Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Syracuse @ Duke (Feb 28, 7 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Time to discuss our rematch with Syracuse. Can Duke rediscover its defensive chops? Will Okafor again play Scrooge to Syracuse's Christmas? Will Jim Boeheim tear off his jacket again? Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Time to discuss our rematch with Syracuse. Can Duke rediscover its defensive chops? Will Okafor again play Scrooge to Syracuse's Christmas? Will Jim Boeheim tear off his jacket again? Discuss.
    I'm betting Boeheim picks his nose.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Don't really like the Scrooge-Christmas reference. Cus Christmas won.

How about the Grinch vs Christmas? The Grinch stole Christmas, and it took a tiny Who to get Christmas back. Fortunately for Duke, Whos don't exist!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The 'Cuse is playing well in spite of their self imposed post season sanctioning.

Not a game to be taken lightly. Ask Mike Brey.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    The 'Cuse is playing well in spite of their self imposed post season sanctioning.

Not a game to be taken lightly. Ask Mike Brey.
    Yes. I think the post season sanctions likely increase their incentive to play as well as possible, especially against top-level teams in the conference. I think we can expect this one to be very hard fought.

I'm interested to see how Duke plays in this re-match. I have a theory that this year's Duke team (with all its youth) will be especially impressive in re-match games, because our players have a better idea what to expect from the opponent, how much effort is required, etc. So far, however, we only have one data point (Notre Dame, which would seem to support the otherwise unsubstantiated theory). Tomorrow's game starts a mini-streak of 4 to 6 consecutive games against opponents we've played before, so I'm anxious to see if my theory has any validity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm interested to see how Duke plays in this re-match. I have a theory that this year's Duke team (with all its youth) will be especially impressive in re-match games, because our players have a better idea what to expect from the opponent, how much effort is required, etc. So far, however, we only have one data point (Notre Dame, which would seem to support the otherwise unsubstantiated theory). Tomorrow's game starts a mini-streak of 4 to 6 consecutive games against opponents we've played before, so I'm anxious to see if my theory has any validity at all.
    I'm trying to restrain my optimism of us pitching another "No Hitter" the way we did vs: ND.
    Hope you are right.

Interesting theory. Do you think it's more of a "what to expect from the opponent" or a "we got beaten by a team we should have beat" theory for ND? Against Syracuse, I'm expecting a very tough match. Not necessarily tougher than in the Carrier Dome, but tough nonetheless.

If we face NC State or Miami, I expect this team to be much more motivated than if we were to face a team that we already beat. It's why I would love another shot at these two teams in the ACC Tourney, cus I think we'll bring ND@Cameron-type fire.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Interesting theory. Do you think it's more of a "what to expect from the opponent" or a "we got beaten by a team we should have beat" theory for ND? Against Syracuse, I'm expecting a very tough match. Not necessarily tougher than in the Carrier Dome, but tough nonetheless.

If we face NC State or Miami, I expect this team to be much more motivated than if we were to face a team that we already beat. It's why I would love another shot at these two teams in the ACC Tourney, cus I think we'll bring ND@Cameron-type fire.
    In theory, I agree. But I have to be honest--NC State scares me right now. They have been looking like they have finally figured out how to play well consistently.

RE: Miami... given how bad Angel Rodriguez has played since Miami beat Duke, I'd fully expect him to have another career night against them if they played again.

Interesting theory. Do you think it's more of a "what to expect from the opponent" or a "we got beaten by a team we should have beat" theory for ND?
    I don't know. But my guess is it's the former. The second Notre Dame didn't feel like a revenge game to me, it felt more like a "we know they're going to bring it, but we can handle it this time" game.

During the pre-season (for my purposes, including BC @Duke on January 3), Duke got up and played great in the games the players knew would be tough (Michigan State, Wisconsin) but were basically just so much more talented that they could coast against our other opponents and still win. Then, boom, boom, boom, we didn't play so well against Wake, State, Miami, and to me the players looked kind of stunned -- they didn't know what to expect from second-tier ACC teams, didn't realize they'd play so tough and physically, didn't realize how good they were.

And I think the pattern continued from there -- we played really well in games the players knew would be tough (Louisville, Virginia), and not so great in some of the other games. Although because we had some idea from our early experiences against other ACC teams, our surprise wasn't quite as great against, e.g., Georgia Tech and Florida State as it was against NC State and Miami, so we were able to pull out close wins. Notre Dame seemed to surprise our players when they came back at the end of our first game with them. Virginia Tech seemed to surprise us by the fact that they weren't terrible. Even UNC seemed to surprise us with their toughness for the middle 20 minutes of that game.

But that's over now, at least until the NCAA tournament begins. Our next 4 to 6 opponents won't surprise us that way because we've played them before. We know how tough they are and how hard they'll play against us. We know how much effort we have to bring in response.

It's a theory, anyway. We'll see what really happens over the next few games.

Don't really like the Scrooge-Christmas reference. Cus Christmas won.

How about the Grinch vs Christmas? The Grinch stole Christmas, and it took a tiny Who to get Christmas back. Fortunately for Duke, Whos don't exist!
    Good points! I think I meant to type Grinch, but was multitasking and screwed up!

It's a theory, anyway. We'll see what really happens over the next few games.
    "Hypothesis" may be more accurate. Feels good to try to "pull a Kedsy" on the man himself!
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

why are we playing Syracuse twice in consecutive seasons? i thought that should not happen with the new scheduling approach since they are not one of our permanent rivals. we should only play them 3 times every 12 years i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    why are we playing Syracuse twice in consecutive seasons?
    Because ESPN likes $$$$$.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Because ESPN likes $$$$$.
    if that were the answer, then we'd be doing so again next year. we're not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    if that were the answer, then we'd be doing so again next year. we're not, though.
    I'm pretty sure $$$$ is the answer. ESPN was greedy and wanted our two-game-a-year meetings with them right now rather than later.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1h1 hour ago
    To simulate the wings in the Syracuse 2-3 zone, Duke had Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee play on the wings against the offense

(my take - I guess Matt is starting)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1h1 hour ago
    To simulate the wings in the Syracuse 2-3 zone, Duke had Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee play on the wings against the offense

(my take - I guess Matt is starting)
    Yeah. That seems to be the path forward.

Coach K sure loves those 4s who can shoot, huh?

Control silent G. Syracuse played well in the first match up and clearly know what they need to do. But G was on fire and it will be interesting to see if he can replicate in any way. Duke needs to play smart and make their throws. Should be good game.