Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke vs. Va Tech (Feb 25, 9 pm, ESPN2) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke travels to Blacksburg Wednesday night for its only game with the Hokies this season. Time to see what the Buzz is all about...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

A poor team. Sometimes play 5 guards. Not much size, truly lousy rebounding team. Tallest 3 guys collectively score about 8 points/game and 8 rebounds/game. Totally guard-dependent, shoot about same number of 3s/game as Duke, and about same 3-ball %, so that's their only threat. Poor FT-shooters.

Hope Jahlil is kept out. If so, Amile and Marshall should split C minutes, Justise should absolutely dominate at the 4, and our 4 guards are better than their 6 or 7 guards.

If Duke plays with same intensity as v. Clemson, only something like a 15/30 3-ball performance can keep VT in the game. It's VT's NC, "Duke gets everybody's best shot," etc., but Duke should -- should -- win easily.

Jahlil's injury happened at a moment in the season just before Duke was to face two smallish teams, so we're in luck in that regard.

Yea, I hope that if Jah is even close to still feeling his ankle being sore still that they keep him out this game. The risk of bothering the injury is too great to risk. Rest it one more game and bring him back vs Syracuse.

As far as the game goes, I expect Duke to stay on a roll it may not be a huge blowout like the Clemson game but we should force the pace and get the result we want.

It is so refreshing to have a team getting better with each game going late into Feb. I think we still have the potential for a let down in one of our final regular season games, but I don't think anyone can say that we aren't improving. We are in for a fun ride come March folks.

VA Tech Players

I have not watched one VT game this season, so I looked at some player stats and here's a run down.

Wilson a 6'4 Soph is the distributor of the ball. He has 111 assists and 52 turnovers. He averages 6.7ppg and shoots .292% on threes but he's only taken 24 threes this season. Wilson gets 29.3 mpg.
    The only other player on the squad with a plus assists to turnovers is Johnston a senior who has 8 assists and 2 turnovers. He gets 12.7 mpg.and averages 2.9 ppg.
    Smith is a 6'1" Jr. who averages 13.6 ppg and shoots the 3 at .433%. He has 25 assists and 25 turnovers. He averages 30.5 mpg.
    Bibbs is a 6'5" Fr. who averages 12.6 ppg and shoots the 3 at .442%. He has 40 assists and 49 turnovers in 29.9 mpg.
    Ahmed Hill is a 6'5"Fr who averages 8.2 ppg and shoots the 3 at .368%. He has 40 assists and 47 turnovers. Hill is the leading rebounder with 3.7 rpg. He get's 29.1 mpg.
    Muller is a 6'3" R-Fr. who averages 6.1 ppg and shoots the 3 at .360% but he's only taken 32 all season. He gets 20.7 mpg.
    Hudson is a 6'5" Fr. who averages 5.8 ppg and shoots the 3 at ..205%. He's taken 39 so far this season. He gets 15.5 mpg.
    Beyer is a 6'7" Senior who averages 3.4 ppg. He has taken 2 threes and made both this season. He averages 2.8 rpg in 12.7 mpg.
    Pierce is a 7'00" Fr. who averages 2.8 ppg. He averages 2.4 rpg in 13.2 mpg.
    Henry is a 6'8" Jr. who averages 2.7 ppg and 3.1 rpg. He gets 10.9 mpg.
    It seems this VT squad has turnover trouble and is a poor rebounding team. They play 10 players that get at least 11 mpg. On paper it looks like Duke should handle them easily, but with Jahlil being a Big Question mark, I don't think we should take this game for granted. If we play anywhere close to our potential, we should win but in ACC action, who knows what's going to happen. GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 02-23-2015 at 07:57 AM.

