Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Although this says Grant "only" has 461 assists.
    http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...p?playerid=181
    Yeah, Hill didn't get to 500 assists. And none of the other guys with 500 assists (Duhon, Wojo, Amaker, Snyder) came close to 1500 points. So that would make Cook just the fifth guy at Duke with that stat combo!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, Hill didn't get to 500 assists. And none of the other guys with 500 assists (Duhon, Wojo, Amaker, Snyder) came close to 1500 points. So that would make Cook just the fifth guy at Duke with that stat combo!
    So, just to repeat the list: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Jason Williams and Quinn Cook.

That is some pretty impressive company.

Side note: can you imagine if JDub had stuck around for 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    So, just to repeat the list: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Jason Williams and Quinn Cook.

I've always liked Cook; even more when we consider the number of OADs he's teamed with. Different dynamics with each one, yet he's been a constant. His career will be even more special when we go to Indy.

It may have been discussed elsewhere, but there was a fun article in the Washington Post on Cook's snarl, referred to by another poster as his "stank face".
    Quinn Cook puts a senior’s snarl on the freshman face of Duke basketball

quinncookvertical-228x300.jpg
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Quinn is now up to 502 career assists and could catch Wojo (505) for eighth and Danny Ferry (506) for seventh with a good weekend. Quinn also made 9! three pointers in Duke's first two NCAA games to pass Dre for 8th in career three pointers made at 234. To get to 7th he would need to hit 12 more to tie Shane Battier at 246 for 7th on Duke's career list. A run to next weekend would give him a chance. With his big weekend, I believe Quinn is now up to 1507 points to edge past Carlos Boozer for 29th on Duke's career points list. Next up would be Ronnie Mayer at 28th with 1509 points. 27th on the list is David Henderson with 1570 points. Go Quinn! Go Duke!
    With 21 points over the weekend, Quinn is now up to 1528 points and 28th on the Duke all-time scoring list. With his 3 assists, Quinn is now tied with Wojo for eighth in career assists with 505 and now has 235 career three-pointers for eighth on Duke's career list. Very impressive career at Duke, so far.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I loved this article about Quinn's growth. There was definitely a lot of tough love for Quinn over the last few years. This article specifically discusses: Capel's calling him out for pouting on the bench as a freshman, K inviting his mom to the pit doing meeting to tell him it's time to grow up, and Nolan suggesting that Quinn used his own father's death as an excuse rather than motivation.

Wow, I am even more impressed by Quinn's attitude and leadership this year. He has helped this team reach great heights and I so badly want him to be rewarded with a title.

I hope one day, ESPN will have a 30 for 30 movie about him.

Just think...

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I loved this article about Quinn's growth. There was definitely a lot of tough love for Quinn over the last few years. This article specifically discusses: Capel's calling him out for pouting on the bench as a freshman, K inviting his mom to the pit doing meeting to tell him it's time to grow up, and Nolan suggesting that Quinn used his own father's death as an excuse rather than motivation.

Wow, I am even more impressed by Quinn's attitude and leadership this year. He has helped this team reach great heights and I so badly want him to be rewarded with a title.
    Wow, I teared up a little at that one. Thanks for the share. As Coach K said, very beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Wow, I teared up a little at that one. Thanks for the share. As Coach K said, very beautiful.
    Yeah, fabulous article. But I am reminded of Cook's leadership from early on. When we beat Kansas in Maui in Cook's frosh season. Thomas Robinson was clearly devastated, and in the post game you see Cook - arm wrapped around TRob, consoling him and giving him words of encouragement. Just a good kid going out of his way. Maybe his early years were bumpy, but I am thrilled for what he has done in becoming the defender and leader he has been this year. Let's hope he gets to cut down the nets one more time in a Duke uniform.

Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

As reported above, only five Duke players have career totals of 1500 points and 500 assists. Here's the lists of Duke players with 1500 points, 500 assists and 80% career free throw %:
    Quinn Cook

At the beginning of this year's Blue White Scrimmage, after Quinn was announced, he gathered the team on the band side baseline. The lights went out except for a spotlight on the 4 NC banners and then Quinn then pointed up to the banners for the full team to understand the ultimate goal. Image just came back to me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    My wish for Quinn: A late-night confetti shower on April 6 at midcourt in Lucas Oil Stadium . . .
    Wish granted. (And much appreciated.)

Not sure I have the right words.
    Without Quinn, this season is not as exciting, as rewarding, as joyous.

Quinn led this team, kept focused, and achieved his and the team's goal.

Congratulations Quinn- you and your Duke basketball family earned it together.
    What a season, what a four year journey.

Thank you Quinn for growing into the player and person we all knew you are.

I am happy for all the players but I am especially happy for Quin. The holding Coach K's hand in the huddle each time without being told. I think the message was I am with you.

Being from the DMV I have watched Quinn since he was in 9th grade and watching the player and person he has turned out to be is absolutely amazing. After leading Dematha to the City Title as a junior, the word on the street was that he was losing his focus hence the move to Oak Hil. When he picked Duke I wasn't sure if that was going to be a good fit. I even thought he would transfer. But he hung in there and matured so much as a player and a person. His senior year has been a treasure to watch, his leadership value sometime getting lost in others great play. Who would have thought when the season started he would be an All-American? For me he will leave Duke as one of my favorites.

I vote we retire Nolan and Quinn both next year, it'll save some room in the rafters since we have other stuff to hang!

Quinn had four assists in the Final Four, for a career total of 509. to pass Danny Ferry for 7th all time. With 23 additional points, he finishes at 1551, still 29th (I think, though an earlier post says 28th) all time.

He also had no turnovers. Resident stat masters--do 4 assists and no turnovers put him ahead of Wojo for number one in career assist to turnover ratio?

I have been a big Quinn Cook fan all four years. I am really going to miss him--so happy he gets to go out with two banners.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was so very wrong about this young man. I really didn't think he had it in him to accept Tyus as the team's PG and thought we'd be in for a season long pout fest. Man, talk about being wrong.

I guess this is what makes four year players so very special in my eyes and that's the fact that you watch these kids evolve into young men. The growth process is so very important to the evolution of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    He also had no turnovers. Resident stat masters--do 4 assists and no turnovers put him ahead of Wojo for number one in career assist to turnover ratio?
    Absolutely. If I count right, Quinn has totaled 509 assists to 201 turnovers (2.53) while Wojo had 505 assists to 202 turnovers (2.50).

But even without the higher math, Quinn appears to have four more assists than Wojo and 1 fewer turnover, which means he has Wojo beat. Pretty close, though.

God bless our Quinn. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Here come those tears again....
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'