Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Okafor or Kaminsky for Player of the Year?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...race-right-now

"Simply put, Kaminsky is terrific and has been all season -- proof being how he's leading a top-10 team in points per game (17.7), rebounds per game (8.3), blocks per game (1.6) and field goal percentage (54.4). He's been a worthy so-called face of the sport, and all of these things are reasons why I'll never call somebody stupid for picking Kaminsky over Okafor.

But picking Okafor over Kaminsky isn't stupid, either."

As a dedicated Duke fan since the late-80's, my vote would go to ...

Kaminsky, for his overall game.

You could be right, but Kaminski doesn't have nearly the draft stock, if that means anything. And it may not. What do NBA scouts and GMs know anyway? Just another data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    You could be right, but Kaminski doesn't have nearly the draft stock, if that means anything. And it may not. What do NBA scouts and GMs know anyway? Just another data point.
    I don't even think it's a data point. Draft stock and POY consideration are two almost entirely unrelated things.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I would agree with the NBA scouts regarding the next level. Okafor is a freshman with incredible potential, with some inside and post moves that are already better than more than a few NBA interior players. A real gift which he has worked so very hard to further develop.

Kaminsky is a better defender, free throw shooter, outside shooter, and even passer. But he is a senior, who has had time to work on his game!

Why not Cauley-Stein for POY? I don't think there is a more dominant defensive presence in college basketball and he's been very efficient on offense.

Um... Okafor.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Whats gonna kill Okafor in this is his abysmal defense. I don't think they would take that into consideration as much as offense, but if Okafor finished the year strong and plays even just average defense, he should win.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    Whats gonna kill Okafor in this is his abysmal defense. I don't think they would take that into consideration as much as offense, but if Okafor finished the year strong and plays even just average defense, he should win.
    Didn't hold back Jimmer from winning and Jimmer made even a terrible defender look all world in comparison.

Defense can be a plus to win the POY but I don't think it holds people back.

Good point above re Cauley-Stein. I love Jah's offense (but for the truly horrid FT shooting) but, given Quinn's performances lately, I'm not positive I would pick Jah for Duke's POY.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Draft stock has nothing to do with it. Who's the best player in the country? (That we see regularly) and plays for a very good/great team? Who dominates the NCAA game? So far this year it's Oak. Not over, yet, but close. Kaminsky is very good/great. Tomorrow against MSU, right? Kaminsky and Wisky just lost at Md.
    Didn't help his cause. Tomorrow against MSU could help. But Oak had a decent game today!!

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Good point above re Cauley-Stein. I love Jah's offense (but for the truly horrid FT shooting) but, given Quinn's performances lately, I'm not positive I would pick Jah for Duke's POY.
    do you mean Justise? or Tyus? though you could also mean Quinn. We have a terrific team.

I've only watched one complete Wisconsin game, and, in that one, they lost.

Okafor, not surprisingly, gets my vote. Here's to Kaminsky getting 8 points and 3 rebounds in a loss to Michigan State.

Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...race-right-now

"Simply put, Kaminsky is terrific and has been all season -- proof being how he's leading a top-10 team in points per game (17.7), rebounds per game (8.3), blocks per game (1.6) and field goal percentage (54.4). He's been a worthy so-called face of the sport, and all of these things are reasons why I'll never call somebody stupid for picking Kaminsky over Okafor.

But picking Okafor over Kaminsky isn't stupid, either."

As a dedicated Duke fan since the late-80's, my vote would go to ...

Except that Okafor is leading a top 5 team in points per game (18.4), rebounds per game (9.4), blocks per game (1.4) and field goal percentage (66.5). All of which are better numbers than Kaminsky (except the blocks which is very close) and Duke beat Wisconsin. Now there are other factors like defense, free throw shooting and the fact that Kaminsky is also a solid 3 pt shooter but what is claimed as being proof doesn't hold much weight from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Here's to Kaminsky getting 8 points and 3 rebounds in a loss to Michigan State.
    It was a nice thought.

Granted I haven't watched a ton of Wisconsin games, but it strikes me that Kaminsky is a consistently excellent player. But he doesn't dominate games.

Okafor dominates games. On offense, he is consistently excellent - just like Kaminsky. However, unlike Kaminsky, Okafor is often dominant, just schooling people.

Don't get me wrong, the race is close. But I think Okafor is truly otherworldly at times. While I feel Kaminsky is just a shade short of otherworldly.

- Chillin

I would favor this logic and going with a Senior, IF we did not have a dog in the fight.
    But we do; so Oak w/o any hesitation.

It seems people don't think much about defense in these discussions. After the VaTach game, which was Okafor's worst defensive performance of the year, ESPN led with this headline "Okafor terrific in Duke win over Virginia Tech."
    I honestly think people who are thinking Kaminsky over Okafor are doing so largely because of Kaminsky's range as a shooter.

Is there a more dominant player this year than Oak? I really like Kaminsky's game -- but Jahzilla cannot be defended heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is there a more dominant player this year than Oak? I really like Kaminsky's game -- but Jahzilla cannot be defended heads up.
    I totally agree, he usually cannot be stopped one on one, phenomenal post moves like I have rarely seen in college, or even the NBA these days.

It will come down to the overall criteria that voters use, and their relative weightings.

Kaminsky had a 31-point, 8-rebound, 3-block, 3-assist, 2-steal performance against MSU this weekend, which I am sure got some people's attention.

I think the race is a bit of a toss up, maybe similar to Reddick vs. Morrison in 2006,,,

Tried to edit my post but the 15 minute deadline had expired:

Here is a viewpoint from someone with some clout:

Kaminsky is "no question the best player in the country this year," Izzo said.

He called Kaminsky the best player that he had seen in the league since Glenn Robinson starred at Purdue in the 1990s.

"He's the most versatile kid that our league has seen in a long, long time," Izzo said about Kaminsky.

Tried to edit my post but the 15 minute deadline had expired:

Here is a viewpoint from someone with some clout:

Kaminsky is "no question the best player in the country this year," Izzo said.

He called Kaminsky the best player that he had seen in the league since Glenn Robinson starred at Purdue in the 1990s.

"He's the most versatile kid that our league has seen in a long, long time," Izzo said about Kaminsky.
    Sooooooooooooooooo? Izzo has an interest in puffing the Big # (whatever it is today). That is hardly difinitive.