Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Not sure how it came through on televisions but the vests looked hideous on the players, especially if they were unzipped. It was honestly difficult to watch warmups, to the point I mostly watched Syracuse.

Now that said, I wanted one of the vests as I thought they would look better as casual wear on us 40-something year olds. However, they were very thin and flimsy, and the price tag was $80 bucks. No thanks Duke or Nike, whichever of you is to blame. They had the uni's for sale in both road blue and home white. No thanks on the $120 jersey. The shorts were actually sweet, as were the long sleeve blue warmups with Duke on the front, but shorts were I believe $70 (no thanks) and the long sleeve blue shirts were I believe $90 (no thanks)

But the most irritating of all? At halftime I go to get a drink, and they have a child's road blue jersey in Number 15 hanging right out front of the store, and my 10 year old fanatic Duke fan little girl would have loved it. I stopped to get it thinking the price would be reasonable. Not. $120 bucks. I asked the lady running the store if Duke or Nike had lost their collective minds... She said "Yeah, that price for a child size is ridiculous."

While I am ranting, I really hate the Duke policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale. Not sure who makes those decisions but I would love to discuss it with them. Some 80% of the jersey's for sale in all colors is Jahlil's #15. There are a few #5's, and outside of that there are left over #1's, & #30's from previous seasons, and I strongly suspect all the #5's are leftover Mason jersey's. On the special jersey's for tonight's game, I only recall seeing #15. I love Jahlil and he certainly deserves to have his number for sale, but in my opinion, so do all the other scholarship players on the team. As much money as Duke and Nike rake in, there is zero reason they could not run small batches of every number. I have an old #12 Singler jersey that I wear to support my current favorite player Winslow, and I would suspect each number would generate sales. Jahlil's probably would be the number 1 seller but I do feel the others would have enough volume to warrant making them.

My two cents..

Probably the worst unis we've ever sent these poor guys out to face the public wearing. They looked like they were running around in generic pajamas. Add the increasing number of pantihose and undershirts they add to the mix, then just for fun drop the hemlines down to mid calf on those baggy bottoms and they come out looking like escapees from a psych ward. I'm surprised they didn't rebel. Do they get a say in this at all?

BTW, what is it with the shirttails this year? They've pretty much always been able to keep them tucked in before. Is this fabric just too slippery or what? All night long they have to keep wadding up and stuffing down the front. You can pretty much forget about them ever getting tucked back into the back. How can they concentrate on the play if they have to keep re-dressing themselves, bless their hearts. They deserve better, Nike.

Great game anyway, fellas. You played tough while dragging around all those sheets.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    They looked like they were running around in generic pajamas.
    With the minimalist lettering and without the piping, it looked like the fabulous new uniforms that Nike promised our players never showed up and they had to play the game in their underwear with numbers they drew on themselves with a magic marker.

Quote Originally Posted by jrladd View Post
    ...right now on ESPN Arizona is wearing black with red trim and Utah (the home team) is wearing grey with a similar red trim design. It's difficult to tell the teams apart on TV. I suspect the refs don't like it either.
    That game was spectacularly badly called. Up there as possibly the worst of the year. The refs made our ACC bums look like Nobel Prize winners.
    Sean Miller, very clearly, said a very bad word towards the end of the game, something perhaps similar to a derogative that Coach K might use in similar circumstances but the placid commentators merely tittered and moved to commercial.

It was a beauty of a curse and it definitely had "wanker" in it. Well-deserved it was.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Not sure how it came through on televisions but the vests looked hideous on the players, especially if they were unzipped. It was honestly difficult to watch warmups, to the point I mostly watched Syracuse.

