Undefeated in February -- good sign?

The hypothesis is that playing good basketball in February should be a good indicator of post-season success.

Recent history:
    2010 8-0 in Feb; ACC Champs; NCAA Champs
    2011 7-1 in Feb; ACC Champs; Lost to AZ in Sweet 16
    2012 8-1 in Feb; L to FSU in ACC; Lost to Lehigh 1st game NCAA
    2013 6-2 in Feb; L to MD in ACC; Lost to Louisville in Final 8
    2014 6-2 in Feb; L to UVa ACC finals; Lost to Mercer 1st game NCAA
    2015 8-0 in Feb

Previous national champs in 1991, 1992, and 2001 did lose games in February

Not sure if there is a real connection to post-season success, but I'm glad to see this team play together so well in February and win some tough games.

I'm very comfortable where this team is at this point, especially considering the loss of a player in Dec and a contributor in January and Jah's ankle injury for a brief period. I think this team has grown and like where they are. I'd like to see better on-ball defense for sure, but I noticed great ball movement on O against the 'Cuse. Very happy with that. Lots of potential for a deep run.

We had our share of close calls in February but we were able to pull out wins each time. That's a great trait to have in a one and done tournament. I just wish we could give our stellar starting backcourt some more bench time. Grayson Allen could play a big role ACC/NCAA tourney time if he can turn another corner in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'm very comfortable where this team is at this point...
    This communicates my feelings succinctly. The team is playing confident basketball.
    Bob Green

That's a cool stat.

I'd prefer to go undefeated in March. We've only done it twice before. 2001 and 1992. Those were good years.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    That's a cool stat.

I'd prefer to go undefeated in March. We've only done it twice before. 2001 and 1992. Those were good years.
    My personal preference would be to go undefeated in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My personal preference would be to go undefeated in April.
    Well, if we don't make it to the Final Four, we'd be undefeated in April.

I like March. Let's stick with March.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Well, if we don't make it to the Final Four, we'd be undefeated in April.

I like March. Let's stick with March.
    A fine point I hadn't considered. I'll still go with April, but I want a non-zero winning percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The hypothesis is that playing good basketball in February should be a good indicator of post-season success.
    While this isn't Duke related, it is similar to this hypothesis. One would expect being undefeated during the regular season would indicate a good chance to become NCAA Tourney champs.

Rest easy, chances are UK will not become the NCAA champs this year. The last undefeated champion was the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    A fine point I hadn't considered. I'll still go with April, but I want a non-zero winning percentage.
    technically the winning percentage is "undefined"
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    While this isn't Duke related, it is similar to this hypothesis. One would expect being undefeated during the regular season would indicate a good chance to become NCAA Tourney champs.

Rest easy, chances are UK will not become the NCAA champs this year. The last undefeated champion was the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers
    Well, 7 out of 9 teams that were undefeated in the regular season were national champions:

1956 San Fran (Bill Russell)
    1957 UNC (ugh)
    1964 UCLA (beat Duke in the big game)
    1967 UCLA (Lew Alcindor)
    1972 UCLA (Bill Walton)
    1973 UCLA (also Walton)
    1976 Indiana (as you mentioned)

The ones that didn't:
    1979 Indiana State (Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson)
    1991 UNLV (can't remember what happened there)

Intentionally leaving out old school teams that were undefeated that didn't play in the tournament.

I could also include 2004 St Joseph's (Jameer Nelson) that was undefeated in the regular season and lost in their conference tournament as well as in the Elite 8.

2005 Illinois was also 29-0 at this point in the season. Lost to UNC in the National Championship game, although hopefully that one will be vacated shortly

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    Well, 7 out of 9 teams that were undefeated in the regular season were national champions:

1957 UNC (ugh)
    1967 UCLA (Lew Alcindor)
    1972 UCLA (Bill Walton)
    1973 UCLA (also Walton)

The ones that didn't:

Intentionally leaving out old school teams that were undefeated that didn't play in the tournament.

I could also include 2004 St Joseph's (Jameer Nelson) that was undefeated in the regular season and lost in their conference tournament as well as in the Elite 8.

2005 Illinois was also 29-0 at this point in the season. Lost to UNC in the National Championship game, although hopefully that one will be vacated shortly
    What about last season's Wichita State team? They don't count?

I mean, always better to win than to lose. But I doubt it means much either way with regards to our tourney hopes. Have we had other undefeated Februaries besides 2010? Obviously 1999, for example. But really I don't know that it means much, other than that winning is always better than losing.

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post

1957 UNC (ugh)
    1967 UCLA (Lew Alcindor)
    1972 UCLA (Bill Walton)
    1973 UCLA (also Walton)

The ones that didn't:

Also, wasn't St. Joe's undefeated a few years ago?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    2004, St. Joe's went undefeated in the regular season and lost to Xavier in their conference tournament.

Coach K is undefeated against undefeated teams in the NCAA Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

But, but, the knucklehead doing the UVA-Cuse game last night said it was a no-brainer to take Kentucky against the field. Surely if I hear it on the Worldwide Leader it's solidly researched, well reasoned analysis right?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Re-read my post, and ye shall find the answer.

What about last season's Wichita State team? They don't count?
    Yes, sorry... I completely brain-locked on them. Make it 7 of 10.