Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

In appreciation of Quinn Cook

Our senior captain has come a long way from when he was just a talented DMV kid that came back from a high school injury too soon. He has enjoyed success (Battle of Atlantis), endured heartbreak (Lehigh/Mercer), witnessed the strange (Rasheed), and lived the miraculous (Austin Rivers' shot/Tyus Jones takeover). His poise in pressure situations and the way he has mentored the younger stars on this team have been wonderful to watch.

On a thread earlier this year, someone mentioned that while the 3 freshmen are stars, this team will go as far as Quinn Cook's leadership can take us. I second that and add that I believe his leadership can not only carry this team, but is aslo a strength for this team.

I am extremely proud of the leader that Quinn has turned into. On Basketball and Beyond this week, Coach K said that Quinn Cook was doing "one of the best leadership jobs" he had seen in all of his years of coaching.

#GODUKE

(Mods - feel free to move this if that seems necessary)

Quote Originally Posted by David Bunkley View Post
    Our senior captain has come a long way from when he was just a talented DMV kid that came back from a high school injury too soon. He has enjoyed success (Battle of Atlantis), endured heartbreak (Lehigh/Mercer), witnessed the strange (Rasheed), and lived the miraculous (Austin Rivers' shot/Tyus Jones takeover). His poise in pressure situations and the way he has mentored the younger stars on this team have been wonderful to watch.

On a thread earlier this year, someone mentioned that while the 3 freshmen are stars, this team will go as far as Quinn Cook's leadership can take us. I second that and add that I believe his leadership can not only carry this team, but is aslo a strength for this team.

I am extremely proud of the leader that Quinn has turned into. On Basketball and Beyond this week, Coach K said that Quinn Cook was doing "one of the best leadership jobs" he had seen in all of his years of coaching.

#GODUKE

(Mods - feel free to move this if that seems necessary)
    Co-sign on this. I know I've been a detractor in terms of some of his decision making, but it's only because I know how important it is that he plays well for this team to succeed. He sets the example and the tone and has been marvelous in how he's handled his transition from primary PG to off-guard.

As one of the biggest Quinn fans on this forum, I love this thread. People underestimate Quinn's qualities while focusing on what he doesn't do well. Quinn Cook has a assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.14. If he keeps that up, there is a strong chance he graduates with the best assist-to-turnover ratio in all of Duke basketball (Tyus Jones will leave Duke with the best ratio, but Quinn how have graduated).

He is also our best 3pt shooter (and I would say by far), a solid defender, a wonderful teammate, and - most importantly to this team of incredibly talented freshman - our leader.

With a Monster Behemoth Phenom (Okafor), the Athletic Jaw-Dropping Cool Hand Luke (Winslow), and the Greatest Pound For Pound Clutchster (Tyus), someone needs to hold these guys together. Step on down, Mr. Cook. Step on down.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It would be fascinating to see what Cook's career trajectory would have looked like if he had red shirted his freshman year. It is clear that he had not recovered 100% from his high school injury. He was fantastic for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of his sophomore season but seemed to run out of gas or re-aggravate his knee toward the end of the season. He just wasn't quite as effective and the rematch against Louisville really highlighted that. I was expecting a real jump forward last year but it didn't happen until this year. I don't know if that had to do with him or the makeup of last years team but what he is doing this year certainly could have helped last year.

Maybe he wouldn't have progressed any quicker or maybe he would have been so much better off the bat that he wouldn't still be around to be the senior leader he has become but his sophomore numbers (11.7 ppg, 5.3 apg and 3.8 rpg) showed that he is a capable pg and his performance this year shows that he is a great scorer who can meld his game to match the needs of the team and has the leadership abilities that coaches yearn for in their seniors. As K says, everyone runs their own race but I would have loved to have seen what Cook's race would have looked like if he had been fully healthy at the beginning.

Of course watching him complete the race he has run is pretty awesome as well.

Cook is having a great year. Nice to have a senior leader, isn't it? He's probably the player who can best prevent Duke from dumping out of the tournament prematurely. There's nothing like a player who knows for a fact four years of college ball is over RIGHT NOW if you lose. That's my favorite part of the tournament, is watching the seniors play. They play like their lives depend on it in a way that no underclassman -- even one who knows he plans to go pro -- does. Having one of those in the backcourt along with a guy like Tyus Jones (who might be your best player) is huge in the Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bunkley View Post

#GODUKE

His excellent play this year aside, Quinn is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Duke basketball leaders ever. Up there with Wojo, Carrawell, Battier, and Nolan.

BTTT

Especially since Quinn's Senior Night is just a little over 72 hours away. I absolutely *love* how he has developed as a leader of this precocious young team. Did anyone else notice the "hair ruffle" he gave Tyus Jones after one play in the second half last night? Almost a big-brother, "yeah, way-to-go-kid" kind of thing. It was very cool.

