Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

WBB: NC State 72, Duke 59

Quote Originally Posted by aswewere View Post

Coach P team should walk home, agreed if the coaches are burning leather also.

Where's the press conference link? I'm not seeing it.

Jeez. With Finch-Yeager gone where will the players go to get treated for all the injuries from being thrown under the bus like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Jeez. With Finch-Yeager gone where will the players go to get treated for all the injuries from being thrown under the bus like that?
    What are some of the more notable passages? I'm not able to view it at the moment.

unc has a regional trauma center, I think, that specializes in multiple injuries occurring with mass transit vehicles.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

"I wish they could walk home."

Where's the "we"?

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post

Where's the "we"?
    Is Coach P related to old roy? Naw, she doesn't say, Daggumit. GoDuke!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Would anyone care to comment on the actual game?? Like, you know, how did the girls play, who played well, who didn't, who from State killed us, etc, or is just more entertaining to beat the horse over an over in a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.fest??

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Would anyone care to comment on the actual game?? Like, you know, how did the girls play, who played well, who didn't, who from State killed us, etc, or is just more entertaining to beat the horse over an over in a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.fest??
    Poorly, no one, everyone, everyone, and after a game like that, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    State shot 12 for 25 from three-point range while Duke shot 3 for 18. That's really why we lost in a nutshell. Both our starting guards being in foul trouble much of the game didn't help matters. State's really short compared to Duke but played physically and made us work for every inside basket, and we frankly didn't have much else going on offense.

Azurá double-doubled (13 and 10), but turned the ball over 6 times and didn't seem to take as much advantage as she should have of the fact that she was being guarded by a woman 8 inches shorter than she is. Elizabeth went for 19 and 8, with a couple blocks. Amber, Kendall, and Erin all rebounded pretty well but didn't contribute much else.

Disappointing loss but not the end of the world.

18 turnovers to offset a monster night on the boards doesn't help either. :/ .91 points per possession, if my math is right - not great, but at some level actually pretty impressive given the poor shooting and awful turnovers. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

(And count me in the "we should all walk home" camp. What a sad excuse for leadership.)

~tieguy

Quote Originally Posted by tieguy View Post
    18 turnovers to offset a monster night on the boards doesn't help either.
    18 turnovers is a little better than average (18.4 tpg) for this year's team. And understandable given our dearth of guards. Personally, I'm OK with anything under 20 to's.

This game was almost entirely about 3-point shooting. If NCSU shoots "only" 40% and Duke shoots our average of 33%, that's a 15 point swing and it's a completely different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    18 turnovers is a little better than average (18.4 tpg) for this year's team. And understandable given our dearth of guards. Personally, I'm OK with anything under 20 to's.

This game was almost entirely about 3-point shooting. If NCSU shoots "only" 40% and Duke shoots our average of 33%, that's a 15 point swing and it's a completely different game.
    Would you say they were 18 of the worst turnovers you've ever seen, Kedsy?

I really think Coach P's comments about the players in her press conference show a lack of leadership and character.

Would you say they were 18 of the worst turnovers you've ever seen, Kedsy?
    I wouldn't characterize them as qualitatively different from the 18 turnovers we usually get. But I haven't watched Coach P's press conference, so what do I know?

Where's the "we"?
    In this case, i think "they" is correct. That was a classic insufficient-effort loss. On Play for Kay day, you have to expect The Wuffies to come out on fire, and Duke didn't come close to matching their intensity. Did we get a single 50/50 ball all day? Not that i remember.

Just once, i'd like to see us try to play man for an entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    In this case, i think "they" is correct. That was a classic insufficient-effort loss. On Play for Kay day, you have to expect The Wuffies to come out on fire, and Duke didn't come close to matching their intensity. Did we get a single 50/50 ball all day? Not that i remember.

Every body should be on the same bus and it should be US & WE.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

I have to agree with this. The women made mistakes of execution. It almost looked like they were weighing their options before picking the worst. Credit the Wolfpack for some inspired ball, but we gave them a lot of help. It took a perfect storm to lose like this. Well, that and the disheartening loss of players through injury and transfer. Our guards had shown improvement lately, but yesterday was a large step backward.

I don't think man-to-man would have been wise, but, hey, how much worse could it have been?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Question, because I am far from an expert on defensive strategies.

Do we not play man-to-man because of how thin we are? While it makes sense to me that Elizabeth and another big would be there to protect the rim and man-to-man would stop these shooting barrages, does it take a lot more energy to play it? And does there tend to be more fouls? Also, while Becca looks 100%, does zone relieve a pounding on her knees since she doesn't have to chase someone on the defensive end? She leads the team at about 34 minutes per game.

As for the game, we desperately need more production from our bench. I've seen progress, but they've been inconsistent. We played 8 women, and got a total of 2 points from 4 of them.