Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    In the FSU-Miami recap, apparently Coach Laranega is sending Angel Rodriquez to his personal shrink, which helped him regain his confidence and shooting touch.

Interesting.
    After this game, he'll probably need an exorcist.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Hoo View Post
    After this game, he'll probably need an exorcist.
    Why? He scored 25 points on 14 shots.

Unless your talking about what Rathan-Mayes did in the last five minutes. But Miami still won.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Why? He scored 25 points on 14 shots.

Unless your talking about what Rathan-Mayes did in the last five minutes. But Miami still won.
    Yep. Thirty points in 4 minutes is all anybody is going to remember about that game.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Oh my. I don't recall anything like that. I remember JJ scoring a bunch of points late against NC State to grab the ACC Championship his freshman year, and think his final total was 30, but in less than 5 minutes?

Wow.
    Reading the play-by-play on espn... wow. He got fouled on two separate three point attempts?

I assume his last FT miss was intentional. holy cow, what an amazing 5 minutes that must have been to watch.

Snowmageddon has hit Hampton Roads so I've got time on my hands and a desire to talk some basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

Saturday

[86]Clemson hosts [81]Georgia Tech (12:00, ESPN3)
    [153]Boston College hosts [42]NC State (12:00, ESPN3)
    [100]Florida State hosts [19]Louisville (12:00, ESPN)
    [56]Miami hosts [15]UNC (2:00, CBS)
    [2]Virginia hosts [182]Virginia Tech (4:00, ESPN3)
    [8]Duke hosts [57]Syracuse (7:00, ESPN)
    Now that we have survived the trip to Blacksburg, I'm excited for Saturday. Spring Football game at 10 am followed by several key match-ups in hoops. For starters, Duke has to take care of business by beating Syracuse. I enjoy discussing the other ACC games, offering up opinions on who should win and lose, and the impact those results will have on ACCT seeding and/or NCAAT berths, etc...but first things first...Duke must keep winning.

The first match-up that jumps out and grabs my attention is Carolina at Miami. The 'Canes need the win in order to stay relevant in the NCAAT discussion. Carolina is reeling having lost five of their last seven games. A Miami victory could knock the Tar Heels out of the Top 25 and send Carolina's NCAAT seeding tumbling down toward a number such as 8 or 9. Can Miami take care of business?

Louisville at Florida State is another interesting game. The Cardinals are struggling having lost three of their last six games with close wins in their last two games against Georgia Tech (52-51) and Miami (55-53). Louisville is not a good offensive team and with Chris Jones kicked off the team a case can be made they are not a good team period. A loss to Florida State is a real possibility. Louisville's NCAAT seed could be headed south alongside Carolina.

N.C. State at Boston College is critical for the inconsistent Wolfpack. Can they avoid a letdown after the big win in Chapel Hill? Their NCAAT bid could be in jeopardy with a bad loss or two down the stretch. The Wolfpack appear to be on the right side of the bubble as long as they don't screw up like they did after beating Duke earlier in the season. State followed up the win over Duke by losing four of their next five games. State needs to win two of their last three games to firm up a bid.

Finally, Virginia hosts Virginia Tech. The Hokies are tough in Blacksburg as we saw last night, but this game is in Charlottesville and the Cavaliers are playing tough ball even with Justin Anderson and London Perrantes injured. My expectation is it will be the CHokies who get off the bus at John Paul Jones Arena. Virginia wins easily.

Thoughts?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Snowmageddon has hit Hampton Roads so I've got time on my hands and a desire to talk some basketball!

Now that we have survived the trip to Blacksburg, I'm excited for Saturday. Spring Football game at 10 am followed by several key match-ups in hoops. For starters, Duke has to take care of business by beating Syracuse. I enjoy discussing the other ACC games, offering up opinions on who should win and lose, and the impact those results will have on ACCT seeding and/or NCAAT berths, etc...but first things first...Duke must keep winning.

The first match-up that jumps out and grabs my attention is Carolina at Miami. The 'Canes need the win in order to stay relevant in the NCAAT discussion. Carolina is reeling having lost five of their last seven games. A Miami victory could knock the Tar Heels out of the Top 25 and send Carolina's NCAAT seeding tumbling down toward a number such as 8 or 9. Can Miami take care of business?

Louisville at Florida State is another interesting game. The Cardinals are struggling having lost three of their last six games with close wins in their last two games against Georgia Tech (52-51) and Miami (55-53). Louisville is not a good offensive team and with Chris Jones kicked off the team a case can be made they are not a good team period. A loss to Florida State is a real possibility. Louisville's NCAAT seed could be headed south alongside Carolina.

N.C. State at Boston College is critical for the inconsistent Wolfpack. Can they avoid a letdown after the big win in Chapel Hill? Their NCAAT bid could be in jeopardy with a bad loss or two down the stretch. The Wolfpack appear to be on the right side of the bubble as long as they don't screw up like they did after beating Duke earlier in the season. State followed up the win over Duke by losing four of their next five games. State needs to win two of their last three games to firm up a bid.

