make bad choices, is very costly to our firm and them.

This is a private matter, that needs to remain private. Of course, Duke basketball will pay a price this season, when recruiting, in P.R., etc. Clearly, Rasheed has and will continue to pay a price. This is the last thing anyone wants, lose-lose.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Neither of the media members who questioned K on this are familiar to me. In other words, they are not regulars.
    Hi Jim,

In your opinion, what motivates media to continue questioning an individual when they know the person cannot publicly answer? What is their true purpose and intent?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I find it useful to identify those talking heads who have speculated irresponsibly and tried their best to smear Coach K, and Duke in general.

Dan LeBatard, Bomani Jones, and Dan Bernstein (based in Chicago; a Duke alum) are certainly on that list. A pox on them.
    Don't forget Pat Forde.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    can we FINALLY stop beating this dead horse???
    It hasn't even been 24 hours since the last big news in a story that has been getting national attention. What are you talking about?