Robert Jordan dies

For those who are fans of his books, it's a very sad day. He had been struggling with amyloidosis for the past year and a half.

May the last embrace of the Mother welcome him home

Wow. I'm on the Dragonmount email list and got the notice this morning. Dragonmount has been down and I can't access his blog any longer. From the last postings, RJ sat his cousin and wife down in front their fireplace and from his rocking chair relayed the entire plot to them as he intended it. The Wheel of Time will go on, even though it may be in the hands of his wife, Harriet, who was RJ's long time editor of the series.

I had the honor of meeting the man himself at a book signing a few years ago. The University of Virginia bookstore was packed with about 100 people and he took the time to take pictures and answer questions for everyone there. From my viewpoint, he was a larger than life figure with a sharp wit and keen eye for detail (maybe too keen of an eye, as his detractors may say).

My thoughts go out to his family and friends - and fans, many of whom RJ considered close friends too.

- Moose

Unhappy It is a sad day indeed...

I was really bummed to see it here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book...ap/index.html

I've been a fan since they gave out free copies of the first part of the first book at the duke bookstore (how smart was that? Like a drug! Hook the college kids with free stuff!).

This is hard to believe. I just checked Robert Jordn's blog on Dragonmount several days ago and he seemed to be doing ok, considering how serious his illness was. I have read all of the Wheel of Time books, through Knife of Dreams and was hoping that RJ would be able to finish the series, not necessarily for the readers, but for his own sense of accomplishment. As Jordan would say himself, the Wheel of Time turns.
    Tom Mac

For those of you who care...

Robert Jordan's funeral was today at 11am in Charleston, SC and he will be laid to rest at 5:15pm at a ceremony surrounded by close friends and family.

I found his last blog entries on Google, cached as they were. I've copied it below:

Posted by Wilson on September 16th, 2007 in the Robert Jordan's Blog category

It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God’s timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.

Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.

Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We’ve all felt the love that you’ve been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.

Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.

My sincerest thanks.

Peace and Light be with each of you,

Wilson
    Brother/Cousin
    4th of 3

To Catalyst: Never, never loose faith. RJ did not. Harriet hasn’t. I haven’t. Going through what we have, our faith is only strengthened. Besides, if God didn’t exist, we would have never had Jim. We did. God does. Remember my Brother/Cousin, my friend, think of him fondly and glorify God’s name.

- Moose