If the doctors sign off on Jahlil to play against VaTech, I say let him play. He's very likely only here for one year, and I wanna see him play every second I can. Only the G-Man as an upperclassman can even touch the freshman as Duke's all-time most talented center. After the season he'll be gone to that nowhere called the NBA, and I seldom watch even the best Dukies there. Selfish? Maybe. But I love watching him play, and I know he'll want to play. So there.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    If the doctors sign off on Jahlil to play against VaTech, I say let him play. He's very likely only here for one year, and I wanna see him play every second I can. Only the G-Man as an upperclassman can even touch the freshman as Duke's all-time most talented center. After the season he'll be gone to that nowhere called the NBA, and I seldom watch even the best Dukies there. Selfish? Maybe. But I love watching him play, and I know he'll want to play. So there.
    I get what you're saying it I would trade a VT game to be sure we play in late March.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    I get what you're saying it I would trade a VT game to be sure we play in late March.
    But can you ever really be sure?

Just like Klimpzen

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Hopefully, we can run VPI out of the gym the same way we did the Tigers. Get Jah a little run in each half (enough to get him in double figures), call it a day, and come on back to Durham.

We're getting close guys and gals. This team seems to be putting the peices together at just the right time - hopefully that translates into a little late-April basketball for our Blue Devils.

#GODUKE

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But can you ever really be sure?
    Of course not; thus, presumably, the use of the conditional "would." [Grammar nerd alert.]

More seriously, the OP's underlying point seems sound--if there is any significant doubt about whether playing on Wednesday would aggravate Okafor's injury and leave him unavailable or less effective later on, it might be wise to hold him out, even if he is cleared to play. That being said, I hope doctors would not clear him to play if there were any such doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    More seriously, the OP's underlying point seems sound--if there is any significant doubt about whether playing on Wednesday would aggravate Okafor's injury and leave him unavailable or less effective later on, it might be wise to hold him out, even if he is cleared to play. That being said, I hope doctors would not clear him to play if there were any such doubt.
    I agree with all this. Just saying that "trading" the VT game doesn't ensure anything.

If the doctors clear him, let Jah have some run, but substitute more often.

A rolled ankle will still be tender after a week and is likely to swell up a little after the game. But playing some should help more than hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree with all this. Just saying that "trading" the VT game doesn't ensure anything.
    I say we hold Jah out until the NCAA Championship game just to really be double sure he's healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

Hope Jahlil is kept out. If so, Amile and Marshall should split C minutes, Justise should absolutely dominate at the 4, and our 4 guards are better than their 6 or 7 guards.
    I agree 100 percent. Priority number one has to be Okafor being completely healthy. Sit him!
    Bob Green

Question

Apologies. This probably should be in the Clemson post game but the discussion there has gone into whether we should play zone against UNC.

Any insight into Amile? He did not seem right in the Clemson game and Coach pulled him with some words after he got beaten late in the game. I would call it lingering problems from the FSU hit, but he had a good game statistically against UNC.

I ask only because of my earlier comment about playing Oak at VT but with generous substitution. Marshall played a good game against Clemson (not statistically), but I think he and Amile need to be bringing it to have any comfort sitting Jahlil.

(1) Coach K said on today's ACC teleconference that Jah is improving and he "expects" him to play Wednesday.

He was out of the boot today. His swelling is down and he's going to try and run in today's practice.

(2) I don't see VPI is an easy a game as some of you do. If it were in Cameron, yes ... an absolute gimmie. But they have been competitive in Blacksburg. They took Virginia (with Justin Anderson) to the wire before losing on a missed three at the buzzer. They beat Pitt and Georgia Tech at home and took Syracuse to a last shot at home.

Yes, they have no inside game either offensively or defensively (which really only helps us if Jah plays) and are terrible on the boards, but they are a crazy 3-point shooting team. They are averaging more 3-point attempts in ACC play than anybody else (almost 27 a game in ACC play) and are third in 3-point percentage (behind just Duke and Notre Dame). Their 3-point numbers are crazy considering they play a fairly slow pace.

They have a number of dangerous 3-point guys -- Adam Smith (40.8 on 98 attempts in ACC play), freshman Justin Bibbs (40.9 on 44 attempts in 10 ACC games), freshman Malik Mueller (35.9 of 64 attempts in ACC play). Ahmad Hill (39.5 on 43 attempts in ACC play).