Finally, Virginia hosts Virginia Tech. The Hokies are tough in Blacksburg as we saw last night, but this game is in Charlottesville and the Cavaliers are playing tough ball even with Justin Anderson and London Perrantes injured. My expectation is it will be the CHokies who get off the bus at John Paul Jones Arena. Virginia wins easily.

Thoughts?
    I think I can make it down to coral gables for the UM vs UNC game and still make it home in time for the Duke game.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Hoo View Post
    Yep. Thirty points in 4 minutes is all anybody is going to remember about that game.
    In the long term I doubt many people remember anything about that game.

Saturday line (home team in caps):

State by 5 over BC
    CLEMSON by 4 over Tech
    DUKE by 13 over Syracuse
    'Ville by 4 over FSU
    Carolina by 1 over MIAMI

Carolina may have a dog fight on its hands. That may be the game of the day.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Saturday line (home team in caps):

State by 5 over BC
    CLEMSON by 4 over Tech
    DUKE by 13 over Syracuse
    'Ville by 4 over FSU
    Carolina by 1 over MIAMI

Carolina may have a dog fight on its hands. That may be the game of the day.
    I just hope unc-cheat gets the same hot Miami team we got in Cameron, and the same Angel Rodgiguez we got in Cameron. If he is on and playing at a high level, they have no one that can guard him. Miami also has good 3 point shooters and like us, unc-cheat does not guard the line very well. Heck they are likely worse than us at defending the 3 point line.

If Angel is playing at a high level, and the Miami 3 point shooters have a solid day behind the line, I like Miami's chances to get this done. Truth be told, Miami probably has just as good talent as unc-cheat has and Miami has far better coaching in terms of both motivation and X and O's. I would take Larranaga over Ol Roy all day everyday to coach my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I just hope unc-cheat gets the same hot Miami team we got in Cameron, and the same Angel Rodgiguez we got in Cameron. If he is on and playing at a high level, they have no one that can guard him. Miami also has good 3 point shooters and like us, unc-cheat does not guard the line very well. Heck they are likely worse than us at defending the 3 point line.

If Angel is playing at a high level, and the Miami 3 point shooters have a solid day behind the line, I like Miami's chances to get this done. Truth be told, Miami probably has just as good talent as unc-cheat has and Miami has far better coaching in terms of both motivation and X and O's. I would take Larranaga over Ol Roy all day everyday to coach my team.
    Larranaga is the better coach, and Miami needs this win to move towards the good side of the bubble.

State, don't beat UNC then lose to BC.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Larranaga is the better coach, and Miami needs this win to move towards the good side of the bubble.
    There's a larger point here: Many teams are looking to burnish their records, and therefore motivated psychologically to bring all they've got.

The Syracuse game tonight comes to mind. No ACC tourney, No NCAA tourney. This is their chance to shove a pointy stick at the eye.

Miami/UNC is the same, but with due respect to my friend OPK, they both need it. Miami because of their bubble status, and UNC because they need redemption, team pride, and a decent seed.

Look for other games to include that dynamic. "Needing it" has a powerful force on the psyche of a team, whether that team performs in the end or not.

State down by 17 points to 1-14 Boston College at the half. Inconsistency remains the Wolfpack calling card!
    Bob Green

State down by 17 points to 1-14 Boston College at the half. Inconsistency remains the Wolfpack calling card!
    Obviously, hang over from the UNC win ... this would be a devastating loss for the Pack, but they haven't lost it yet.

This season Georgia Tech has become the master of the last-second loss. Boston College has made a habit of playing better teams tough for 30-35 minutes, then fading at the end. Won't believe they can do it until they do.

I switched over to catch Georgia Tech at Clemson and Clemson was up 20-2 at the under eight minute timeout. Louisville up 10 on GSU at the half, despite a scoreless half for Terry Rozier.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    State, don't beat UNC then lose to BC.
    This is why NC State can't have nice things.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    This is why NC State can't have nice things.
    I guess they just liked hearing Joe Lunardi talk about them all the time.

My Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    There's a larger point here: Many teams are looking to burnish their records, and therefore motivated psychologically to bring all they've got.

The Syracuse game tonight comes to mind. No ACC tourney, No NCAA tourney. This is their chance to shove a pointy stick at the eye.

Miami/UNC is the same, but with due respect to my friend OPK, they both need it. Miami because of their bubble status, and UNC because they need redemption, team pride, and a decent seed.

Look for other games to include that dynamic. "Needing it" has a powerful force on the psyche of a team, whether that team performs in the end or not.
    Just saw that OPK made the same point regarding Syracuse's motivation against Duke in the Pre-Game thread. Since I stole his point, I agree.

At the under 8 minute TV timeout, Boston College 63, N.C. State 42. The Wolfpack embarrassing Tobacco Road once again.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I switched over to catch Georgia Tech at Clemson and Clemson was up 20-2 at the under eight minute timeout.
    It is all tied up at 60 with 39 seconds left.

EDIT: Now headed to OT.
    Bob Green

It is all tied up at 60 with 39 seconds left.

EDIT: Now headed to OT.
    Overtime at Little John.