Now that said, I wanted one of the vests as I thought they would look better as casual wear on us 40-something year olds. However, they were very thin and flimsy, and the price tag was $80 bucks. No thanks Duke or Nike, whichever of you is to blame. They had the uni's for sale in both road blue and home white. No thanks on the $120 jersey. The shorts were actually sweet, as were the long sleeve blue warmups with Duke on the front, but shorts were I believe $70 (no thanks) and the long sleeve blue shirts were I believe $90 (no thanks)

But the most irritating of all? At halftime I go to get a drink, and they have a child's road blue jersey in Number 15 hanging right out front of the store, and my 10 year old fanatic Duke fan little girl would have loved it. I stopped to get it thinking the price would be reasonable. Not. $120 bucks. I asked the lady running the store if Duke or Nike had lost their collective minds... She said "Yeah, that price for a child size is ridiculous."

While I am ranting, I really hate the Duke policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale. Not sure who makes those decisions but I would love to discuss it with them. Some 80% of the jersey's for sale in all colors is Jahlil's #15. There are a few #5's, and outside of that there are left over #1's, & #30's from previous seasons, and I strongly suspect all the #5's are leftover Mason jersey's. On the special jersey's for tonight's game, I only recall seeing #15. I love Jahlil and he certainly deserves to have his number for sale, but in my opinion, so do all the other scholarship players on the team. As much money as Duke and Nike rake in, there is zero reason they could not run small batches of every number. I have an old #12 Singler jersey that I wear to support my current favorite player Winslow, and I would suspect each number would generate sales. Jahlil's probably would be the number 1 seller but I do feel the others would have enough volume to warrant making them.

My two cents..
    Couple notes:

1. The shooting shirts are $65. Still expensive, but in line with what shooting shirts have been the past couple of years (and what they are selling the normal shooting shirt for this year).

2. The policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale isn't a Duke policy Nike also has a part in that decision and they go with 1-2 numbers for each school. They figured Jah's #15 would sell the most, so Nike went with that number for Duke. It's the same way in football, though for certain schools they allow 2-3 numbers to be picked and others (like us) it's just one. The schools that have multiple jerseys have to get special permission and they have to buy a certain number of jerseys before Nike will even do the run. For Miami, when Duke Johnson was a freshman, a local store actually petitioned Nike to make a small batch of his #8 jersey (they had selected 3 upperclassmen numbers to run for the season). They finally were allowed to get them made at the end of the season, and the store sold out of that allotment quickly. But, they had to pay Nike directly a fee, as well as the school, and they had to purchase a certain number of the jerseys.

Also, in our case, a lot of the players who would be popular jersey purchases, thankfully, wear the same numbers of past players whose jerseys were on sale: Quinn (#2), Tyus (#5), and Justise (#12). Other schools don't have that luxury, but because of the numbers that we have retired, it basically pushes players towards certain popular numbers that will get reused.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Wait - didn't Jay expose this already?

-jk

... the vests ... the price tag was $80 bucks. No thanks ... No thanks on the $120 jersey ... shorts were I believe $70 (no thanks) and the long sleeve blue shirts were I believe $90 (no thanks) ... a child's road blue jersey ... $120 bucks ... My two cents ...
    Instead of valuing your opinion at two cents, I think you should call it your $115, to match the per-person Iron Dukes pre-Miami-football game tailgate price.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Couple notes:

1. The shooting shirts are $65. Still expensive, but in line with what shooting shirts have been the past couple of years (and what they are selling the normal shooting shirt for this year).

2. The policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale isn't a Duke policy Nike also has a part in that decision and they go with 1-2 numbers for each school. They figured Jah's #15 would sell the most, so Nike went with that number for Duke. It's the same way in football, though for certain schools they allow 2-3 numbers to be picked and others (like us) it's just one. The schools that have multiple jerseys have to get special permission and they have to buy a certain number of jerseys before Nike will even do the run. For Miami, when Duke Johnson was a freshman, a local store actually petitioned Nike to make a small batch of his #8 jersey (they had selected 3 upperclassmen numbers to run for the season). They finally were allowed to get them made at the end of the season, and the store sold out of that allotment quickly. But, they had to pay Nike directly a fee, as well as the school, and they had to purchase a certain number of the jerseys.

