Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree. Allen wasn't nearly the reputed 3pt shooter than Matt Jones was in high school. If anything, he was known more for his athleticism/explosiveness than his shooting. And at Duke, he hasn't exactly done anything to show he is more of a shooter than anyone else on the team.
    Thankfully for us, Grayson's both explosive and an excellent shooter. :-) He's a freshman. Give him time. Being the best pure shooter (which I think he is), does not necessarily mean he is the best in-game shooter (which I think Quinn is right now). . In time, with confidence and opportunity, Grayson has the potential to be a difference making in-game shooter for us. Hopefully, this season.

Coach K's post UVA comments on Rasheed

The last question of the post UVA presser. I transcribed it for those that don't watch the press conferences online, but might be interested.

Question: "Coach, you've been doing this a long time and never dismissed a player, how tough is that?"

Coach K: "As tough as the fact that I've never done it before. So, that's just the way it is. To comment more would be inappropriate, but I appreciate you mentioning that because it is tough. On everybody. Not just on poor old me.

I never... I'm OK. I'm supposed to be the adult in all this stuff, but you never like those situations."

FYI, Coach K said that he appreciated it in a genuine manner, not in a sarcastic way or anything like that. He did not seem annoyed by the question, but of course, didn't go into too much detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    The last question of the post UVA presser. I transcribed it for those that don't watch the press conferences online, but might be interested.

Question: "Coach, you've been doing this a long time and never dismissed a player, how tough is that?"

Coach K: "As tough as the fact that I've never done it before. So, that's just the way it is. To comment more would be inappropriate, but I appreciate you mentioning that because it is tough. On everybody. Not just on poor old me.

I never... I'm OK. I'm supposed to be the adult in all this stuff, but you never like those situations."

FYI, Coach K said that he appreciated it in a genuine manner, not in a sarcastic way or anything like that. He did not seem annoyed by the question, but of course, didn't go into too much detail.
    add this to the list of coach k's unintentional digs at ol' roy...

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    add this to the list of coach k's unintentional digs at ol' roy...
    Indeed, because it was the "poor old me" part that was plainly sarcastic. K clearly has not visited Roy's masseuse lately . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It makes sense...these days many a media would simply say "so why did you dump rasheed like a turkey carcass after thanksgiving"...because they have no idea how to ask a reasonable question in a respectful way. This guy (girl?) went out of his way to not only specifically NOT ask about rasheed and why it was done, but to point out an aspect that many people have not considered: that regardless of "why," it's an extremely tough thing to do as a leader, it's extremely tough on the team, and extremely tough on rasheed. It showed sympathy and respect, and as a coach, to get THAT rather than having the media trying to egg him on to say something (think bode miller after winning a medal at the last olympics and the idiot reporter trying to get him to talk about his dead brother) must have been very refreshing.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    ..."why did you dump rasheed like a turkey carcass after thanksgiving"...
    Never just dump your turkey carcass! Make turkey stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Never just dump your turkey carcass! Make turkey stock.
    Isn't that the old saying? When life hands you a turkey carcass, make turkey stock, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Isn't that the old saying? When life hands you a turkey carcass, make turkey stock, or something like that.
    I think it's actually, "When life hands you a turkey carcass, find some celery, carrots, onion, and tarragon, make turkey stock, and don't forget to skim off the fat before freezing."

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I think it's actually, "When life hands you a turkey carcass, find some celery, carrots, onion, and tarragon, make turkey stock, and don't forget to skim off the fat before freezing."

Duke Blue Planet

I just watched the video on Duke Blue Planet titled "The Comeback for 1K". It's really nicely done, but it's also heart breaking to focus on the scenes of Rasheed in the video. Knowing what's right around the corner for him makes his evident joy and enthusiasm very, very sad.
    Really feel sorry for the kid and hope he can recover from his loss.

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I just watched the video on Duke Blue Planet titled "The Comeback for 1K". It's really nicely done, but it's also heart breaking to focus on the scenes of Rasheed in the video. Knowing what's right around the corner for him makes his evident joy and enthusiasm very, very sad.
    Really feel sorry for the kid and hope he can recover from his loss.
    I watched it this morning and had exactly the same reaction.