Quinn has endured two first-round losses in his career at Duke, and a trip to the Elite 8. I'd love nothing more than to see him propel the Devils to a deep, deep run and give a little more "balance," so to speak, to his post-season record.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I don't even need to read the posts in this thread. Just sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Hoo View Post
    Cook is having a great year. Nice to have a senior leader, isn't it? He's probably the player who can best prevent Duke from dumping out of the tournament prematurely. There's nothing like a player who knows for a fact four years of college ball is over RIGHT NOW if you lose. That's my favorite part of the tournament, is watching the seniors play. They play like their lives depend on it in a way that no underclassman -- even one who knows he plans to go pro -- does. Having one of those in the backcourt along with a guy like Tyus Jones (who might be your best player) is huge in the Tournament.
    This is the crux right here. Makes you wonder, in this day and age, who/when/if our next one might emerge.

Cook's development, physically, emotionally, and team-wise has really been amazing. My favorite detail is how he has learned to let the game come to him, while still knowing when the onus is on him to take over a game. That, and the way he has handled Tyus's role this season puts him very high on my list of Duke players of this era.

Here's to a successful month of March, followed by a great career at the next level.

THANK YOU QUINN
    (PS - thanks for the kind words from a 'hoo. Many of our players seem to garner so much ill-will from the conference - I feel Quinn is very widely respected amongst his peers.)

Cook has played incredibly well, and grown into a real leader. Could not be prouder.

Thanks, QC!

I love this thread. Get out a dictionary and add every synonym for "splendid" you can find and tack 'em right here. I can't think of a player in the last 30 years who has so completely turned me around the way Quinn has. I wasn't one of the ones who saw the potential way back. My bad. He's done a real 180.

As hard as he has worked and as seriously has he's embraced it, he still hasn't lost his lightheartedness. I'd sure like to know what he and Ol' Roy found funny in front of the Tarheel bench during the game last week. Imagine that. In the middle of an instant classic rivalry game, he's laughing and scratching with the rival coach, showing respect where respect isn't even due -- and without losing his concentration!

He's learned how to bloom wherever he is planted and that will stand him in good stead the rest of his life.

My fingers are crossed that he wins MVP at the banquet.

We'll miss you Quinn. Don't be a stranger in Cameron.
    Love, Ima

Don't look now, but Quinn is up to 1435 career points at Duke. 1500 is certainly attainable.

No small feat. And very well deserved if he can finish strong.

- Chillin

PS - mods I think there is a Quinn Points Watch thread already but the search function kinda stinks.

bump

I hate that I will miss the game at Cameron. Quinn has been one of our steadiest players and I will miss him next year. I hope he plays his game tonight and leads us to a comfortable victory.

Thanks Quinn

Tonight, tonight...

The way that Quinn has grown as a player and leader has been amazing to watch.

He has connected with the Crazies as well as anyone.

I can't wait to see/feel/hear their mutual admiration culminating in a win tonight - one of 10 left to go, by my count.

#GODUKE

Quinn surprised me, no question. His first few years, the swag and jersey pops with little production to back it up, gave me a sour taste. But man, what an outstanding young man and leader he has become. In hind sight though, I should not be this surprised. Coach K as a teacher/coach and Nolan as a mentor early on. The signs and opportunities for Quinn were there, and even though I don't know him on a personal level, I am proud of the fact that he embraced them, put in the hard work and has become someone who will undoubtedly go on to be a great ambassador to Duke University, and great leader in his next endeavor, wherever that may be.

As an aside, parents of blossoming athletes should take note. This is how a program is run. This is what you should strive for with your children as they enter the world as a collegiate athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Did not know that.

I love watching Quinn's leadership on the court. Caught his video with Tony Romo this morning and really enjoyed it.

Thank you, Quinn Cook, for representing our university so well. Looking forward to you leading the team to many more wins this season - would love it if your last game is a W.

A humble man, the epitome of class and dedication. What a pleasure it's been to watch our Captain bloom!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Thank you Quinn for four wonderful years. Enjoy your senior night!!

Quinn, you are the man!

Quinn Cook is the consummate Duke player. He arrived on the scene not strong or completely healthy, but threw himself into the mix, even when he wasn't 100% He then endured life as a point guard, even when that wasn't his strength (and received criticism from many from the fact that he wasn't the best pass first assist producer.)

But never did he complain and pout... And then when K recruited a Five Star point guard by the name of Tyus Jones, still Quinn didn't do anything but say he believed in the coaches, and that he hoped to find his place.

And boy did he... Without Quinn this year, even with the amazing freshmen, we would have been only a shell of what the team became...

Thanks for four great years Quinn! You will forever be one of my favorite Duke players.

And now let's go win some championships!