Also, in our case, a lot of the players who would be popular jersey purchases, thankfully, wear the same numbers of past players whose jerseys were on sale: Quinn (#2), Tyus (#5), and Justise (#12). Other schools don't have that luxury, but because of the numbers that we have retired, it basically pushes players towards certain popular numbers that will get reused.
    Thanks for the correction and the info D. Yeah there are several #5 jerseys left in the Card Gym store and a lot old Curry & Scheyer #30's still in there, along with a lot of#1's. Last year I purchased a #34 in the Card Store to wear for Andre and got a 12 this year in there to wear for Winslow. Curious why Nike forces that. I get it costs money for the production line but I still maintain they could sell large amounts of other numbers. Plus they make too many of the numbers they do print which is why Card store still has so many old ones. Weird policy. The other thing is, this year it seems the #15 is the only new jersey being printed. I guess they could not figure out who would be the second best player. Finally, I would love to know where the Chronicle got the black #14 jersey for their story today. I have never seen a number 14 in any of the stores.

Finally, I would love to know where the Chronicle got the black #14 jersey for their story today. I have never seen a number 14 in any of the stores.
    Could have been requested from the team. Also could have an old picture from a previous photo shoot. Happens all the time and is easy for the team to provide.

2003-2004 HLM

I'm lovin me these new jerseys

Anyone else loving these new jerseys? The Nike Hyper Elites: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hy.../pgid-10214857

I like the subtlety of the Duke and how clean they look. Definitely thinking about getting one. I just don't know the number yet (I have a #4 and a #2. Need to complete the trio).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Personally, I've cringed the last two games when the broadcast has started up showing these all white new, new alternates. They just don't look like traditional Duke uni's (barely any blue whatsoever, no vertical bars down the sides, no color stripes around the edges).

I guess they could be worse... I mean at least we aren't forced into wearing the Adidas hyper elite cumberbund series.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Anyone else loving these new jerseys? The Nike Hyper Elites: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hy.../pgid-10214857

I like the subtlety of the Duke and how clean they look. Definitely thinking about getting one. I just don't know the number yet (I have a #4 and a #2. Need to complete the trio).
    If you look through this thread you'll see people say they look like practice jerseys or pajamas and I agree. As much as I loved watching our team play well in the first two rounds of the tournament, I do wish they were playing in the normal jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    If you look through this thread you'll see people say they look like practice jerseys or pajamas and I agree. As much as I loved watching our team play well in the first two rounds of the tournament, I do wish they were playing in the normal jerseys.
    The jerseys have been worn because Quinn selected them as the team's uniforms for the day. Seeing how we've played in them, I wouldn't be shocked to see us wear them the rest of the tournament.

2003-2004 HLM

I think the team might be picking the new jerseys for superstitious reasons at this point. They seemed to have preferred the white throwbacks for most of the year, but played probably their best 40 minutes of the year in the new ones against NC State in Greensboro, and then threw out a total clunker against ND in the throwbacks. Ridin' the hot uni, baby!

The jerseys have been worn because Quinn selected them as the team's uniforms for the day. Seeing how we've played in them, I wouldn't be shocked to see us wear them the rest of the tournament.
    Putting aside the fact that I have come to really like these uniforms, I never thought I'd say this: As long as the guys like'em and they're performing well in them...I'm all in.

As long as we keep winning I'm happy. I'd rather have our team win wearing pajamas than lose wearing any other uniform!

Quote Originally Posted by Danke Shane View Post

I guess they could be worse... I mean at least we aren't forced into wearing the Adidas hyper elite cumberbund series.
    Amen! What were they thinking?

Zak+Irvin+Ten+Basketball+Tournament+Quarterfinals+xDIsjT388wNl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    My daughter told me that these guys looked like the kids at school who have their jeans sagging too low and their underwear hanging out.

Just another reason I love Quinn.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My daughter told me that these guys looked like the kids at school who have their jeans sagging too low and their underwear hanging out.
    That's so embarrassing for the Michigan player to have pissed his shorts. Almost as embarrassing as the Wisconsin player who had bloody diarrhea.