Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Rasheed Sulaimon Dismissed From Team

Umm, I'm at a loss for words. SHOCKING news.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post

I hardly ever post but this is worthy. What the HELL!?!?!

Has this ever happened mid season to a contributing player? I remember Patrick Davidson got kicked off in the mid 2000s but he wasn't an essential player that played a lot. What the heck happened?

Wow! I'm shocked at this news. As I posted in an earlier thread, Sulaimon is my favorite player on the team...I guess I should say he was my favorite player.
    Bob Green

Well, at least we won't have to deal with "is Coach K playing the bench enough?" angst for the rest of the season. Eek.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post

It's not April 1st yet. The article is pretty straight forward. No punches pulled. GoDuke!

Not happy about this at all. Just keep pouring salt on the wounds. I wonder why he didn't get into the game last night until 2 min to go in the 1st half. I think he was our best shooter on the team.

My first reaction is, "Oh.! That's what's going on." Rasheed seemed flustered and erratic, especially last night but also in other recent games. I am still shocked at this turn of events.

I wish all the best to Rasheed, and perhaps he can return to K's good graces.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

So... how many walk-ons do we have?

My goodness. This is a shock. Rasheed hadn't lived up to what we thought he'd be after an outstanding freshman season, but he was an important contributor to the team and this represents a major loss.

And if Justise and Tyus leave after this year, it represents a gigunda hole for next season.

A lot more minutes for Matt now. I wonder how much more Grayson will see the court with us down to 8 scholarship players.

Wow. I can't believe this. Next man up, hope Grayson and Matt are ready for more PT.

Wow!

One of my favorites! I am speechless.

WHOA - what the heck...who can parse all the official mumbo jumbo and figure out why this happened? This has to be more than showing up late, etc?

This is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    WHOA - what the heck...who can parse all the official mumbo jumbo and figure out why this happened? This has to be more than showing up late, etc?

This is nuts.
    That's what completely flummoxes me. Not demoted. Not suspended indefinitely. DISMISSED.

Something really serious had to have happened. I can't imagine K doing this lightly.

Hi,

At first, I used one of Coach's favorite words a few times. Then concluded, things could be worse, we have a McDonald's All-American to give the PT to immediately. Grayson is very good and would start on many teams!

“Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program,” said Krzyzewski. “It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program.”
    Wow. Given the typical stuff you expect coaches to say in public statements in situations like this, K sounds really, really pissed off.

...Wow.

This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

This is nuts.
    I agree it has to be something serious. The first thing that comes to my mind is it academics? My prayers and best wishes go out to Rasheed. GoDuke!

Stunning. Saddens me. Rasheed was a favorite of mine. I hope he is okay. Great opportunity for Matt and Grayson. I expect they will step up. I am sorry not to see Sheed in a Duke uniform any longer.

Wow, this is really surprising news. Obviously it's bad for the team, but I assume it was only done in response to serious transgressions by Rasheed, so he must really be having some serious problems. I feel badly for him, and hope he can figure things out and get back to wherever he needs to be.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

If there's one thing we've always seen, it's that Coach K plays the long game. Obviously, he must hate doing this to Sheed. And our hearts go out to Sheed, who sure seems like a great kid. But if a player consistently violates the rules (which we can only assume he must have), the coach has got to act. Otherwise you end up with a team that doesn't just fail to follow instructions, but tolerates its star players stealing lobster claws, and much worse. (Again, that's the end result of not taking action on the smaller matters; I'm not suggesting anything close to that is involved here.) Much as I hate, hate this, it's reflective of the kind of program we want Duke to have.