I do think Duke will play to shut down the 3 -- and they don't have the slashers or the inside presence to thwart good defensive pressure on the perimeter. Still, you always fear a game when the other team goes off from the 3-point line. If that happens, Duke will have to work for this win.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    (1) Coach K said on today's ACC teleconference that Jah is improving and he "expects" him to play Wednesday.

He was out of the boot today. His swelling is down and he's going to try and run in today's practice.

(2) I don't see VPI is an easy a game as some of you do. If it were in Cameron, yes ... an absolute gimmie. But they have been competitive in Blacksburg. They took Virginia (with Justin Anderson) to the wire before losing on a missed three at the buzzer. They beat Pitt and Georgia Tech at home and took Syracuse to a last shot at home.

Yes, they have no inside game either offensively or defensively (which really only helps us if Jah plays) and are terrible on the boards, but they are a crazy 3-point shooting team. They are averaging more 3-point attempts in ACC play than anybody else (almost 27 a game in ACC play) and are third in 3-point percentage (behind just Duke and Notre Dame). Their 3-point numbers are crazy considering they play a fairly slow pace.

They have a number of dangerous 3-point guys -- Adam Smith (40.8 on 98 attempts in ACC play), freshman Justin Bibbs (40.9 on 44 attempts in 10 ACC games), freshman Malik Mueller (35.9 of 64 attempts in ACC play). Ahmad Hill (39.5 on 43 attempts in ACC play).

I do think Duke will play to shut down the 3 -- and they don't have the slashers or the inside presence to thwart good defensive pressure on the perimeter. Still, you always fear a game when the other team goes off from the 3-point line. If that happens, Duke will have to work for this win.
    Like you OF, I don't think the game will be easy. Thanks for the conference stats. The ones I gave earlier in the thread were for the entire season. The Hokies seem to be shooting better in conference play than out of conference. They're playing 10 players that are getting at least 11 minutes per game. The only player that has a plus assist to turnover ratio is Wilson their soph guard. I'm wondering if we'll pressure VT as we did Clemson? I have not seen them all year, so I don't know how they handle the press. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    I say we hold Jah out until the NCAA Championship game just to really be double sure he's healthy.
    Agreed--but what better place to practice magical thinking than a fan board?

A few observations: the next FG that Quinn makes will either tie or set a new career high for points in a season. MP3's next FG will give him 100pts for his career. Grayson has made 9 consecutive FTs over his last 5 games.
    Although i have been quite critical of Matt Jones's shooting this year (mostly b/c of how ugly it looks), he has made more 3s this year than he attempted last year. His FG% is way up (from ~29% to ~39%) and his 3FG% is up from 14% to 36%. His role has expanded since Sulaimon was dismissed and he has been playing well lately, averaging 7ppg in his last 5 compared to 5.5 for the season. He's a decent rebounder and has a + a/to. His FT shooting has also improved recently, going from mid 60s% to 75%. And none of this speaks to his main role on the team, being a versatile defender. He is not a star on this year's team, and he may never be, but he is playing an important role and he's playing it quite well in his So. year. So props to you Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    Apologies. This probably should be in the Clemson post game but the discussion there has gone into whether we should play zone against UNC.

Any insight into Amile? He did not seem right in the Clemson game and Coach pulled him with some words after he got beaten late in the game. I would call it lingering problems from the FSU hit, but he had a good game statistically against UNC.
    I got the impression that Coach K was pretty unhappy about something Amile did before he pulled him. When Amile sat down, Coach K gave him a pretty emphatic whack on the arm and seemed to be saying something that at least from the expression on his face did not appear to be positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Agreed--but what better place to practice magical thinking than a fan board?
    Replying to my own post because I apparently responded to the wrong poster. This was supposed to be a response to this comment from Kedsy, and it is too late to edit the post: