Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Which is why the idea of not recruiting one-and-dones, or recruiting just one a year, is not realistic at a program like Duke. It would be crazy to limit Coach K to only recruiting prospects outside the top 20.
    Oh, I completely agree. You have to go after the top talent. And you have to hope that you get enough second-tier talent to stick around and develop (and occasionally get a top-tier guy to stick around).

Part of the "problem" has been that a lot of our second/third-tier guys (Gbinije, Murphy, and Ojeleye most recently) have not been interested in sticking around, and some of the ones that did (Hairston, Sulaimon, and Plumlee, for example) haven't/didn't really develop enough over their time here.

Hopefully guys like Matt Jones and Grayson Allen can change that trend. Of course, if have no PG on the roster next year, that's a completely different issue.

I think the other thing you need to do is to expand your search pool. The transfer market (and the grad transfer market) are things that Duke has rarely considered; in this new era of college basketball, I think that will probably need to change. Given the recruitment of Tarik Black before last season and the addition of Obi this past summer, I think we're starting to see that come to fruition.

I think we need to be careful when we describe Coach K's job as "tough" or the "toughest coaching job yet." On a relative scale of "tough jobs", I would put coaching Duke basketball towards the bottom of the list. Military leaders who formulate war plans when they know hundreds or thousands of young men and women will be killed or seriously maimed by their decisions. THAT is a tough job. CEO's of companies who have to lay off hundreds of employees to make a company survive, knowing that many of those laid off will be financially destroyed by that decision. THAT is a tough job. Doctors that perform delicate surgery on kids. THAT is a tough job. The list of "tough jobs" could go on and on. Coaching a college basketball team, especially when you are being paid (supposedly) $8 million per year with a huge support staff paid for by the university. I think it's ridiculous misnomer to call a job like that "tough."

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I think we need to be careful when we describe Coach K's job as "tough" or the "toughest coaching job yet." On a relative scale of "tough jobs", I would put coaching Duke basketball towards the bottom of the list. Military leaders who formulate war plans when they know hundreds or thousands of young men and women will be killed or seriously maimed by their decisions. THAT is a tough job. CEO's of companies who have to lay off hundreds of employees to make a company survive, knowing that many of those laid off will be financially destroyed by that decision. THAT is a tough job. Doctors that perform delicate surgery on kids. THAT is a tough job. The list of "tough jobs" could go on and on. Coaching a college basketball team, especially when you are being paid (supposedly) $8 million per year with a huge support staff paid for by the university. I think it's ridiculous misnomer to call a job like that "tough."
    The thread is talking anout HIS toughest job. I think everyone realizes that it pales in toughness to many, many other jobs. This discussion is all relative to the world of bball.

I do not have an answer to the question, but I do think this season (and last year) may be one of the more interesting chapters in Coach K's pretend biography of his career, season by season.

1. 1992 - would have been tough because the expectations were nothing short of winning every game (almost happened).

2. 1996 - would have been tough because he was attempting to bring the program "back" and avoid further "slippage", while missing Langdon.

3. 1999 - similar to 1992, but balancing solid upperclassmen with hyper talented youth.

4. 2000 - remaining on top after the mass exodus of Langdon, Domzalski, Burgess, Brand, Avery, and Maggette (for my money, his best coaching job).

5. 2007 - a very young team facing a very tough schedule.

6. 2011 - similar to 1992, but the added addition-subtraction-addition of a dynamic player like Irving.

7. 2014 and current - dynamic scorers, profound struggles on the defensive end.

LOL. No. No. No. and No.

Is the OP reverse trolling?

We still have 8 McDonald's AA's, and arguably the best big man in the game this year. Without a doubt, the best freshman in the class.

If this is Coach K's "Toughest coaching job yet", then there are about 100 D1 coaches that would love to have his "problems" right now.

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Coach Bennett has done a great job at UVA, and developing his players over the 3/4 years. I would like to see Duke return to those days of glory with players like Shane, JJ, Sheldon , J Williams, Boozer, Grant Hill, Christian, Hurley, Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, Zoubek, Lance Thomas, Ryan Kelly, Miles & Mason Plumlee, Kyle Singler, Johnny Dawkins, Chris Duhon, and many many more.

Maybe just 1 player each year, that is a One year player. It's hard for them to learn a program in one year, knowing they are headed to big money with the NBA. And they need to play guarded with their bodies, and not get injured.

Like Coach K said, in Blue Devil Club, if a kid is gifted and talented enough, they need to go from High School to the Pros !!!!!
    Shelden shouldn't be included in that list...
    Last edited by subzero02; 01-30-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    If this is Coach K's "Toughest coaching job yet", then there are about 100 D1 coaches that would love to have his "problems" right now.
    Probably closer to 345.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Why shouldn't Shelden Williams be on the list of guys who developed over 3/4 years at Duke?

Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Why shouldn't Shelden Williams be on the list of guys who developed over 3/4 years at Duke?
    I think it's fairly obvious, CDu.

While the others on that list have multiple accolades that prove their development, Shelden is only the Duke career leader in blocks, rebounds, 2006 All-American, 2x National Defensive Player of the Year, and has his jersey retired.

Wait...why shouldn't he be on the list?

Personally, I believe when boozer went down with the broken foot.that was not only one of coaches toughest jobs.i believe it to be one of his most brilliant jobs as well.adversity seems to be a catalyst for him making brilliant changes.