In Seth Davis column today, he offered a more specific reason for the dismissal than I have seen expressed:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...caa-tournament

"Still, whatever was going on behind the scenes, it had to be really bad for Coach K to do this. It’s the first time he has booted player for non-academic reasons in his 35 years at Duke. From what I’m told, the tension between Krzyzewski and Sulaimon had been boiling for some time. The final straw came after the loss at Notre Dame, when Sulaimon complained that he only played 12 minutes. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that Duke was able to come back and beat Virginia without him. So on balance, I’ll defer to Coach K’s judgment and say the team is better off without Sulaimon. In the final analysis, his talent was not worth the aggravation that came with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    In Seth Davis column today, he offered a more specific reason for the dismissal than I have seen expressed:

"Still, whatever was going on behind the scenes, it had to be really bad for Coach K to do this. It’s the first time he has booted player for non-academic reasons in his 35 years at Duke. From what I’m told, the tension between Krzyzewski and Sulaimon had been boiling for some time. The final straw came after the loss at Notre Dame, when Sulaimon complained that he only played 12 minutes. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that Duke was able to come back and beat Virginia without him. So on balance, I’ll defer to Coach K’s judgment and say the team is better off without Sulaimon. In the final analysis, his talent was not worth the aggravation that came with it."
    My favorite lines from this article:
    Is Duke better or worse off without Rasheed Sulaimon? From a purely basketball standpoint, the answer is clearly no.
    Well, that was clear as mud.

I saw this too. Makes some sense in the "Kris Humphries/ Chris Burgess" context, but it seems pretty harsh. Again, don't know the facts or what else was going on.

Seth's take on the Rasheed situation is similar to what I heard talk show host/former college player say. His take was this: Coach K and Rasheed had a meeting and a shouting match took place and we all know how that was going to turnout. But this guessing on everyone's part and the truth will never be known. Sort of like Coach K and Greg Newton's relationship. I've heard many opinions on that situation but still don't know what actually took place. GoDuke!

One thing I am pretty certain of

Coach did this because he thinks its best for the team or best for Rasheed or best for both.

A lot of players have gone through the program in 35 years and I am sure Coach K has put up with a lot. I can fully understand that Rasheed was very frustrated. He anticipated a big role his sophomore year but the staff had a different idea, and one he did not like. The team was built around two forwards who would play one year for Duke. The team lost in the first round to Mercer. Then Coach K recruits 3 stars who are instant starters and Rasheed's role is fuirther reduced. However he needed to accept his role and try to excel in it.

I wish him the best.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Coach did this because he thinks its best for the team or best for Rasheed or best for both.

A lot of players have gone through the program in 35 years and I am sure Coach K has put up with a lot. I can fully understand that Rasheed was very frustrated. He anticipated a big role his sophomore year but the staff had a different idea, and one he did not like. The team was built around two forwards who would play one year for Duke. The team lost in the first round to Mercer. Then Coach K recruits 3 stars who are instant starters and Rasheed's role is fuirther reduced. However he needed to accept his role and try to excel in it.

I wish him the best.

SoCal
    How old is Rasheed?

20? 21?

And yet he has the good grace not to inflame the situation by airing any grievance he might have,

We certainly can aspire to similar discretion. No sense in speculating,

It just seems crazy to me that Coach K would dismiss Suliamon for complaining about minutes and invoking a shouting match. Both are obviously very disrespectful to the coach but a dismissal seems harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSheed View Post
    It just seems crazy to me that Coach K would dismiss Suliamon for complaining about minutes and invoking a shouting match. Both are obviously very disrespectful to the coach but a dismissal seems harsh.
    We still don't know what actually happened.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSheed View Post
    That seemed to just be the last straw. Sounds like Sheed's been doing that for a while. Constant insubordination is bad for team morale and as a leader, you have to take control of the situation.

K did the right thing, if that's how it all went down.

I'm just glad it hasn't been substantiated as other, more serious transgressions.